Cardio Suggestions...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since the beginning of Feb, I've lost 55 lbs. I've been stuck at 55lbs for a few weeks now and feel like I need to increase my cardio. I'm at the gym every day for about 1 - 1.5 hours. I spend half the time doing cardio, the other half resistance training. Currently, I jog, jump rope, jumping jacks, take Zumba classes, elliptical and exercise bike. Other then walking, which I find extremely boring, can anyone suggest some other forms of cardio I could incorporate?

I would suggest that you do more strength training rather than cardio training.

If you do a hard one hour session, you would burn as many calories as aerobics.

You would also be increasing your metabolism, which would allow you to burn more calories throughout the day.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to agree too. You can try it out for several weeks and see how it goes.

Ice Hockey!! Get out your skates, Gina!!
smile.gif

If you have the endurance (I don´t, I`ve tried and failed. It felt like I was dying after only 4 minutes) you can do tabata style workouts. They are under 10min long I believe, with very short breaks in between, but VERY intense exercises. Not only does it boost your metabolism but also burns calories for hours after you´re already done working out.

A lighter form would be high intensity interval training, HIIT, (i.e. sprinting for 60 or 90sec, then jogging for 30sec), which burns more calories than traditional cardio that´s always at the same pace.

And I agree with the others, start lifting (heavy) weights if you´re not doing that already. It´s just as important as cardio

Yeah, I do strength training right now. I try to incorporate the weights into my cardio when possible. My arms are actually getting defined with muscle. I just hate the stubborn plateaus i seem to be hitting a lot lately, I like results, i dont like it when the number on the scale doesnt go down!!!!

^The thing is that muscle does weigh more than fat so although you may not weigh less you may still be losing inches. You're gaining more muscle and losing fat, which is a good thing ;^)

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^The thing is that muscle does weigh more than fat so although you may not weigh less you may still be losing inches. You're gaining more muscle and losing fat, which is a good thing ;^) Yeah, thats true Johnnie. I havent done my inches in 2 months, at last check I was at 58 inches lost (from everywhere...I measure every part). So who knows what its at now.
I've decided to stop weighing myself so often, im going to do it every 2 weeks instead of every few days. Weight fluctuates so much at any given time that daily doesnt seem realistic and just discourages me. I dunno, to me I think i've done pretty good within the time frame that I started trying, im extremely motivated but unfortunetly (or fortunately depends how you look at it) my motivation is driven by success.

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, I do strength training right now. I try to incorporate the weights into my cardio when possible. My arms are actually getting defined with muscle. I just hate the stubborn plateaus i seem to be hitting a lot lately, I like results, i dont like it when the number on the scale doesnt go down!!!! When I said weight training, I meant training like you are an athlete.You have to target every muscle group with at least one strength training exercise or preferably two.

There are a few body building sites that give free info about how to do squats, crunches and pushups (as examples) where you will see results pretty fast.

Start with a half hour of cardio and 10 minutes of stretching.

Strength train without including cardio for 45 minutes.

Stretch for 10 minutes after strength training.

Follow this routine and you'll see inches disappear.

I suggest 3 days running (interval between speed 7.5 up to 10 or 11 if you can for at least 1 min)

2 days spinning

Tonning:

lunges 25 (3 sets)

squats 25 (3 sets)

dips 15 (3 sets)

Lat. Raise 20 (3 sets) (weights 5-10 LB)

biceps curls (3 sets) (weights 5-10 LB)

abs full crunches (3 sets of 30 rep)

russian twist (3 sets of 30 rep)

I took for granted how great swimming is as exercise. We recently moved to a subdivision with a pool. I've been taking the kids every day and I've lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Of course, I also stay on a non-processed carbohydrate and sugarfree diet. 154 to 144. I hope to be 134 by Fall!

Checking your bodyfat % or measuring yourself will always be much more sensible than going on a scale. It's just a number, it doesn't take into account any muscle mass, excess water, body waste or anything else.

Weight training is definitely a key component in losing body fat. But lift heavy, you won't get bulky because you don't have the testosterone to do so.

(The average female at her testosterone peak is only about 1/3 of a male at his lowest test levels, or 1/18 at his peak, if that gives you any indication)

HIIT is a very effective means for cardio, and will end up saving you a lot of time as well. There are different variations, but you can try 5 minutes warmup. Then 1 minute max intensity, 1 minute slow paced (these 2 minutes=one set), and do this for around 8-10 sets. Then end off with a 5 minute cooldown. Making sure you drink plenty of water, perhaps mixed with BCAAs and some B vitamins

Cardio is an excellent way to boost your stamina. But, as far as loosing weight is concerned I would personally recommend you to eat healthy. I also prefer using Alli weight loss pills. With a commitment to healthier eating, regular exercise regime and Alli weight loss pills, I managed to loose oodles of weight in the past few months. Try it, I'm sure Alli will prove to be beneficial for your weight loss goals.

Latest posts

Back