Sign in to follow this  
BombDiggity

Do All Sephora Products Suck?

Last Week I was in Sephora trying to replace my Smashbox Heartbreaker Jet Black Liquid Liner Pen (which was AMAZING, too bad it was limited edition) and I figured, since the Pen looked similar I'd buy the Sephora brand one haha I tested it on my hand and it seemed ok I bought it and its the biggest piece of junk. Should I try and stay away from the majority of Sephora brand products?

I was buying concealer yesterday and one of the sales girls was helping me and raved about the Sephora brand one, obviously I didn't buy it because after that liner I just didn't trust it.

The only thing I bought from sephora was their lip gloss, for that kind of price I was definitely looking for something better. Now I know to stick to my high end brands.

I agree that the liquid eyeliners are bad - i have one which i rarely use as its too difficult to get it smooth.

Their mascaras though are amazing - i use the Triple Action, Lash Plumper and Atomic Volume and they are all HG's. I haven't bothered looking for other brands.

I haven't tried much products of the brand.

The e/s suck, especially for the amount of money they sell it for. I usually cough up the 5€ difference and get a MAC, Urban Decay, or else, instead.

The eyepencils/lipliners are very nice, but a little too "dry" for my liking. I don't mind for lips, but for the eyes, i much prefer my UD 24/7 liners.

The nail polishes only work as a backup plan if you're caught without nail polish. The coverage is okay, it's just that reaching the bottom half of the bottle, it gets all goopy and impossible to work with. Their staying power sucks, 2/3 days at maximum.

The mascara with the bent wand is okay, i got a sample once and it worked well.

The lipsticks are probably what i'd recommend you try, especially if like me you don't apply much lip makeup. But they're creamy so don't forget the lipliner !

Their makeup removing wipes are fantastic, soft, stay moist, great to keep in a locker. They also have a nail polish remover (the kind you dip your nails into) that's great, soft, doesn't smell too badly, removes everything in 2 seconds.

Their tools, scissors, nail clippers, brushes, are very nice and decent. I also have a hairbrush from the brand that works perfectly.

The brushes I have are great, lipstick, and pressed powder are too (although they were discontinued and I need to try the new pressed powder). The eye shadow I have is crap. I havent used anything else.

Originally Posted by Karren View Post
Never tried one of their store brands... I do have tons of Ulta's and I love them!

I love the Ulta brands too!!!!! I've only tried the Sephora lipstick and I was NOT impressed (especially for the price). I now stick to "prestige" cosmetics (UD, Too Faced, Smashbox, Napoleon, Benefit).

I have their 2007 blockbuster palette, I really like the blushes! The eyeshadows are nice but some of them tend to have a lot of fallout, but no complaints about pigment or blendability.

Another vote for their brushes. Other than that, I tried eyeliner, lipstick and gloss from the store brand and NONE of them impressed me.

ULTA shadows are surprisingly nice. Haven't tried much else from them tho...

Thanks guys for all the replies, when it comes time to restock some of my brushes I'll keep the Sephora ones in mind, but further then that I'll just make sure to be more careful with thier products. I know I'm forsure going to stay away from all of thier liners..

Originally Posted by VulcanEars View Post
Their mascaras though are amazing - i use the Triple Action, Lash Plumper and Atomic Volume and they are all HG's. I haven't bothered looking for other brands.
Really? I swear I'm addicted to buying Mascara lol Next time I go I'm totally checking them out

I got one Sephora product (their oil control primer) it did nothing for my oil/shinyness so i returned it and I'm scared to try another one of their products. I now use Avon's MagiX face perfector for controlling my oil and it's a holy grail product for me

I have a mascara, a couple of eye shadows and a brush. The brush is the only product that I own from Sephora that's any good. The mascara is so bad.

I don't think all of Sephora brand products suck. They have some really pigmented eyeshadows (I haven't tried them), but I have several lip glosses that I really like. Also, I'll agree, their brushes are really good. I'm waiting on their new eyeshadow primer to come in the mail.

I haven't tried much of the Sephora line, but I am absolutely in love with the waterproof flashy liner. It stays on my waterline forever. I have also used their primer, it is fantastic as well. As far as the other things in the line, I have no idea.

I don't have TOO many Sephora products, but:

Their brushes are quite nice. I only have a few, but I like them quite a bit.

I have a few of their eyeliners, and they're not too bad. I have a liquid one as well, and I like the staying power, but it is a bit tricky to get it to look right. I find it sort of awkward to work with.

I got a nail polish in the Best in Bronzed sampler kit. I hated it.. the colour was nice, but it chipped within a day. I've bought nail polish in a dollar store that lasts longer..

I've gotten two samplers of two different mascaras (can't remember their names at the moment), but I like them both well enough.

I think it's sort of a hit or miss, just like most other brand out there.

Hi everyone smile.gif

This is my first post on this website. So exciting biggrin.gif

Not a fan of Sephora products at all. Their nail varnishes dry easily, the powder was really cakey, dried up eyeliner, drying lipsticks. The eye make up remover was terrible too. It is way too harsh and stings. Didn't like the mascara either frown.gif Maybe my Sephora didn't update their products but I never liked anything. It's not that cheap in terms of price either.. better to stick to other d/s brands. I liked some of their brushes though but if given the option I'd definitely choose other brands. If you really want to try them out it's better to get samples or buy them when they're on sale.

Unfortunately the one and only Sephora in my country closed after a year or so frown.gif

I haven't tried their eyeshadows, but that's really only because I don't buy e/s often at all. I do like their brushes, lip liners (haven't tried eyeliners), lip glosses, primer, and the one sample of mascara that I got was surprisingly good. Doesn't beat BadGal, though.

By the way, the brushes I have are the smokey eye set. It isnt real expensive, never bought the individual ones, they are a lot more expensive. I use the set I have every day, I just love it.

Originally Posted by Lady_Insane25 View Post
Hi everyone smile.gif

This is my first post on this website. So exciting biggrin.gif

Not a fan of Sephora products at all. Their nail varnishes dry easily, the powder was really cakey, dried up eyeliner, drying lipsticks. The eye make up remover was terrible too. It is way too harsh and stings. Didn't like the mascara either frown.gif Maybe my Sephora didn't update their products but I never liked anything. It's not that cheap in terms of price either.. better to stick to other d/s brands. I liked some of their brushes though but if given the option I'd definitely choose other brands. If you really want to try them out it's better to get samples or buy them when they're on sale.

Unfortunately the one and only Sephora in my country closed after a year or so frown.gif

Was it the pressed powder that was cakey? Just curious, b/c I havent tried the new formula. The old one, and I do mean old, was my HG. Sigh. I dont get to Sephora very often, since the closest are Tampa and Orlando.

Originally Posted by dixiewolf View Post
By the way, the brushes I have are the smokey eye set. It isnt real expensive, never bought the individual ones, they are a lot more expensive. I use the set I have every day, I just love it.

Was it the pressed powder that was cakey? Just curious, b/c I havent tried the new formula. The old one, and I do mean old, was my HG. Sigh. I dont get to Sephora very often, since the closest are Tampa and Orlando.

Yes the pressed powder. It has a see-through lid with a black rim.. and when you flip the powder up there is a compartment for the sponge. I bought it when it was 70% off on sale so it only cost me around US$5/6. I would have given it another try but the lid snapped off in a day frown.gif I didn't get to exchange it either because it was heavily discounted. Hmm I just checked the website and the ones they have don't come with a sponge so I probably got something that got DC-ed?