I think its the moisturizer!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Its been a while since I have posted anything and my bad if there is already a thread about this but...I think there is a problem with moisturizers and my long time MMU and how it wears...

I am a long time user of silk naturals, and the other day after I applied my MMU, I noticed that my face has been looking...gross! Flaky and everything magnified and just blah. I'm thinking...wtf? I have been using this for a long time no prob and haven't had any problems. I started to trace back and I have switched moisturizers...Cerave to be exact. It absorbs without that greasy feel thinking it was perfect. Nope. My MMU looks ashy and dry after buffing it on. In the past I have used: avocado oil, grapseed oil, Nivea cream, ROC 30 spf and others. All of these underneath have given me that luminess dewy melted perfection that MMU is supposed to give. SO I'm thinking, moisturizer underneath is probably the reason why some MMU doesn't go on dewy and why people keep switching.

What do you all think? What moisturizer do you use that gets you that dewy look? Better yet, what ingredients do moisturizers need in order to interact with MMU?

I agree. I use to use Aubrey Organics Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15. It contains a lot of oils in it and my MMU would always go on smoothly. Then I switched to a moisturizer with acne ingredients and my makeup no longer goes on as smoothly.

I've noticed the same thing, but kind of reversed. I've nearly always used Olay moisturizers, and they've always left my face a bit more... I don't know, I don't want to say oily or greasy because that isn't it! Maybe more shiny? So when I'd apply my MMU, I'd get that great dewy look at first. Unfortunately that "dewiness" would turn into "oil slick" after just a few hours, and I don't have naturally oily skin. So for that reason, wearing MMU was difficult for me. With liquid foundation it still looked great... In fact, I prefered to use the more glowy moisturizers with those. I guess because they controlled oil/shine better so I retained the dewy look.

Recently though, I discovered Silk Naturals and started using their foundation along with a couple of their serums as moisturizers and I am so amazed at how well my MMU looks. It's matte, but not chalky or dry-looking. It does have a glow, but not an oily or really even "dewy" glow. Just a natural, healthy skin glow. And my skin stays that way all day.

So I would definitely agree with you, it's the moisturizer!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree. I use to use Aubrey Organics Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15. It contains a lot of oils in it and my MMU would always go on smoothly. Then I switched to a moisturizer with acne ingredients and my makeup no longer goes on as smoothly. I love Aubrey products! I have to look into that moisturizer to see the ingredients because it might be the oils in it that makes MMU look so nice.

Originally Posted by shortcake /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've noticed the same thing, but kind of reversed. I've nearly always used Olay moisturizers, and they've always left my face a bit more... I don't know, I don't want to say oily or greasy because that isn't it! Maybe more shiny? So when I'd apply my MMU, I'd get that great dewy look at first. Unfortunately that "dewiness" would turn into "oil slick" after just a few hours, and I don't have naturally oily skin. So for that reason, wearing MMU was difficult for me. With liquid foundation it still looked great... In fact, I prefered to use the more glowy moisturizers with those. I guess because they controlled oil/shine better so I retained the dewy look.
Recently though, I discovered Silk Naturals and started using their foundation along with a couple of their serums as moisturizers and I am so amazed at how well my MMU looks. It's matte, but not chalky or dry-looking. It does have a glow, but not an oily or really even "dewy" glow. Just a natural, healthy skin glow. And my skin stays that way all day.

So I would definitely agree with you, it's the moisturizer!
smile.gif

I have noticed that exact same effect when I apply avocado oil, grapeseed or any oil. The dewiness is there but then later I look like an oily mess, thats why I am trying to switch and see what moisturizers everyone is using. I haven't tried any of silk naturals serums, I probably want to look into that. THanks!

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cetaphil is my preference. It gives that dewiness I love! Cetaphil...haven't used that in a while and haven't used it under MMU, I'll check into that too!

during the day, I use Shiseido Bio Performance Advanced Super Revitalizer. I love this stuff. At night I use a mix of sweet almond oil and shea oil. Its a miracle mix. You wake up with super soft skin!

I really like Shisedo, I used to use one of their cleansers. I will add that to my list thanks! As for night time stuff, I am using avocado oil but switching soon, I didn't know they make a shea oil, I have heard of shea butter tho!

Originally Posted by pretty_pink13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I really like Shisedo, I used to use one of their cleansers. I will add that to my list thanks! As for night time stuff, I am using avocado oil but switching soon, I didn't know they make a shea oil, I have heard of shea butter tho! Avocado oil is more for mature skin, it is heavy. Shea oil is the awesome and more awesome mixed with sweet almond oil!!I get it from Coastalscents.com. Unrefined shea butter is hard and hard to work with. I make a whipped shea butter by adding other oils to it and whipping the crap out of it in the kitchenaid. Here's the blurb on shea oil.

Shea oil possesses all of the beneficial properties of shea butter. Shea Olein is obtained by fractionating shea butter to separate the olein (liquid) and the Stearin (solid).

It, however, has a lower melting point and recommended when the formulation requires a liquid instead of a butter: liquid soaps, gel, creams and for room temperature process.

Shea Olein is a high value ingredient for cosmetics due to its high content of un-saponifiables, UV absorbing properties and essential fatty acid triglycerides.

