Do You Eat Expired Food?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For certain items I am very particular about the expiration date. Like my "milk", my partner's yogurt, the processed/boxed foods, the list drags on BUT if I don't see any mold or weird textures to my bread I may still eat it.

What about you?

If its close... And looks ok but after going through the MIL cupbord and finding stuff out of date by years!! Ekkkkk. We threw all that away..

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif If its close... And looks ok but after going through the MIL cupbord and finding stuff out of date by years!! Ekkkkk. We threw all that away.. It's funny you say that because my mil and my grandma are the same way. Eww!

Its the short term memory loss! They go to the store without a list and can't remember what they needed so they buy the same thing over and over. Lol. My mother once had 9 open jars of olives in her fridge!

If it's not opened and not too far past, yes, especially for canned food.For the yogurts, up until two days after.

For the rest, i toss if i'm not sure, especially milk, cream, homemade milk based desert like creams, custard. Everything we cooked and hasn't been eaten is stored in a tupperware or protected with cling film.

Almost never...even though milk says "sell by" rather than "best by," its sell by date tends to be when it starts to smell strange.

never!!!!! even if its a day or 2 b4 it expires i throw it out I just get so grossed out I cant eat or drink anything thats expired or close to being expired!!!

My grandmas or my step dad if a block of cheese or a loaf of bread has a bit of mold growing they just cut that part off and eat the rest...............so gross!!!lol

I'm going to be the odd one out! For milk, it's suppose to last for a week after it's sell by date. I just smell it and if it looks fine, I'll eat it.

One time there was a great sale going on for eggs so I bought 3 dozen and then my roommate (not knowing I bought some) came home with 3 dozen. So we had 6 dozen eggs. I researched online how to tell when eggs went bad. We ended up using them all. They were fine even 1.5 months after the sell by date.

LOL everyone! It's so funny how the older folks still eat the molded breads.

My boyfriend is so particular about expiration dates... he will throw stuff out the day it expires no matter what, it seems. Ugh...

I've always felt that "best by" date means it will be better if you eat it by then... it isn't really bad at that point. Lol, if it doesn't smell funny or have nasty crap growing on it, I will likely eat it.

Yeah if it doesnt look, smell or taste funny then i will eat it. I wouldnt eat stuff months old though.

I know the old ones in my family would cut off the mold on cheese and stuff. I throw away anything that smells or looks funny. Canned stuff I would eat a week past expiration unless it looks frothy.

Those dates are merely guidelines. It all depends on how you treat the products once you get it home or how you get it home. Milk temporarily stored in a hot car before making it to the counter, then the fridge will spoil faster than their sell by date. Milk left unopened and kept in the fridge its entire shelf like with a 5 minute drive home in an AC cooled car or in the winter will last weeks after expiry date. Cheese of course, if stored properly in an airtight vacuum sealed plastic like those food saves will last months after expiry without mold. It is after all already aged and any further again is not a bad thing. Bread stored in the freezer doesn't go stale. It will have freezer burn after a few months. Those green bags that absorb gases from veggies will make your veggies last weeks longer than no bag or those supplied at the grocery store. Yogurt can be frozen. as well as sour cream and butter. Meat sealed in a food saver - vacuum sealed, airtight bag will last 2 years in the freezer and if the vacuum is not compromised, it wont get freezer burn for up to 3 years. When bananas go brown, throw them in the freezer to make banana bread or smoothies.

With all this being said, would you use expired toothpaste? That also has an expiry date...

I'm very picky when it comes to certain foods and expiration. In order to make my bread last, I keep it frozen, and take out what I want on an as-needed basis, to avoid any mold at all. If it is out already, I might eat it after a thorough inspection.

With meat, I will not eat it past the date, only if its been frozen.

With milk, If it smells "off" to me I wont drink it.

If I dont know for sure about eggs, I will play it safe and not eat them either. I got food poisioning from eggs once, scarred me for life. 

I realised last week I was using milk 6 days past its date but it was still fine. I scrape mold off cheese if it isnt too bad and pick little bits of mold off bread. Iv never been ill from doing this.

Im like others, if its doesn smell, look or feel funny its grub lol

I think far too much is thrown out these days and since we are short on money for the last 12 months I want to get the most out of the things i buy.

Unless it is something that comes out of my freezer, no. A lot of people will drink milk seven days after it expires, lol, I will not. If the expiration date is for today the day before will be my last day of using it. I am just funny style like that.
patches.gif

If it smells funny or looks different I definitely won't touch it. If it's leftovers I won't eat it after a few days of sitting in the fridge.  I thoroughly inspect my food regardless because I've accidentally eaten/drank moldy bread, soup that had bugs in it, spoiled chunky milk, apple juice that had vinegarized and probably a few other things I am forgetting.  This was years ago but it has scarred me lol!

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never!!!!! even if its a day or 2 b4 it expires i throw it out I just get so grossed out I cant eat or drink anything thats expired or close to being expired!!!

My grandmas or my step dad if a block of cheese or a loaf of bread has a bit of mold growing they just cut that part off and eat the rest...............so gross!!!lol

Maybe there's some kind of connection haha, because I can't eat or drink anything that's expired either and my parents do the exact same thing, they cut off the mold and eat the rest. eating anything expired just grosses me out >.<

Latest posts

Back