Do You Recycle?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
RecyclingRebecca_blacklogo_o_large.jpg

In our house we're very much into recycling. Luckily, all we have to do is throw all recyclables into one container and they haul 'em away. However, the company we use doesn't collect glass or 1&2 recyclable bags plastic bags *sigh* So, we kind of have to go out of our way to take them to the dump, where recycling is free to dump. It's alright in the end because we both know it's what's environmentally friendly and that makes us feel good :^)

What about you?

yes once a week they pick up this bin of paper, plastic, & glass.

Additionally they will take yard waste as well. grass, branches etc

In addition i bring other stuff to the landfill especially like used engine oil and antifreeze.

So a big yes! It is part of the daily routine and i fully support it.

Oh yes, we do. Glass, plastic, paper, cans &cardboard. We also use a brita filter instead of getting plastic bottles.

We also have a thing to store rain water, and if we lived permanently at our house we'd have a compost heap.

I also like to purchase recycled paper (you can find great quality recycled paper now), recycled pens, a natural based glue from my childhood (made out of potatoes !) and i love polar fleece. I think recycling isn't just sort out your trash in the appropriate bins, it's also use the products made out of recycled fibers.

Yes. Weekly! All glass. All plastic containers (1-7). All metal food containers. All paper. Magazines. All cardboard.... Twice a year, auto tires.. Batteries.. Old household chemicals... PC and electronics... Used oil (advance auto parts on demand)

I save every piece of metal and a couple times a year take it to the scrap yard. Usually pays for gas and a hamburger.. Did recycle alcyline batteries till recently no one will accept them. Our township also collects leavse 8 times in the fall and takes them to a community compost site. And in the spring the bring the leaf mulch back to the park for anyone to come get and use.. I typically recycle all wood products as fire wood or kindling. Ohhh and plastic bags.... goes back to the grocery store...

not as much as I like. Tennessee makes it extremely hard. There are suppose to be bins where you can go and drop off recyclable items but many stores no longer carry them because they said the broken glass was a danger to their customers.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh yes, we do. Glass, plastic, paper, cans &cardboard. We also use a brita filter instead of getting plastic bottles. We also have a thing to store rain water, and if we lived permanently at our house we'd have a compost heap.

I also like to purchase recycled paper (you can find great quality recycled paper now), recycled pens, a natural based glue from my childhood (made out of potatoes !) and i love polar fleece. I think recycling isn't just sort out your trash in the appropriate bins, it's also use the products made out of recycled fibers.

Big YES to recycling! Like magosienne I like to purchase items made from recycled goods when I can. My g'ma was very progressive for her time and found a use for everything. She lived though the Great Depression and came from a family of 15. Every scrap of material was re-used. I like to do this too. One of my handcraft projects I'm working on now is a quilt made from all my old "travel/concert/cause " t-shirts. When they get too torn or soiled to wear, the graphics become a quilt square and the rest become dust/car care rags. I'm 3/4 of the way done with my quilt and its a really cute, fun walk down memory lane too! I also re-work my wardrobe constantly re-cutting and changing to keep in style. I like the challenge of staying current and using what I have. Another plus to this is I don't feel so guilty when I do spurlge on a new item I want. I love fixing up junk store finds too. My friends love what I do with basic wood kitchen chairs and have asked for them as gifts. I'm kinda of a "Miss Martha" when it comes to crafts.

That's so great you're finding ways to re-use these materials. I also like to buy products that contain recycled goods. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :^)

Yes- we have curbside glass, paper, plastic (not plastic bags) recycling.

We compost most of our food (no meat) for the garden.

i suppose there are other things that people could do.

my biggest gripe is about plastic grocery store bags. There is no place to recycle them! not at the stores..my SO makes good use of them though. they are starting to encourage using your own bags at the store by giving a small discount for each bag you bring. in canada they do the opposite. each plastic bag you take is like .03 each.

i also do the composting thing too for many many years. lots of good quality top soil for free as i have lots of trees. oh and I have a shredder too so that's what i would use around the flower beds.

I do recycle. Stores like Fairway give you a small discount if you bring a bag. I think Wholefoods does too.

We reduce and reuse. We drop off the plastic bags at walmart to be recycled. It's so sad we don't have recycle days here.

I don't recycle. We live in possibly the literal middle of nowhere and it's a long way to a recycling center.

We try to live green in other ways. I use cloth shopping bags. We do alot of consignment shopping which makes me feel good about not using up more resources for things I want, especially plastic items. I cloth diapered my son (which I actually really enjoyed, sounds weird, but his diapers were cute!). I also make most of the household cleaners that I use so they're chemical free. I used to be better about line-drying but I haven't been doing it through the winter, I need to use that sun this summer. I haven't given up the paper towel habit but I've cut down drastically and usually reach for rags instead. And, not to gross everyone out, but if we're not having company over I usually let yellow mellow
laughing.gif
. Hope that wasn't TMI!

^That's great you used cloth diapers. I wanted to so badly but honestly they intimidated me. If I have another child I'll be sure to use cloth diapers next time.

What do you mean by yellow mellow?

i don't recycle when i'm at uni, they don't provide us with recycling bins and the nearest one is like 3 miles away. it really sucks but its like that in a lot of private student housing over here. we just have huge wastebins that EVERYTHING goes into. i don't really like living like that but it's only for a few more months.

at home we have two bins, one for general waste that can't be recycled and another for recycleable things.

Yes, we have bins once a week. I don't have to buy water bottles, b/c there is a purifier that was installed in our house when we bought it. If anyone has tasted Central Florida water, it is NASTY, it tastes so bad. I use cloth bags when I can, grocery store, drugstore, etc. If I have to use a plastic bag, I reuse it for chicken bones or other stinky stuff. I do use tiny plastic bags for my dog's doo though. I try to recycle as much as I can, but I do throw some stuff away.

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^That's great you used cloth diapers. I wanted to so badly but honestly they intimidated me. If I have another child I'll be sure to use cloth diapers next time.
What do you mean by yellow mellow?

blush.gif
"If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down." Flushing less conserves water.

Yes I recycle.

Once a week recycled materials (plastic, papers, glass etc) get picked up curbside with garbage.

I also use canvas/cloth bags for shopping. A few grocery stores will take plastic bags for recycling.

There are places that take old electronic equipment (cell phones, vcr's, tv's, microwaves, computers etc) for recycling. I've done that twice now.

Community centres around here have large recycling boxes for drop offs of plastics, bottles etc in their parking lots.

Latest posts

Back