Skin bleaching Vs Tanning

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One would think that people who bleach their skin to be lighter are self hating. But what about all these girls who tan? would you call that self hating too
kopfkratz.gif
? Do you think tanning is different than skin bleaching? Tanning is harmful to the skin too so why is it more acceptable?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on tanning and skin bleaching.

nx5dl5.jpg

2w7369k.jpg

Tanners....speak up.

Originally Posted by Roshni Diya /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think it's different. So do you think people who tan are self haters? because they're changing their skin to look darker.

Well whether you choose to tan or bleach your skin, it's really your problem. I think it can be an issue if it has an underlying psychological cause, meaning the person needs medical help and support.

But people aren't automatically or necessarily self haters just because they change their skin color. Pale skin is associated with illness when tan gives you a more "healthy" glow. Tan is really about fashion, and although nowadays we are perhaps more concerned about skin cancers, the fashion remains.

I don't think they're self haters, but you can say that they're not happy with their natural skin colour. That is probably because of society and acceptance. For example, indians always want to have lighter skin, even though in this society white people are tanning themselves. So it's cultural, too. Maybe not self hating, but not exactly self loving either.

I think it's self hate to a certain degree, if you're happy with the skin your in, why would you change it? It seems like white people want to be tanned skin, like brazilian people or some where exotic.

oh Sammy Sosa. lol I think its the samething. Some people prefer to lighten their skin to even them out and other prefer to tan. Then you get the extreme like Sammy Sosa or a tanarexic who just dont like the way they look.

Practically everybody does something to change how they look. I don't think it's necessarily a hatred for yourself, although some people might go to that extreme.

Think about it. People diet, muscle build (not just work out), cut/style their hair, apply makeup, wear things under their clothes to make their bodies flatter, wear heels, get piercings/tattoos/body modifications, the list could go on. Just to change how they look.

A majority of people probably just like the other look better, but I don't think it means that they're so passionate that they'd hate themselves if they couldn't do it.

i dont really think its self hating for most people its just a cultural thing, or something to make them feel more beautiful/confident...but i guess for some people it can be depending on how what degree they take it to. i knew this lady who would buy a month's worth of tanning sessions at several salons in town, & then go to each one everyday for her 20 minute session...(she ended up getting skin cancer btw!) this would be an example of self crazed self hating behavior. i guess she didnt think 20 minutes a day in one bed was enough...even though there is a reason why they have those time limit restrictions.

Dieting to an exteme could be self hating, if your dieting to get healthy there's nothing wrong with that. Comparing a haircut to skin bleaching or tanning is stupid...you're changing the colour of your skin, that's a big part of who you are. So you think people who take pills to lighten their skin because they're ashamed to be black, or indian or whatever, is fine?....because it's in fashion.

it's not necessarily because they're ashamed of their heritage, its just a beauty choice. i think you're reading into this far too much!

if you look at skin lightening and where it is most popular, it usually has something to do with the culture. for example, in a lot of countries in the orient, being fair-skinned meant that you spent little to no time outdoors, therefore you did not have to work in the fields to make your living, you were of "higher" class

people who lighten there skin in more americanized countries may just be looking to even out their skin tone, or they may actually feel that if they were lighter skinned they would be more beautiful. some may have racial insecurities, some may not. it's hard to generalize and pass judgement on something like this, as everyone does things for certain reasons.

I'm naturally I guess "tan" being mixed race, but I personally like to tan (not excessively) because

a.) my skin gets better

b.) my color looks healthier

c.) my hair gets lighter

so therefore, I personally like all the tones that I get - and I look healthier and I feel happier.
smile.gif

I also think that it is not self hating. they just want to look good and feel good with themselves. If you feel like bleaching looks good on you then go for it, same with tanning. Besides we have our own freedom to choose what we want to portray in this world or what we want the world to see from us. People are crazy, we don't have self contentment. hehe

Back