DIY or professional manicures, pedicures?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you prefer going to a salon to have your nails done? Do it yourself? Half and half? ??

At the beginning of summer I will have a professional pedicure. I upkeep my pedicures myself for the rest of the summer. At the end of summer I get one more professional pedicure and that is basically it for the whole year. My toes are not exposed in late autumn, winter (too cold for sandals
wink.gif
) and it gives my nails a break. I keep them trimmed, filed, and feet moisturized but polish free during the colder months. The only time I may get a pedicure during the winter is if I'm going away somewhere tropical but that is very rare.

I get a manicure once or twice a year. I don't put polish on unless I'm going somewhere special or just feel having them done. Usually I just wear a clear polish, upkeep them myself with filing, pushing the cuticles back etc.

Ugh, I don't do anything, and I really need to. I've never been to a professional, although I really want to. I'm sort of intimidated. I don't know what to ask for and will probably inadvertently end up spending way too much...

There are somethings that you just can't do. I would definitely go for pedicure. Manicures I can do myself but I would do a pedicure in the summer to get the nails just right. I change polish whenever I want but the nail care is another story.

I do my own! I think I do a better job. lol I only get them professionally done if im going to some event.

Well... I am a professional, but do my own, so where does that leave me?
wink.gif

anyone have any tips on how to get the white french lline on nails to last??

i do mine myself and they look like crap after a day.

i use the stripe nail polish you get from sallys and a top and base coat.

The quality of the polish, top and base coat has a lot to do with how long a french mani, or any mani for that matter will last. Use a top quality brand and you'll notice a difference in the longevity of your mani/pedi.

I've never had a professional one! It's rare that I use nail polish or do anything with my nails.

people who go for professional Pedicure I can understand because we abuse our feet wearing heels or flip flop in the summer and there are lots of dead skin and dirt. However, people who go for manicure I think is the biggest waste of money, you can do it yourself at home instead of wasting 30 bucks on nothing. with 30 dollars you can buy so many different color of nail polish that last you a long time. If you are not good with nail polish, practice makes perfect.

Never had a mani or pedi from a salon. I try to pay attention to my nails, but the polish ends up chipping.

well of course i love indulging on acrylic french manicured nails, or even regular manicures...i think the professional touch looks so much better...but salon upkeep is expensive so i usually just do my own. they never seem to last as long, but there is a lot you can DIY & get creative..i like those different designs you can get (like stickers) & experimenting with diff colors & patterns..

I do everything by myself, but i think i'll to the proffesional salon to get a pedicure
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BeautyMonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ugh, I don't do anything, and I really need to. I've never been to a professional, although I really want to. I'm sort of intimidated. I don't know what to ask for and will probably inadvertently end up spending way too much... Same here. :/

I'm not working at a paying job so I don't feel like I can justify the expense of salon manicures. I'd be afraid to get a pedicure at a salon because I'm diabetic. I just don't trust other people not to nick my toe or something and chance getting an infection that I might have problems healing.

I get a pedicure once a month and go every two weeks for a refill on my acrylics. I don't buy fancy clothes or jewelry or handbags and it's my one indulgence. I work my butt off at two jobs so I feel I deserve to be pampered a little bit. I dye my own hair and go to a cheap place to get it trimmed every 3 months so I'm not a huge spender on my beauty except for my nails.

Where would one buy acrylic powder and what's the best glue and polish pen to use for a french mani?

I always use a regular white polish but I imagine it's more time consuming.

Sometimes I do my own pedis too but not as often. I've only ever had a mani and pedi once and my nails fell off and chipped by the next day... so I might as well have done it myself... ;|

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well... I am a professional, but do my own, so where does that leave me?
wink.gif
Lol !
DIY manicure, DIY maintenance pedicure, but twice a year i let a pro deal with all the dead skin on my feet. What i wish i'd get if that wasn't so expensive is a foot massage, i heard it's very relaxing.

Back