"Homemade" Castile Soap vs Homemade Castile Soap

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's the long weekend here in Canada. Victoria Day!! I'm off work and I have to feed my need to create something. I was watching Youtube where someone was making liquid soap.

He was using grated bar soap and I had plans to make castile soap from scratch. I wanted to know which is better.

"Homemade" castile soap -

1. Grate 3 bars of Val's Veggie Bars unscented (solid castile soap @$3.99 for 3)

2. Add water

3. Add essential oils or fragrance or pick a pack which is already scented.

- 3 bars of soap makes 2.5L+ of liquid soap. Time spent - 5min grating. Product is finished in about 3hrs or if you do it before bed, it'll be done in the morning. I'm planning to use it as doggy shampoo and hand soap for the bathrooms.

Homemade castile soap

A whole bunch of weighing, cooking, more cooking, some caustic material (Lye), protective gear, more cooking. In fact, 4-5hrs worth of cooking the soap paste in a slow cooker. When the soap paste reaches the appropriate 'done-ness', you add water to dissolve it to make liquid soap. This takes another 3-4hrs or til morning. In the morning, I'll portion them into bottles and add the scents that everyone wanted (3 almond and 1 mint). The recipe makes approximately 8L. It cost me about $20 in additional materials (I already had some oils that were used). I didn't use all of ingredients so I have enough for another batch later...much much later.

Verdict - if you want the benefits of a natural liquid soap and not the work, make some 'homemade' liquid soap.

Latest posts

Back