Reasons You Stopped Seeing Your Hairstylist

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the reasons you've left your past hairstylist(s)?
smile.gif

First off, I want to say that I'm a loyal customer if I like the person & the price is right & I'll tolerate it if someone's occasionally late for no more than 30 min.

For me, it's been:

- Price increasing more & more &/or never giving me a discount even though I've been a loyal customer who's always been ON TIME for many yrs.

- One time, I just walked out after seeing this one lady because she had no regard for MY time. She ran late quite often & the last straw was when she was really late & just strolls in nonchalantly & never apologized. I left & never returned.

Well for me I cannot stand hairstylist only because my hair is now 36 1/2 inches long & to do anything other than a trim cost a grip of money !!!! & second they always want to cut way more than i ask for & a scissor happy stylist is so not for me!! Last time i went to a stylist & asked for a few inches off & the lady gave me ugly layers that was 9 yrs ago & now i or my aunt (both cosmo graduates) are the only ones who touch my hair!!!lol

price increase and if the hairstylist cuts more than I ask for or doesn't do a good job. But I love my hairstylist, he is amazing.

my hair stylist went out of business. she closed down. it was a cosy place. and she was really good, treated my hair like her own!

now i hardly go anywhere. i just go for trims but it costs sooo much, i only go once every 3-4 months. which i know is bad. but i can't help it.

i've stopped blow drying my hair or using the flat iron, i have my own steamer at home that i use every week. so i think am good till now.

I'm at a point where I might change.

My stylist cuts the back and sides of my hair perfectly.

When she cuts my bangs they look like absolute crap!

She's a lovely girl and the price is great

But I'm trying to figure out what to do...

It was so relaxing to have somebody else wash and massage my hair and scalp and retwist and groom my locs. But now with a baby $175 every month isn't a luxury I could afford anymore.

I was jumping from salon to salon until I decided to do it myself. Now I enjoy doing it myself.

I feel you Carolyn, i had bangs for years and it's so hard to find a hairstylist that won't ruin your bangs ! I ended up growing all that hair and never will have bangs again.

Price increase (for just a trim), a constant rotation of hairstylists more or less experienced, who will do the job and no more. I recently found a salon i quite like, and they do discounts regularly
smile.gif
Wished they didn't demand an arm and a leg for pro shampoos.

it's way too expensive. I just bought a pair of scissors and do it myself now. I don't care if i mess up, oh well. At least I didn't pay anyone for it and if I mess up I MESSED UP and I can be unhappy, but it wouldn't matter. AT LEAST I didn't waste money on a hair cut. plus we only really need trims and they charge out of the ASS for a trim. wth? it's unecessary.

price increase=fail

it's way too expensive. I just bought a pair of scissors and do it myself now. I don't care if i mess up, oh well. At least I didn't pay anyone for it and if I mess up I MESSED UP and I can be unhappy, but it wouldn't matter. AT LEAST I didn't waste money on a hair cut. plus we only really need trims and they charge out of the ASS for a trim. wth? it's unecessary.

price increase=fail

In the past I've shopped around for new stylists because: of outrageous prices (I think people just get tired of spending forever blow drying my hair and knock up the price), people who were too rough with my sensitive hair/head, and I live in a small town so I hate gossiping stylists, I know as soon as I leave I'm on the chopping block next.

I like but don't love my current hair stylist. Her prices are awesome and I like what she does, but she's going through a divorce right now and isn't very personable of late. It's probably hard to grin and bear it through that hardship.

Originally Posted by Ingrid /img/forum/go_quote.gif price increase and if the hairstylist cuts more than I ask for or doesn't do a good job. But I love my hairstylist, he is amazing. This for me, if the price goes up and the quality goes down (which has happened, lol)

I usually move on to a different stylist if I ask for a trim, and they cut off about 5 inches. lol. It's happened on more than one occasion.

The last time I went to get my hair cut, I took a picture so the new stylist I was seeing could get an idea of what I wanted. I even made sure that the girl in the picture had the same type of hair as me. I showed her the picture, and the first thing she said to me was "That's a pipe dream. It's not going to happen."

Then, after she shampooed my hair, she said "What products do you use? Your scalp is red, it looks like you might be allergic." And I was just thinking to myself...wth...isn't it possible that maybe I'm allergic to whatever you just put in my hair as opposed to what I've been using without any problems? Then she had to take me back to rinse my hair again, because she missed rinsing out some of the shampoo.

Then she tried to tell me that I was causing breakage by wearing my hair up, until I told her that I almost always wear my hair down, so she just said "oh."

She was just a rather unpleasant person altogether.

Yeah, I won't be seeing her again.

I get so nervous when it's time to get my hair cut! lol.

I have never gone to a stylist. I have curly hair, and they would screw it up. I got some fancy schmancy scissors and cut my hair (and my children's hair) at home.

I have only been 2x in my adult life. First time, I had to beg them to do the hair the way I wanted. The second was to get a perm. I have cut my own hair since I was a teen. I cut other people's hair in university so I can get incidentals and my friends' hair. I also do my children's hair.

I'm glad I don't have to go to the salon but every few mos or more. It's just tiring sitting up in a salon for 4 hrs.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...I showed her the picture, and the first thing she said to me was "That's a pipe dream. It's not going to happen." Woah, people have some nerve! I would have asked WHY NOT & unless she had a good reason, I would have said, WELL HERE IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN...ME LEAVING RIGHT NOW & I'd never return.

I've been to several different hairstylists, each one being a problem. I stopped going because I was tired of them actually telling me what to do with MY hair. Like, if I would always ask for a specific style or cut, the lady would be like "Ohhhh but how about..." it just got annoying. I value the opinion of everyone, but this lady was just unreal. Anyways, I got lucky after finding out from my close friend that her sister actually opened up her own salon. Safe to say that I've been there ever since.

Back