Vitamin-C Skin Care

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Vitamin C is often regarded as a wrinkle fighter or an anti-aging agent. The main objective of ‘Vitamin C skin care’, in scientific terms, is to increase the synthesis of collagen (a structural protein that is found in skin). The additional benefit of ‘Vitamin C skin care’ is related to its capability of countering free radicals which cause damage to the skin.

vitamin C is highly unstable though. Once it is exposed to the sun it is useless.

Therefore, always use it at night.

Also, make sure it comes in a dark opaque tube that sunlight can't penetrate.

And the opening tube the tube should be very small - the solution needs to be squeezed out, then tube is closed with a small cap.

Also, look for a smaller sized tube. Once it is opened, used daily until finished.

Saving it for a once in a while application will probably render the active ingredients useless over time.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif vitamin C is highly unstable though. Once it is exposed to the sun it is useless.Therefore, always use it at night.

Also, make sure it comes in a dark opaque tube that sunlight can't penetrate.

And the opening tube the tube should be very small - the solution needs to be squeezed out, then tube is closed with a small cap.

Also, look for a smaller sized tube. Once it is opened, used daily until finished.

Saving it for a once in a while application will probably render the active ingredients useless over time.

There are 3 kinds of Vit C derivatives that are more stable than the regular ascorbic acid. They are more expensive but stable:Ascorbyl palmitate - oil soluble

Magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate - water soluble

Tetrasubstituted lipophilic ascorbates - next generation

Vitamin C derivatives: skin benefits of ascorbic acid without the downside

I've seen some DIY serums using both L-ascorbic and MAP out there. Lots of good reviews. I've not tried it nor used any vit c products yet. The key is to make small batches and keep cool dark location like med cabinet.

I wouldn't buy a product that says it has vitamin c that is packaged in a clear container tho.

I bought vit-c cream and vit-c mask from the body shop, I will see how good they work. But the mask for some reason really stings my skin, it doesn't give me any redness or itchyness afterward tho, but while it's sitting on my face, it stings so bad, do any of you know why?

Ingrid,

I've not had much luck with masks lately, they burn when I first apply them just like they are doing to you. I don't remember them doing that before but they are now. I tried to find which bodyshop mask you were talking about so I could see the ingredients but I couldn't find it. I have decided to make my own from kaolin clay, rosewater and a little glycerin. This doesn't burn me so I'm happy to stick with this. I was using The Face Shop masks but these are the ones that are burning me.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ingrid, I've not had much luck with masks lately, they burn when I first apply them just like they are doing to you. I don't remember them doing that before but they are now. I tried to find which bodyshop mask you were talking about so I could see the ingredients but I couldn't find it. I have decided to make my own from kaolin clay, rosewater and a little glycerin. This doesn't burn me so I'm happy to stick with this. I was using The Face Shop masks but these are the ones that are burning me.

I am a big fan of face masks, all the masks I have been using are very relaxing and effective. The only type of masks that burn my skin are peel off masks and this particular mask I mentioned. It is sometimes normal for masks to sting your skin a tiny bit (not too much), if it burns really bad, it's probably because your skin is sensitive to it. I am still using this vit-c mask, and I am not having an allergic reaction (I don't get allergic reaction at all to any products) so I am still using it. once I wash it off, my skin is really smooth and thoroughly cleansed. So I am gonna keep using it. I think you just have to find the right mask for yourself. But anyway, this vit-c mask here stings my skin more than any others. I am just confused why that is.

What's the mask called?

Even the store bought clay ones were rather harsh for my skin. I just make my own now and it's very gentle.

Have you tried the Oil Cleansing Method to cleanse clogged pores? This is a wicked way to remove oils and dirt from pores. An oil blend (jojoba, castor and grapeseed), massaged into your face for 20minutes (very relaxing, especially while watching TV) and remove remaining oil with a alcohol free toner. I do this once a week. You'll be amazed at what gunk you see on the cotton pad!

it's called vic-c moisturizing mask.

really? thats cool how do u make those oil thing?

Originally Posted by Ingrid /img/forum/go_quote.gif it's called vic-c moisturizing mask. really? thats cool how do u make those oil thing?

The oil blend 70% jojoba, 15% castor, 15% grapeseed. I've found the jojoba oil at Save-on-foods, castor oil at an indian grocery and grapeseed oil at save-on too. Mix, put in a pump bottle and use. If you have some essential oils, put some in. I had lavender at one time, neroli/jasmine at another. Massage and use toner. If you can't get jojoba, use safflower or olive oil or sunflower oil. You can make toner from witchhazel distillate, found at walmart, and water or rosewater (also found at indian groceries) and a little glycerin. Easy to make stuff. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed. It removes makeup like crazy and doesn't dry out your face. This is where you can read about it. The Oil Cleansing Method - A simple, cleansing facial massage for clear skin!

Originally Posted by charlotteschmid /img/forum/go_quote.gif Vitamin C is often regarded as a wrinkle fighter or an anti-aging agent. The main objective of ‘Vitamin C skin care’, in scientific terms, is to increase the synthesis of collagen (a structural protein that is found in skin). The additional benefit of ‘Vitamin C skin care’ is related to its capability of countering free radicals which cause damage to the skin. Which vitamin C skincare product do you recommend for synthesizing collagen?

Vitamin C helps promote healthy skin care. The best skin care means getting good nutrition into your diet. The asorbic acid contained in vitamin C can be effective in reducing wrinkles. A lot of skin creams contain a rich amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C can play a role in destroying free radicals. Vitamin C plays a natural role in boosting your immune system. It can also be a natural way to repair damaged skin, like scar tissue. Vitamin C also plays a role in the production of collagen as well.

To improve your skin care, it's best to eat more foods that contain vitamin C. There are a lot of skin creams out on the market. They may, or may not be effective. The best way to promote a healthy lifestyle is doing it naturally. A lot of what you eat, can have a role on skin care. Anti-aging is best done with diet and overall better health. It doesn't matter what skin creams you take.

I'm not such a fan of vitamin C skincare, i always fear it's too concentrated for my sensitive face, or the packaging's faulty and it had oxidized.

Avalon Organics makes a whole Vitamin C skin care line. I tried a couple products and didn't notice any difference in my skin.

I have really wacky skin! I am 26 years old but I am breaking out more now then in high school! I've read up on skin care and it always has categories for what type of skin you have and one of those is an oily t-zone. My skin is the complete opposite! My T-zone is dry and the rest of my face is oily! I just want to have a nice complexion without having to wear alot of foundation! I drink water, use acne cream and masks and hydration cream. I wear sunscreen and I don't smoke and I avoid the sun. What else is a girl to do? I'm also fair skinned and hate my reddish pink undertones! Help! Oh yeah and I wash my make up off with expensive facial cleaner (Philosiphy's purity) every night and I've also went 2 weeks with no makeup and it still did not help.I also take a mulit vitamin and eat romaine lettuce....

Then i suggest you ask advice to a derm, see if he could prescribe something to regulate the oiliness.

WOW!! I sure will try using the oil method with the toner!
smile.gif

There is a quite lengthy but extremely informative thread on DIY Vit C serums on Skin Care Talk. com. I hope it's ok to post that link
frown.gif
It's just vey informative. And a great money saver to the ridiculously expensive serums on the market.

Back