My First Eye Shadow Recipe - it itches a bit!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made an eye shadow preparation. These are the ingredients:

• 1 scoop blue mica
  • 1 scoop Egyptian emerald mica
  • 1 scoop sunrise gold mica
  • 2 scoops titanium dioxide oil dispersible
  • 2 scoops M.M. Mica
Could anyone tell me why it was a little itchy after a while? Could it be just me having an allergic reaction, or does it look like it will irritate anyone? Thanks!

TKB's Matte Texture Base for Eyes

is the link to TKB trading Matte eyeshadow base. The stuff is awesome and cheap! Perhaps it's the large amount of titanium oxide in your base.

Check out the recipes in CS formulator and you'll get an idea of how much Titanium oxide you need. I think your e/s would be very OPAQUE by the amount you have used. It will look unnatural. The base should be no more than 1/2 of your formula. You are over with 4 scoops for base to 3 scoops pigment. You have titanium oxide at 14% which would be appropriate for a medium coverage foundation but not for eyeshadow.

Russet Red Matte Eye Shadow is a recipe that includes the base. Give this one a try, must sub the oxides for pigments. You will have to grind you base first and then mix your pigments with the base in a baggy.

Ah there we go. I've made some better ones now
smile.gif
They don't itch, lol

Here's one:

• 2 scoops Magnesium Myristate Mica
  • 1 scoop Zinc Oxide
  • 1 scoop Titanium Dioxide
  • 1 scoop Kaolin Clay
  • 2 scoops Brown Iron Oxide
  • 6 scoops Chocolate Milk Satin Mica
  • 4 scoops Antique Gold Mica
and another:
  • 2 scoops M.M. Mica
  • 1 scoop Zinc Oxide
  • 1 scoop Kaolin Clay
  • 3 scoops Chromium Green Oxide
  • 5 scoops Egyptian Emerald Mica
  • 1 scoop Black Star Green Mica
  • 3 scoops Shimmering Moss Mica
They look nice, adhere nicely, last long, and have a good slip, and they don't make me itch. What do you think of these recipes?

Originally Posted by cavelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here's one:
  • 2 scoops Magnesium Myristate Mica
  • 1 scoop Zinc Oxide
  • 1 scoop Kaolin Clay
  • 2 scoops Brown Iron Oxide
  • 6 scoops Chocolate Milk Satin Mica
  • 4 scoops Antique Gold Mica
Did you grind the oxide with your base first then hand mix the mica? I'd use 1/2 scoops on the zinc and titanium O2. You'll probably use less of the colours that way. 10 scoops of mica? How big are the scoops? This stuff will last you an eternity even if you had it out to every friend you know!

Originally Posted by cavelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  • 2 scoops M.M. Mica
  • 1 scoop Zinc Oxide
  • 1 scoop Kaolin Clay
  • 3 scoops Chromium Green Oxide
  • 5 scoops Egyptian Emerald Mica
  • 1 scoop Black Star Green Mica
  • 3 scoops Shimmering Moss Mica
They look nice, adhere nicely, last long, and have a good slip, and they don't make me itch. What do you think of these recipes? Do you have swatches? I would really love to see the browns. Green makes me look bad but the colours you chose would be a nice combo.

Talc, French 70.00%

Sericite 12.00%

silk Mica 9.00%

Zinc Oxide 5.00%

Magnesium Stearate Powder 2.00%

Titanium Dioxide - Oil & Water Soluble 2.00%

I took this from the CS Formulator 3in1 base. This base is pretty reasonable to me even if you upped the TO2 to 5% and ZnO at 5%. I would sub the talc for plain mica. You are still heavy on them both. You are then required to compensate for the 'whiteness' of those 2 things by adding alot more colour. Where you are using dark colours you really don't need too much base. Those oxides stick to your skin pretty good. You can also pre-make a dark base by adding black oxide to your existing base, grind it all together and keep it for those occasions where you need a dark base.

I didn't grind the base with oxide first. I didn't hand mix mica. I threw everything into the magic bullet and ground it up. The green color I think has too much chrom. green oxide, because when the powder falls onto the cheeks, it stains the cheeks when you brush it off.

Otherwise the color is really rich. These batches of eyeshadows I made were extremely small. 1 scoop was about 1/16th of a teaspoon! Given that info, should I still reduce the amounts of ZnO and TiO2 by half?

I don't want to use talc or mag. stearate in my makeup. I read somewhere that they could clog pores, and I have really oily skin as it is.

I'll take some pics tis afternoon of the colors I made and show them to you.

if grind the mica, it'll ruin the shimmer. You should never grind them all together. You have to grind the oxides and the base together but all that lovely shimmer is damaged when you grind them too. You should put your base in a plastic baggy and with the mica and 'shmoosh' them together to combine. You will notice a difference in your mix.

You were using a sm scoop. You just mentioned scoop so I didn't know. There's small, medium and large scoops.

Ah yes, small scoop. Sorry I wasn't clear on that!

I noticed that my eyeshadows lost their shimmer. But I didn't know that's why. I'm new to this!

So can I assume if you want to keep shimmer in anything (blushes, bronzers, etc) you hand mix the colored micas?

as long as you are using micas, yes. Oxides need to be ground or they'll streak. I would suggest that you read up on this because there are lots of information on making mmu out there but you like jumping in which is good but also need to read stuff because it's your skin that you are playing with and skin irritations are something you can avoid by doing more research.

I will do some more reading. I was just so excited to make beautiful colors! Thanks so much for helping me out
smile.gif

Just thought I'd watch out for you. Somethings will irritate you at larger concentrations and products are never cheap so I just would not want you to waste any more than you have to. You should post some swatches!!!

Cool! They are nice colours! Its so exciting trying to see what colours you can come up with, I know. I spent hours and hours making different colours when I first got my ingredients. I'm still that way now. I did start with the TKB matte shadow base and a bunch of sample micas. I progressed from eyeshadows to mineral makeup and from there, I made eye pencils and lipsticks and lipbalms and blushes. Now I'm into making lotions, oils and soaps. Its like a big avalanche of DIY! I get kinda obsessed.

Thanks
smile.gif

I can see how this is like a DIY avalanche lol. I'm already considering making my own lotions and soaps!

But first I want to learn MMU....

Yah! Soaps and lotions are my new passions. They kinda go hand in hand after the oils... I started making oils - cleansing oils and body oils then lotions by accident because I didn't realize I had purchased an emulsifier some time ago. I am now trying to duplicate my Shiseido Bio Performance Advanced Super Revitalizer. At $90+tax, I have some incentive to do it. I have a few ingredients on order and I'm waiting for them to arrive.

i think that you have to make sure about the right doses, because if you add more than enough of Egyptian emerald mica, you may have some bad feelings about the whole thing

Originally Posted by hans_maddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks,I'm already considering making my own lotions! Go for it! I just started but I love them.

Latest posts

Back