Sign in to follow this  
Johnnie

Do You Eat Expired Food?

If it smells ok, has no mold and is only a few days past due, sure I do. If it is really old, stinky or odd looking in any way then no.

The expiration date that seems on packaged food is confusing to a lot of people, largely due to the phrases used, such as “Best Before,†“Sell By†or “Use By.†Is food still safe to consume on that date, or slightly after that date? Let's consider saving money by comprehending what that expiration date indicates.

I don't - unless someone serves me something that's expired and I don't know about it. Willingly, I wouldn't do it, because I don't want to risk my health and well-being for no good reason.

Expiration is a guideline in our house.  I check everything before I consume it (make sure no moths have nested in the cake mix from 2005) but absolutely. 

I don't usually have to worry about this, in my house we go through a gallon a milk every two days, sometimes in a day, same thing with bread and cheeses, eggs last a little longer( and I have used them past their date with no ill effects,just checked for freshness first)

all meats in my house are frozen and used within about 3 weeks max. things just go too fast here to even worry about dates, but I still check dates in the store and buy things that can last awhile...say if I forget about a can of tuna or something gets pushed out of sight in the pantry.

For the most part I will use it if it looks,smells, and tastes fine..

I draw the line at mold..I toss it if there is anything growing

I think a lot of mentalities have roots in how you are raised,and circumstances when you set off on your own in life.

Personally, I grew up pretty poor, I was a mom and on my own at 18, and my family taught me a lot about food safety and how longs things really last/ how to tell if it's gone bad.

When i set off on my own my husband,baby and I were doing better than either of us had growing up, but we still has a tight budget as I was a stay at home mom then. We had a couple years after our second child that were real tight. But for the most part we do pretty well now, but we still have a tight budget when it comes to things like groceries...and the way my kids eat if I didn't keep a tight grip on it they would eat us out of house and home. So I think it's important for kids to learn how to make the most of what they have. I also feel that extremes can have a negative effect, like cutting off mold can leave scarred impressions...I would probably guess a lot of kids that see that strive to never "have to" and become obsessive about dates and tossing anything close.

Ugh, this is something my husband and I disagree on...

I use expiration or "best by" dates as guidelines...I'll evaluate it and still enjoy an expired item.

But him, he disregards them altogether!  And is a food hoarder. We have plenty in our fridge that is expired by a long period...and it makes me queasy. I do occasionally sneak something to the trash, but he can get really upset if I get caught. I'm still uncertain why a three-person household needs (no joke) 14 cream cheeses, even if they went on sale after the holidays last year...

I try not to.  I will not eat anything that smells if it has expired.  I do not like to drink milk that is expired but they say it is good for a week after the date, so if it doesn't smell and is not chunky , then I might use it.

If it smells and looks fine, I'll eat/drink it.  I'm currently using milk with a sell-by date of January 22nd in my coffee.  It's right on the verge of expiring, but it will be good enough for tomorrow's coffee.  Sell-by and use-by are different things.  My brother has a similar policy, except he also has a policy of DO NOT LOOK AT EXPIRATION DATES ON CONDIMENTS.  Jams, mustard (which actually shouldn't go bad, but that's a whole separate thing), real maple syrup (if it's refrigerated after opening, it never goes bad.  If it's *not* refrigerated once it's open, I've been told it develops a toxin), ketchup, bbq sauce, pickles -- if it goes on a sandwich and is not meat or cheese, expiration dates are ignored.  Honestly, in our family, we probably only use expiration dates as a "Well, the date on this is four years ago, so if I haven't eaten it by now, I doubt I'll ever eat it" guide to tossing it.  We're *really* bad about cleaning the fridge.

After last weekend, though, I won't use baking mixes (cornbread, brownies, cake, etc.) after the expiration date.  The leavening stuff stops working after a certain amount of time, so you will end up with cornbrick rather than cornbread.  It was as dense as polenta.

Too paranoid for anything but eggs. I feel like with eggs you can easily tell if it's gone bad from the smell and I've eaten eggs a week or two past the sell by date with no issues. If it's questionable, I just use the water bowl test thing I see on Pinterest all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared View Post

Too paranoid for anything but eggs. I feel like with eggs you can easily tell if it's gone bad from the smell and I've eaten eggs a week or two past the sell by date with no issues. If it's questionable, I just use the water bowl test thing I see on Pinterest all the time.

I hate eggs (google "megan jasper eggs" for further information.  I also agree with her about avocados.  I don't have any bad experiences with squirrels, though.  Just an entertaining one involving my brother, a bag of freshly-roasted peanuts, Stanley Park, and a pair of jeans ), so I don't know this from experience (I only buy eggs if I'm making something RIGHT THAT VERY DAY that requires them, like lemon curd or brownies), but the aforementioned brother swears that eggs are good for at least a month after the date on the carton.  I jokingly told him one time that I probably had a carton of three-week-old eggs in my fridge if he wanted them the following week.  He did.  My nephews were delighted at the resulting omelets.  I was repulsed, but not because they were old.  Because they were *eggs*.

Yes. Usually if an item is past code, it is still good -- use your sight and smell. A lot of this food goes to food banks and is distributed to the poor so it is still safe to eat. I used to volunteer feeding the homeless so I know that much of the expired food we throw away is still fine to eat!

Obviously, if something is growing mold, I wouldn't recommend eating it. But oftentimes it is absolutely fine!

The difference between "Best By" and "Sell By" is this - if it is past its Best By date, it's quality may have deteriorated, but it won't harm you.  If it is past its Sell By Date, it may well do so.  You'll probably be all right for abot 4 or 5 days, but after that, who knows.  As for smelling it - forget it.  You can't smell salmonella or botulism.  They just sneak up and kill you.  Really it is NOT worth the risk!

I just can't bring myself to eat expired foods. I try my best to eat everything I purchase before the exp. date but that proves to be difficult most of the time. To prevent this from happening and wasting food I try to shop for what I will eat within a few days.