Do you TIP?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If so...

1. Why do you?
  2. What percentage?
  3. If not, why not?
  4. Do you feel you should either way?
I Finland, where my wife is from, they don't tip and our US custom is practically unheard of.

Always....

Food - 15 - 20% for good service....

WAY less for poor service....

Hotels... Tip housekeeping $5.00 per night...

Because I can.... because I appreciate good service.....

Yes, I always tip. I would feel like a jerk if I didn't leave a tip after a meal, and I often overtip when I'm splitting a check with people who think leaving a $1 or $2 tip is ok on a $25 tab.

I tip because I know servers make less than minimum wage and rely on the tips they make to pay for their living expenses.

IMO if you can't afford to tip your server 20% for great service, you really can't afford to eat out at a restaurant.

over here we only tip in restaurants and ONLY if it's good service or if we like the restaurant. it's usually 10%. i never tip for bad service, there's no obligation to.

over here we have a minimum wage of around £5.80 an hour, and tips are divided equally amongst staff. you guys don't have a minimum wage so i can totally understand tipping on everything- its the same in the rest of europe i think. when we go on holiday to greece or italy (not france, i don't think) we always tip with meals and drinks, regardless of service.

I do, same as Karren, 15-20% if it's good. If service sucks, I'd let them know I wouldn't tip if it weren't required and tip the minimum.

Never thought to tip Housekeeping tho...

I tip around 20% for restaurant services.

I also tip housekeepers because I use to be a housekeeper. You make minimum wage and your bosses say that tips are going to supplement your income. I was lucky if I made $50 in tips over a years time.

I tip maids in hotels, cab drivers, especially at spas because it's really hard work. I tip the least for waiters/waitress unless they are nice and can provide me with a good service.

I always tip 15-20% for restaurants, but I'm starting to not be able to afford it and I go to places where I don't have to tip, because there is no waitress. I treated my guy to red lobster on fri because he did well on a test, the bill came to 78.00 with tip. I won't be doing that in a long time! Lesson learned.

I also tip for beauty services a few dollars. My eyebrow waxer is so awesome and she really deserves a tip.

Back in the day, servers/waiters received less than minimum wage, by a dollar.

Not sure if that is the case now, but is was in Ontario 20 years ago.

I always leave a nice tip - 20%, if the service was decent.

And it doesn't have to be a restaurant: I tip folks that scoop out an ice cream for me and my hair stylist only charges $13, and I always give here a $20.

But once I left nothing when I ate in a highly rated restaurant in Toronto.

The bill came to well over $50 yet neither even drank any alcohol.

The waiter was a complete jerk. He sat us right beside the kitchen yet there were much nicer tables available. He would walk by our table without checking on us. And when we would call him over he acted like he was doing us a big service.

Sorry - his snootiness and bad manners cost him at least $25.

1. I always tip in restaurants, for delivery service (ie. pizza), beauty services and taxis. Really for just about any service I receive.

2. 20%

3. Even if service was terrible I would still leave a tip. It would just be about 10%-15%.

4. Yes. I know that for wait staff and bartenders they are relying on tips. I've been in their shoes and know how important tipping is.

I agree with Sooperficial's comment that if you can't afford to tip then you shouldn't go out to eat. I've heard reports that in this tight economy people are cutting back on tipping and the restaurant staff are really feeling the pinch. It's too bad that they get gipped like that.

It's refreshing to hear about people tipping housekeeping staff!!!! I did housekeeping for a couple of years in Las Vegas - one of the busiest tourist destinations worldwide tips were few and far between, but DEFINITELY appreciated!!! It's damn hard work for the money...

I tip usually about 30%, when I get really, really good service, 15% when it's just good, and way less, if at all for bad service. I think sometimes tipping them little sends a stronger message than not tipping at all.

As a bartender & makeup artist I love tips So I tip always since I know what it feels like for me to be tipped!!!I dont do percentage or whats right I just tip what i feel is right based on the service given!!!
smile.gif

i tip cause i know they dont get payed much i use to work for a restaurant and i know the feeling of working all day to go home to only 10 bux. i always tip my change or more. so if my meal was 10 i pay with a 20 i give them my 10.

Nope, i just don't feel like it, i suppose, and i never really know what to give either.

I tend to tip %15 as average... so lower if I receive bad service, higher if I am impressed.

I do have a friend who doesn't tip because she thinks that they are making an hourly rate anyway and regardless that is their job so why give them extra money when all they are doing is the job they are suppose to do. Not like we get tipped for doing our everyday office jobs.

1. Why do you?

Only because I don't want people to spit in my food. I don't think people should have to tip. Occasionally I do get service that I want to tip, not just out of fear of gross stuff in my food lol.

2. What percentage?

20%

3. If not, why not?

I don't tip places like coffee stands that put out a plastic cup with the word Tips on it. I don't think they are standard places to tip, and I can see them making my coffee spit free anyway lol

4. Do you feel you should either way?

No. It is not the job of consumers to make up the difference that employers don't pay their employees.

I realize how cold that sounds, but I don't think service jobs will ever get decent pay if employers know employees will make a living without a decent pay rate by collecting tips.

^^but you usually pay your bill after you eat. So they won't spit in your food unless they have a real big problem with you because you would've already eaten your food by the time the bill comes around. Or that is how it works in Canada.

i always tip at least 15-18% , sometimes i could do better though

I tip for GOOD service, so needless to say, bad service will not garner a tip from me.

I will tip to round off my bill at approx 10-20%. If my bill is $8.59, I will round my bill to $10 or $11 depending on what my service is like.

Back