Starting the no buy!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm going to try my hand at the no buy challenge. I'm really excited about this. I will have to have some exceptions though, lol I know already! lol but I placed a bid on an eyeliner on ebay and I found a really good deal on some discontinued eyeliners too. So I'm not going to buy anything aside from those. I'm trying for 2-3 weeks initially and I'll see how it goes. I have to at least make it through that.

My motivation to stick to it? I've pulled all my receipts from the last 6 months so I know the amount I've spent will shock me once I total it all up.
str.gif

Btw, I'm doing this b/c I've been doing a lot of impulse shopping and I've turned to makeup shopping for comfort. Not good.

I wish you plenty of luck!! haha.

How much was your total over 6 months?

I'm lucky if I can spend $100 on makeup 6 months!! lol.

:]

Originally Posted by Chicken351 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wish you plenty of luck!! haha.How much was your total over 6 months?

I'm lucky if I can spend $100 on makeup 6 months!! lol.

:]

Ok, grand total *drumroll* $1191.55 plus any small little buys that I may have thrown out or overlooked. Not as bad as I thought it would be honestly!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
biggrin.gif

I had to do an update because I'm really proud of myself.
biggrin.gif
I went into walmart, target, and ulta and didn't buy a thing!!!! Amazing. Very proud of myself. Actually, I picked up the loreal hip gel liner in eggplant and walked around the store holding it fondly but put it back.

Now the part that I've been struggling with has been looking at swatches and reviews online. I saw some great stuff on blogs and searching for one thing led to another and then another and I have spent a good deal of my weekend looking at swatches and reviews and trying my best to talk myself out of online shopping. I was able to reason that buying more blushes is not going to make me prettier or all of a sudden "bring the whole look together" in a way I couldn't do before.
laughing.gif
So I didn't make two impulse purchases!

I don't think I can hold out for much longer though. I really want this mac blush, it's so pretty and much brighter than anything I have. *sigh* I've been looking at it all morning. I don't want to already ruin my no buy so soon but I feel like I have to have it. Maybe even a back up. *sigh*

Crys you will find over time with the no buy you get so adicted to using stuff up that you eventually dont even want new stuff. Not that you wont think some makeup items are pretty but it eventually just becomes second nature to think of the other stuff you have that is just like it, and realize that you can get something similar for WAY less.

I am glad to hear it is going well for you. As for the dealing with those things you want a list is the best idea. I used to do a 30 day list. as in you put the item you want with the date on a list. if after 1 month you still want the item and have genuinely thought about using it that whole time than you get it. But if you find that does not work another option is to make a list of the items you want. But you cant buy it till you use up one of that type of item. So for that blush you can not buy it till you use up a blush you already have

well....I gave in. I bought it online. I couldn't stop thinking of it. It's the mac mineralized blush merrily. But I am going to try my hardest. That's a good idea, making myself wait for 30 days to buy something. The majority of the time I will forget about things as soon as I walk away.

I'm going to start a list right now. I like that plan of seeing how much I can do with what I have and actually hitting pan on something. Thanks!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by crys2982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I had to do an update because I'm really proud of myself.
biggrin.gif
I went into walmart, target, and ulta and didn't buy a thing!!!! Amazing. Very proud of myself. Actually, I picked up the loreal hip gel liner in eggplant and walked around the store holding it fondly but put it back.
Now the part that I've been struggling with has been looking at swatches and reviews online. I saw some great stuff on blogs and searching for one thing led to another and then another and I have spent a good deal of my weekend looking at swatches and reviews and trying my best to talk myself out of online shopping. I was able to reason that buying more blushes is not going to make me prettier or all of a sudden "bring the whole look together" in a way I couldn't do before.
laughing.gif
So I didn't make two impulse purchases!

