1.7 million dishwashers recalled - fire hazard!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whirlpool Corp.'s Maytag unit is recalling about 1.7 million dishwashers because of a fire hazard.

s-MAYTAG-RECALL-large.jpg

The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which announced the recall Thursday, says the company, part of Whirlpool Corp., has received 12 reports of electrical failures in the dishwasher heating element that led to fires and damage.

One kitchen fire caused extensive damage, the agency said. No injuries have been reported.

The recall includes Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa by Maytag and Crosley brand dishwashers with plastic tubs. The recalled dishwashers were made with black, bisque, white, silver and stainless steel front panels and sold at department and appliance stores nationwide from February 2006 through April 2010. They cost between $250 and $900.

CPSC advises consumers to immediately stop using the recalled dishwashers and disconnect the electric supply by shutting off the fuse or circuit breaker controlling it.

Consumers can schedule a free in-home repair or receive a rebate of $150 or $250 toward the purchase of select new Maytag dishwashers. The amount of the rebate depends on the type of model to be purchased.

A company spokeswoman says Whirlpool set aside $75 million to cover the costs of the recall.

More information on the numerous serial numbers involved in the recall can be found at the company's website or the website for the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The recall is Maytag's second of more than a million major appliances in a little more than a year. It recalled 1.6 million refrigerators because of fire risks in March 2009.

Source - Maytag Dishwasher Recall 2010: Huge Recall Of 1.7 Million Dishwashers

Yeah!! My wife said she wouldn't mind if ours was recalled and replaced with one that actually cleaned dishes!

Those are nice! Our 20 year old Kitchen Aid was nice 20 years ago! She also wants an oven that you don't have to prop the door closed with a broom!

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Those are nice! Our 20 year old Kitchen Aid was nice 20 years ago! She also wants an oven that you don't have to prop the door closed with a broom! The appliances came with the house. I'd not buy another Kitchen Aid range again. GARBAGE! It's good that your's has lasted 20 + years. Although I would not be able to deal with an oven door you have to prob closed with a stick. I'll have to ask my sister what dishwasher she has.
BTW... what kind of an Engineer are you?

Underground mining engineer!
smile.gif
. And I have rebuilt the dishwasher a couple times! I'm getting ready to re-remodel the kitchen. So all new appliances.

My summer job back in the days of college was working for General Electric fixing various appliances. I got to ride around in my van, and visit people's homes and find out that the average person is so technically unsophisticated that it isn't even funny. So I also learned quite a bit about the construction, the features and the reliability of dishwashers. and probably the biggest thing i learned is that the people using them were the biggest problem that existed. People expect to use a dishwasher as a garbage disposal which can lead to some pretty disgusting results. GE always seemed like a good value although I would never preclude some other brands from getting purchased.

I never did hear what kind of design flaw existed that would warrant such a massive recall. It is a bit ironic as in the consumer tests the Maytag/Whirlpool consistently got high marks.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif it uses the heat of the water and rinsing agent to dry the dishes rather than having a heating element. Actually any dishwasher will adequately dry the dishes even without the heated drying being on. Always use an anti-spotting agent like Jet-Dry it does make a marked improvement. Regarding Heated Drying, turning that off is the biggest cost savings that anyone can make.

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Underground mining engineer!
smile.gif
. And I have rebuilt the dishwasher a couple times! I'm getting ready to re-remodel the kitchen. So all new appliances. My DH is a construction engineer, specializing in building mines!

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif Actually any dishwasher will adequately dry the dishes even without the heated drying being on. Always use an anti-spotting agent like Jet-Dry it does make a marked improvement. Regarding Heated Drying, turning that off is the biggest cost savings that anyone can make.

It may but this one is certified sanitized and the dishwasher is specifically designed to do so.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif It may but this one is certified sanitized and the dishwasher is specifically designed to do so. actually as in american life there is an ANSI standard that residential dishwashers have to follow
Don't get me wrong you have a really fine dishwasher with your Bosch. I really like their power tools too. It just costs a lot of money.

Latest posts

Back