Mica in foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd been waiting excitedly for my EDM base to arrive, and now that i've put it on i can see shimmery sparkles everywhere. I'm so dissapointed
frown.gif
i guess my question is, is foundation with shimmer in it really that noticeable? Why even put it in the formulation? I wanted my make up to look natural, not sparkly... gah. *Dissapointed*

That's only some of their foundations. I believe kinds like original glo, semi-matte are meant to give you that dewy glow. I have their matte foundation and it has no sparkles at all and it makes you really, really matte.

It's not really noticeable, i mostly use matte foundations (in EDM i used the intensive formula), and then apply dewy powders on top for a healthier glow, but it's not really noticeable. It doesn't bother me, i still think mica is better than bismuth, but if it bothers you, maybe you could try another of their formulas ?

I like the slight shimmer, it makes it look like your glowing, especially in the summer months.

I like a bit of shimmer, and in all honesty - I've found that I notice it MOST after I first put it on. From a distance and without hyper-scrutiny I don't think most people 'see' sparkle, just a bit of 'light'.

Hope that makes sense. My foundation is matte, but I've been wearing a sparkly, soft focus finishing powder I made myself on top
smile.gif

I'm not understanding the original post. Mica is pretty much the first ingredient in EVERY mineral makeup. In fact, it has around 40-50% mica. There maybe some shiny bits in it but it doesn't make you look like a disco ball.

here's the ingredients in the Everyday Minerals

Matte:Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Intensive: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Semi-Matte: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Original Glo: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Mica: Is a naturally occurring mineral noted for its transparent sparkly luster.

Lauroyl Lysine: An all-natural amino acid derived from coconut fatty acid, contributing to the products silk like creamy texture and spreadability qualities.

Titanium Dioxide: An inert white mineral that is used as a color adjuster.

Zinc Oxide: An inorganic white powder that is used as a color adjuster.

Iron Oxides: Cosmetic pigments used to add depths of color.

Ultramarines: An inorganic vibrant pigment used to add color

I liked the finish semi matte the best because it was my idea of a perfect look; not too shiny but a bit glowy. So i really wanted that finish D: and i guess i just want to look natural so when i saw sparkles on my face it was... really dissapointing! Lol. I may try it on again and... assess.

Magosienne, what dewy powder do you use? And does intensive not have any shimmer in it?

Divadoll... oh. I didn't know that lol. I was just going with what i had gathered from other people, i don't know very much about ingredients and such.

Originally Posted by Roshni Diya /img/forum/go_quote.gif Magosienne, what dewy powder do you use? And does intensive not have any shimmer in it? Actually, i make my own
smile.gif
In my first formula, 50% bamboo sap extract, 50% arrow root and a tiny bit of small silver micas (the tip of a knife is enough).In the past i also used Lily Lolo's translucent silk powder
smile.gif

Yup, intensive is matte.

Oh my! I can't make my own lol, don't even want to try :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but i may just use intensive and wear the dewy powder on top. How far does the Lily Lolo silk powder succeed in creating a "soft natural glow"? Sorry, i sound like i'm being so picky but i've wasted so much money on foundations etc that i don't like lol!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not understanding the original post. Mica is pretty much the first ingredient in EVERY mineral makeup. In fact, it has around 40-50% mica. There maybe some shiny bits in it but it doesn't make you look like a disco ball.
here's the ingredients in the Everyday Minerals

Matte:Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Intensive: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Semi-Matte: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Original Glo: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Mica: Is a naturally occurring mineral noted for its transparent sparkly luster.

Lauroyl Lysine: An all-natural amino acid derived from coconut fatty acid, contributing to the products silk like creamy texture and spreadability qualities.

Titanium Dioxide: An inert white mineral that is used as a color adjuster.

Zinc Oxide: An inorganic white powder that is used as a color adjuster.

Iron Oxides: Cosmetic pigments used to add depths of color.

Ultramarines: An inorganic vibrant pigment used to add color

Yes you are right Mica is in most foundation and Sericite is considered MICA and it is not sparkly. That is usually the first ingredient or up in the first few ingredients in a foundation. But what she may be seeing are sparkles, some MMU companies use "fines" or maybe colored mica. So on the ingredient label all you will see is Mica be it sericite or colored mica. Since they are all considered MICA

Kathy

Fusion of Color Cosmetics

Originally Posted by kd621 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes you are right Mica is in most foundation and Sericite is considered MICA and it is not sparkly. That is usually the first ingredient or up in the first few ingredients in a foundation. But what she may be seeing are sparkles, some MMU companies use "fines" or maybe colored mica. So on the ingredient label all you will see is Mica be it sericite or colored mica. Since they are all considered MICA

Kathy

Fusion of Color Cosmetics

I'm pretty sure they are being as generic as possible. As you will see, the matte formulation also lists mica. They don't want you to replicate it. I use a semi-matte mica which is really no different from sericite in my formulation other than that, there are NO coloured micas in my formula - colour comes from oxides.
Cory Cosmetics:

Rice powder as a base?? Interesting. Their original mica free formulation only has titanium oxide - that would be thick beyond intensive coverage.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cory Cosmetics:Rice powder as a base?? Interesting. Their original mica free formulation only has titanium oxide - that would be thick beyond intensive coverage.

I think they might be using the extremely finely milled translucent TiO2

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think they might be using the extremely finely milled translucent TiO2 Out of all the ingredient in a mmu, TiO2 has the most adhesion. I don't think it can be translucent unless you cut it with something else. I use finely milled but still that stuff goes on thick - not gritty but thick.

Originally Posted by Roshni Diya /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh my! I can't make my own lol, don't even want to try :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but i may just use intensive and wear the dewy powder on top. How far does the Lily Lolo silk powder succeed in creating a "soft natural glow"? Sorry, i sound like i'm being so picky but i've wasted so much money on foundations etc that i don't like lol! It remains translucent, so the effect is still mild, i would say in my experience it gave my face a satin look compared to a matte foundation applied alone. Which i guess is the look i go for, although i love shimmers i like to keep them on my eyes.
A trick you could use is use your blush (whatever remains on your brush) and apply it on your forehead (near your hairline), on the bridge of your nose and on your chin, so you have more balanced colors on your face. I do that when i'm too lazy to contour.

Applying highlight can also make a huge difference, i like to make a c, start under the browbone and go down on the top of the cheek.

Back