Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid

Is it bad to be materialistic?

I am not interested at all in what other people are using their money on. if new purses every month makes them happy, why not?

Originally Posted by Love,SxE,&Magic View Post
I think the only time its bad being materialistic is when your putting other people down for what they dont have, since your so use to having nice things.
Exactly.

Well, I'm partially materialistic - I want to have the best of everything, but then again I don't shop very often, because I enjoy minimalistic lifestyle... and I'd rather spend time with a fulfilled 'materialistic' person, much richer than me, who thinks shopping every week is a normal thing, than with an envious poor one, who is obsessed with the way other people spend their money... you can't choose the family you are born in, so calling someone 'materialistic' just because s/he was born rich - and therefore is used to high standard of living - is unfair...

I've been with very materialistic persons before. Although I love spoiling my Sweetie and children, I do it by choice because I can afford to and all the bills are paid off on time always. What I hated about the truly materialistic person I have been with was how selfish, self centered and greedy they were. They spent every cent they earned on things they didn't need and most of the time never looked at a second time once they got it. They rarely offered to pay household expenses, were deeply in debt and expected me to pay off their debts. If I said anything about their exorbitant spending I was flatly told it was none of my business as they earned the money. All this while trying to get me to pay off their debts at that very moment. It's gets old quick and I simply got them distanced.

Originally Posted by AniaMaja View Post
Well, I'm partially materialistic - I want to have the best of everything, but then again I don't shop very often, because I enjoy minimalistic lifestyle... and I'd rather spend time with a fulfilled 'materialistic' person, much richer than me, who thinks shopping every week is a normal thing, than with an envious poor one, who is obsessed with the way other people spend their money... you can't choose the family you are born in, so calling someone 'materialistic' just because s/he was born rich - and therefore is used to high standard of living - is unfair...
I doubt that I would pick either end of this spectrum. I would not a friend full of envy nor a friend full of themselves. There really isn't anything there that would attract me. Both of them would be too full of their own 'need' to have anything to offer anyone else.

Originally Posted by bCreative View Post
I also hate the people who judge others by calling them a gold digger just because they rather have a Chanel purse than a Coach one.
Both of those are way beyond me. xD

Originally Posted by Minka View Post
Even when I bought my first car, people were like, "How can you afford to pay for that newer car?!" and the person that asked went as far to explain a very important turning point in their life; "When I was 19, I had a piece of shit for a car... I had to work at (insert strip club name here) as a dancer to buy a nice car and support my family".
I'm not a violent person, but I would wanna smaaack them for being so senseless. :/

I think it depends on how you are viewing it. If you think others aren't as good as you because of what they have, then that's a problem. But if they just bring you enjoyment, then what's the problem? I love to shop, I have tons of designer bags, jewelry, but I'm also a Mom of 4(soon to be 5) and I make sure they have everything that they need. People call me spoiled because of what I have, but that is their problem.