In many applications and types of product, shea oil may be included in: Sun Care and After Sun Products, Hand and Body Lotions, Shaving and Depilatory Preparations, First Aid Creams, Bath Oil Rubs, Liniments, Ointments and many more

If you are thinking avocado is a bit heavy, you can add it to some shea oil and sweet almond and it will add extra moisturizing. I made some for some of my friends with drier skin. I also add it to my body oil that I keep in the shower, my legs get scaly.

I agree, avocado imo is best used for your body or your hair (it does wonders on dry hair), and unrefined shea butter is great but it has that sort of grainy/sandy texture which means you have to heat it between your palms to work with it.

I think it can be the moisturizer. I use a moisturizer which is a blend of different oils and one thing i've noticed is if it's not completely absorbed before i put anything else on my skin, the other product above will melt.

Same goes with my moisturizer and my mineral foundation (Lumiere for now), the two together kill my foundation's staying power, even with powder on.

I didn't seem to have the same problems with my past creamy moisturizers.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree, avocado imo is best used for your body or your hair (it does wonders on dry hair), and unrefined shea butter is great but it has that sort of grainy/sandy texture which means you have to heat it between your palms to work with it.
I think it can be the moisturizer. I use a moisturizer which is a blend of different oils and one thing i've noticed is if it's not completely absorbed before i put anything else on my skin, the other product above will melt.

Same goes with my moisturizer and my mineral foundation (Lumiere for now), the two together kill my foundation's staying power, even with powder on.

I didn't seem to have the same problems with my past creamy moisturizers.

I have not noticed any graininess in my shea butters. I don't use it straight out of the bag tho. I melt it mixed with jojoba, grapeseed, shea oil and flax or whatever I feel like with some rice powder and whip it like mad over a long period of time. If you let it cool too quickly, the butter does become grainy but 30 min in the kitchenaid then putting it in the fridge works fine. I buy from Coastal Scents so I've not had any experience with another supplier for raw shea butter. I only use any oils at night tho. They do strange things to my MMU, like you said. I use Shiseido Bio performance advanced super revitalizer during the day. I still love it after 15 years of using it but it is pricey so I use it sparingly.

Mine is the pure kind so it's the way it is, once you melt it and blend with other ingredients that problem disappears.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mine is the pure kind so it's the way it is, once you melt it and blend with other ingredients that problem disappears. Pure as in unrefined? That's how I get it but I don't use it the way it comes from the supplier.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Avocado oil is more for mature skin, it is heavy. Shea oil is the awesome and more awesome mixed with sweet almond oil!!I get it from Coastalscents.com. Unrefined shea butter is hard and hard to work with. I make a whipped shea butter by adding other oils to it and whipping the crap out of it in the kitchenaid. Here's the blurb on shea oil.

Shea oil possesses all of the beneficial properties of shea butter. Shea Olein is obtained by fractionating shea butter to separate the olein (liquid) and the Stearin (solid).

It, however, has a lower melting point and recommended when the formulation requires a liquid instead of a butter: liquid soaps, gel, creams and for room temperature process.

Shea Olein is a high value ingredient for cosmetics due to its high content of un-saponifiables, UV absorbing properties and essential fatty acid triglycerides.

In many applications and types of product, shea oil may be included in: Sun Care and After Sun Products, Hand and Body Lotions, Shaving and Depilatory Preparations, First Aid Creams, Bath Oil Rubs, Liniments, Ointments and many more

If you are thinking avocado is a bit heavy, you can add it to some shea oil and sweet almond and it will add extra moisturizing. I made some for some of my friends with drier skin. I also add it to my body oil that I keep in the shower, my legs get scaly.

Thanks for the info on shea oil, I think I might try some...I agree that it is really heavy and in fact maybe not that suitable for my skin, at least my face.

Originally Posted by pretty_pink13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for the info on shea oil, I think I might try some...I agree that it is really heavy and in fact maybe not that suitable for my skin, at least my face. I keep a pump bottle half and half shea and sweet almond oils at my night table. Perfect from head to toe. You can use avocado on your hair like a hair moisture mask.

Lately my skin has been blah using my moisturizer (Collective Wellbeing Weightless Moisturizer) paired with Earthen Glow Minerals Cover Me Glow Foundation. I can't remember what moisturizer I used a couple of years ago that always made me skin look so lovely with whatever foundation I used. So now I'm trying out St. Ive's Collagen Elastin facial moisturizer and see how it works. Its got rave reviews on Epinions and several other websites, so I'm hoping to have good luck with it.

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lately my skin has been blah using my moisturizer (Collective Wellbeing Weightless Moisturizer) paired with Earthen Glow Minerals Cover Me Glow Foundation. I can't remember what moisturizer I used a couple of years ago that always made me skin look so lovely with whatever foundation I used. So now I'm trying out St. Ive's Collagen Elastin facial moisturizer and see how it works. Its got rave reviews on Epinions and several other websites, so I'm hoping to have good luck with it. Interesting, I have read a lot of good reviews on St. Ives moisturizers as well. I will check it out too. Right now I am trying to find make a list of moisturizers people say that are compatible with mineral makeup. Thanks!

Back