I don't think I can hold out for much longer though. I really want this mac blush, it's so pretty and much brighter than anything I have. *sigh* I've been looking at it all morning. I don't want to already ruin my no buy so soon but I feel like I have to have it. Maybe even a back up. *sigh*

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif Crys you will find over time with the no buy you get so adicted to using stuff up that you eventually dont even want new stuff. Not that you wont think some makeup items are pretty but it eventually just becomes second nature to think of the other stuff you have that is just like it, and realize that you can get something similar for WAY less.
I am glad to hear it is going well for you. As for the dealing with those things you want a list is the best idea. I used to do a 30 day list. as in you put the item you want with the date on a list. if after 1 month you still want the item and have genuinely thought about using it that whole time than you get it. But if you find that does not work another option is to make a list of the items you want. But you cant buy it till you use up one of that type of item. So for that blush you can not buy it till you use up a blush you already have

I do that with just about everything. I'm impulsive I see it I want it. So I make it a point to walk around an entire store, especially if I have a cart full of impule grabs. Usually by the end of the store I realize I don't really want or need half of what I grabbed so I put things back.

@ withlove2022 I bet you could. Start off small and work your way up. Maybe not do a hardcore no buy but maybe limit certain items or shades. I didn't think I'd make it but and aside from that blush I feel soooo good that I was able to walk out of 3 stores and not buy a thing!

Plus, I had been waiting for this sale Ulta had and I wanted to use a coupon they sent in the mail but I just don't need anything. I'm very proud of myself again. I guess it's all about the small victories.
smile.gif

@ Anna, I'm going to have to use that technique more often. I just need to walk around long enough to get over the initial excitement, even if it takes a half an hour.

Originally Posted by crys2982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif @ withlove2022 I bet you could. Start off small and work your way up. Maybe not do a hardcore no buy but maybe limit certain items or shades. I didn't think I'd make it but and aside from that blush I feel soooo good that I was able to walk out of 3 stores and not buy a thing!
Plus, I had been waiting for this sale Ulta had and I wanted to use a coupon they sent in the mail but I just don't need anything. I'm very proud of myself again. I guess it's all about the small victories.
smile.gif

@ Anna, I'm going to have to use that technique more often. I just need to walk around long enough to get over the initial excitement, even if it takes a half an hour.

it works! like today at marshalls i found like 6 cute dresses. tried on narrowed down to two. walked around...realized that I would need off white shoes to go with both of them..but they looked super cute on!! but i dont have off white shoes....walked around the shoe department to see if i could find some...no off white shoes...and I WALKED AWAY!! thats...39.99+24.99 saved. WEE!!

That's awesome and congrats on walking away. I bet you won't even remember them several days from now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by crys2982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's awesome and congrats on walking away. I bet you won't even remember them several days from now.
smile.gif
I'm glad I didn't get them. I ended up getting 2 dresses at target. Both super cute, and didnt require me getting new shoes!! <3

@ Anna very awesome! I'm proud of you for not taking that as an excuse to buy new shoes too!
yahootongue.gif

I'm just going to put all my successes here so I see them all in one place and stay encouraged.

I resisted a spontaneous trip to cosmetics company outlet store. I just learned of this place and was going to get up first thing in the morning and go but I didn't. Instead, I found a bunch of looks on blogs that I want to try out and everything can be done with what I have! So excited. I feel like I can do some new stuff for awhile.
biggrin.gif

I fell off the wagon. I was doing really well until I went to CCO and bought some lustre drops and I found some clearance lipsticks at the drugstore this past Friday. This is harder than I thought. I don't think I'll fall off again soon *crosses fingers* Ever since I've started this no buy I've just traded one addiction for another. I've been obsessed with candy and junk food since not buying makeup! *sigh*

Edit: After checking the calendar, I guess I didn't fail miserably. I did make it two weeks. Now to start again I guess.

why did you go to the CCO while on a no buy?

That place is a no buy killer. It may be helpful to avoid places that sell makeup aka the CCo and the makeup isle at your pharmacy at least untill you have been at the no buy for a while and have developed a pattern of not shopping

Latest posts

Back