Is it bad to be materialistic?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you girls think it is bad to be materialistic? I can honestly admit that I am materialistic, I love buying shoes, clothes, handbags, accessory etc... some people and my boyfriend think that I can be materialistic (thankfully they haven't said anything bad about it yet). Material things can make me happy and stores are obviously put there for us to enjoy. And I hate it when other people pass judgement or say things such as people who are materialistic are unfulfilled, which is not true at all. I just don't think anyone has the right to say anything if we are buying things with our OWN money, to me it is simply an enjoyment and a hobbie.

Ehh, you're not hurting anybody. I don't think it means you aren't fulfilled either. Some people are just more into makeup, clothes and other girly things like most of the people on this board. There are SOME people who think material things are everything, but for most of us beauty, fashion, etc., are just hobbies.

I will say this. If I am ever wealthy, I won't spend all my money on designer clothes and stuff. FOR ME, I just can't spend EVERYTHING on my wants when there are people out there who have needs my money could go toward. In my opinion, being materialistic is more being superficial and not giving a hoot about what really matters in life. Still, if a beautiful pair of shoes makes you happy, so be it.

All my opinion! I know some people look down on those who are into clothes and bags, and others say whatever you do with your money is your business (can see their point). I'm somewhere in the middle.

Material enjoyment and materialistic are not the same things. I would define materialistic as those that judge others and themselves by the property or purchased items they surround themselves with...'you are nobody because you don't own a Chanel purse and an iPhone. I am better than you because I bought a Chanel purse and an iPhone and Prada shoes' etc.

Everyone likes stuff, that's what drives the world's economy. Buying stuff makes the world go round. I indulge in material enjoyment. I buy things because they are pretty or they smell nice or they will make someone feel good if I gave it to them. I think you are the same way.

Those that place importance on material goods over quality of character would be materialistic.

^ I agree divadoll. That's what I meant to say! lol That liking material things doesn't necessarily mean you're a shallow, awful person. I like nice things, but even if I were Bill Gates rich, I would never look down on someone for having less than me or not knowing designer this or that. Agree again on everyone liking stuff; we all just like different things. Some people may not splurge on makeup like I do, but they'll go out to nice restaurants and have the best phones and stuff.

I've been called materialistic, snob, even a gold digger

I spend my $ on clothes, shoes, handbags, makeup, and so on even have a woman cave to put it all in, but i have worked for my stuff and just cuz we wanna look good ppl shouldnt judge!! To each their own buy and get whatever makes u happy!

Originally Posted by shoeandpursegal /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've been called materialistic, snob, even a gold digger Yes that is one thing I hate the most, being called a gold-digger. I haven't been called one but I have a feeling that people think I am one just because I have my designer heels and handbags and people automatically think that I am too young to afford this so my boyfriend must have gotten them for me. NOT TRUE!!! I buy 99% of material things with my money. It's annoying that people can pass judgement just by looking at what you have and what you wear. I say they are the shallow one.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Its bad if you cant afford it. if you can than enjoy it! ^Yep! And if someone is willing to buy a Gucci purse rather than food for their children, that's materialistic and selfish.

Yeah... I hate people who judge others by what they buy (or what they wear
smile.gif
). I enjoy buying stuff I need or want.. And use. I don't buy things just to buy them and increase my status in anyones eyes.. Else I would have a BMW instead of an 11 year old mini-van! Lol

If you have money why you should feel guilty of spending it ? People should only have a say when your spending compromises your household and family.

I agree with a lot of what Diva said and I'll add that it depends on what your priorities are and what matters to you. Personally I don't think materialism is a great trait to have but it also depends on how you define materialism. If you feel like more of a person because of the labels you wear or if you determine a person's worth based on what they wear, I'd say there is a problem.

Lately i have gotten in to not purchasing what i do not need. I have no problem with people liking stuff and being materialistic, so long as they are not at the level of those people that are on hoarders.

As for me i have been trying to be less materialistic because i do feel that consumption is out of controll and we are destroying the enviroment for products we do not truley need

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif Personally I don't think materialism is a great trait to have I agree 100%

It's ok if you have the money too get yourself some " extra nice stuff", but I don't like excessive materialism. People are dying and starving in places, why would you wanna buy a gold toilet instead of helping people who have nothing!

It is what it is IMO....do you. As long as I am paying for it with my taxes. Other than that, I dont care what people buy, but I have gotten to the point when someone gets to boo-hooing later about how they dont have this and that and cant buy this and that, I always point to the stuff they bought.

People really make me sick when they live for the moment and not store their nuts for the winter, show off all they have and all they bought, then you hear about them later...I always shake my head.

I have a little cousin that bragged about buying iphones, going out to eat at Red Lobster, going shopping and then forgot that he was getting married and had to beg for money, that's the kinda stuff that makes me sick.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a little cousin that bragged about buying iphones, going out to eat at Red Lobster, going shopping and then forgot that he was getting married and had to beg for money, that's the kinda stuff that makes me sick. LMAO!!!!!!!!!
roflmao.gif

Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's ok if you have the money too get yourself some " extra nice stuff", but I don't like excessive materialism. People are dying and starving in places, why would you wanna buy a gold toilet instead of helping people who have nothing! Some ppl would argue they've earned that right and who are you to tell them how to spend THEIR money...
But then that's a whole 'nother thread topic.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Some ppl would argue they've earned that right and who are you to tell them how to spend THEIR money...
But then that's a whole 'nother thread topic.

That's true, but those are people with really whacked out priorities, in my experience giving back feels so much better than buying anything for myself.

Back