What are your makeup mag pet peeves?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This could also apply to beauty blogs (especially the ones that are less personal, like the ones owned by YouTube gurus, more the type that are websites run by magazines or something like that).

I got thinking about this today because I can't STAND some of the useless filler that shows up in mags and on beauty sites. Stupid things like, "Want a great natural makeup look? Try putting on some tinted lip balm and a couple swipes of mascara! Voila!"

kopfkratz.gif
Thanks? This is supposed to be a makeup tip? Like I'm too dumb to figure something like that out on my own? "Tips" like this seem like SUCH a waste of space to me!

LOL!

I've never seen "tips" like that on a mag website, but it is ridiculous. Youtube gurus blogs don't really say much other than product breakdowns of their FOTD or some advertisement for a product sent by a PR firm.

I read blogs hoping to see swatches and find out what's new out there at this point. If I'm interested, I'll buy and play with the item myself. Reviews are a waste of time! I hate the way it's going now that NOBODY has a bad product. Everything is beautiful and a must-get. PFFT!

Yea all that stuff is irritating. I subscribe to Life N style and Cosmo and I see dumb stuff like that too! Another thing I've seen is how they will have a girl with perfect flowly curly locks and say. Put some mousse on damp hair and scrunch, yeah right like they didn't use a curling iron and hairspray.

Another thing I noticed too is with Avon catalogues, they will print that a model has a certain shade of lipstick on, then 2 campaigns later they will have the same picture and print that the shade is a different color.

Well, to put it simply, i hate makeup mags, in general i hate women's magazines.

I once borrowed an Elle and counted all the pages of advertisement. They were almost making 2/3 of the entire magazine ! Like i'm stupid enough to buy a collection of pictures, come on !

What i really hate is how they get excited on a product you're not even sure they tried on.

I expect a magazine to be informative, and teach me something, have you noticed how sometimes what was intended as tutorial actually shows you nothing ?

When they indicate products to recreate a look, they barely say two words on how to apply the products. My younger self often felt frustrated because of this.

I'm not sure if this really counts, but there's just a lot of general info in mags that I don't always need when I see. I love the makeup breakdowns and stuff, but I usually don't read about things I don't need to know at the time the mags give the advice. Once I get acne scars or see sun spots, then I'll look for tips wherever I can find them.

Yes. I hate when a model wearing the 'tip' is processed and photoshopped within an inch of her life. Please show me a real woman who put this look on by herself, not with 9-man team of MUA's and a web graphics designer....

OK, and this is kind of the opposite of a pet peeve - it's something I've always LOVED to see in a beauty mag - crushed makeup. I can't get enough of it. I love the crumbled eyeshadows, the squashed lipsticks, the broken eye pencil tips. I guess because it's something I'd never do to my own makeup (on purpose) but yet I sort of long to just for the feel of it... anyone else with me? lol

^ I know just what you mean BeautyMonster! I love to see the crushed make up too, and I though I was weird for doing so until now!
smile.gif

My biggest one is when they say "The model is wearing Cocoa eye shadow and rose lipstick by xxx brand." When you can TELL there are 5 shades of eye shadow on her eyes and two different eye liners.

I hate it when they boast "10,000 beauty tips and tricks!!" and when you start leafing through it, it's bogus crap like "for fresh looking skin, drink 8 glasses of water". What!!!! I just paid $4.99 for this crap????? UGH!

lol.gif
I so agree with all of you!! Lame tutorials that SO over simplify the look, they might as well not have written anything! It's the worst with Allure because they do a lot of extreme close ups on their cover where you can SEE the makeup, and then sure enough on the page about the front cover, "So-and-so is wearing grey eyeshadow and pink lipstick!"

*facepalm* I get there's only SO much room in the magazine, but since so many magazines have a well-developed website, couldn't they do that as a feature? Like go to whatever.com to see a full tutorial on the cover look? I would LOVE something like that!

i agree..it would be great if they'd come up with better tips, it seems like they reuse the same old stuff, just worded differently.

Yes to all of these lol. My biggest pet peeve? Showing how to correct dark circles on someone who doesn't have any.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate it when they boast "10,000 beauty tips and tricks!!" and when you start leafing through it, it's bogus crap like "for fresh looking skin, drink 8 glasses of water". What!!!! I just paid $4.99 for this crap????? UGH! LOL, this is the lamest non-advice! Why do magazines feel the need to print this? My mother used to get on my case for not drinking enough water, I don't really need to pay a magazine to hear it!

Exactly! They list one product that the person is wearing but you can plainly see 3 other shades! I hate that.

I really hate it when they post a makeup tutorial and in the before picture, the model's all sad and dopey and is clearly wearing foundation.

Yeah right. Like we can't tell she already had foundation on... give me a break.

I also hate when they're like, "to achieve Jennifer Lopez's flawless natural look, just apply [insert tinted moisturizer here], [insert neutral brown eyeshadow here], [brown mascara here], and [pink lip gloss here]."

Like we all don't believe she's always airbrushed and highlighted anyways... come on =_=;.

i totally agree! Or when they feauture products that they used and you can't even go to Sephora or the drugstore to purchase. In this month's Allure I saw they used a new Highlighter gel from Maybelline that comes in the jar. I can't find that product anywhere!!!!!Why would they feauture it? I was xcited for it...bummer....

agree to all of these!

and so annoying when you KNOW that the product they suggest isn't the one in the picture, or they're suggesting it as good for (long lasting wear) and you buy it for that reason, when in fact it's not suited to that at all.

Facepalm!

Back