Converting antiques into modern!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey women!

I know all of you are creative in one or other way. Can you tell us any such activity when you took any antique thing out of your home's store and convert it into something classic and modern.
eusa_whistle.gif

As handy as I have been these past 10 years, I can't say that I have converted any antique into something modern. Firstly because I have never owned anything that had lasted that long to convert or had been given anything to do so except for my parents' old hide-a-bed from when my sister and I were little. My parents had given it to us when my then bf (now DH) had moved into our first apartment. The couch was tweed and I re-upholstered it with black and white checkered fabric. We used it for 3 years, it was too heavy to move because it had a metal frame so we left it in the apartment when we moved out.

There are some that would be an excellent idea and I would love to do if I got the chance.

dd1168t.jpg

We have taken old funiture and repainted them... We like to go to estate sales and find something that needs to be cleaned and maybe paint or distress it.. but antiques by definition to me are old and should be left as is and used as is... We have some old civil war era dressers and an old spinning wheel that were in the family... I wouldn't think of modifying any of them into something modern..

In my opinion, I agree with Karren.  If you are determined to  update then I think all you can do is paint them.  However, antique lines are nothing like modern lines.

Originally Posted by lovesboxers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my opinion, I agree with Karren.  If you are determined to  update then I think all you can do is paint them.  However, antique lines are nothing like modern lines.
I think you can get lots of vintage furniture to fit with contemporary design.  Modern is actually mid 19th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_chair

The Tulip chair was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1955 and 1956[1] for the Knoll company of New York City.[2] It was designed primarily as a chair to match the complementary dining table. The chair has the smooth lines of modernism and was experimental with materials for its time. The chair is considered a classic of industrial design.

The chair is often considered "space age" for its futuristic use of curves and artificial materials. The design was popularized by its use on the original Star Trek television series (1966–69).

This tulip chair is a 1965 design.  I'd love this for my dining room.  My tulip table came from Ikea but its been around since 1955.

This chair is circa 1926 - Wassily Chair by Marcel Breuer

Besides, antiques can add a retro look to a room, and retro is is fashionable nowadays.

I would suggest polishing the furniture to remove any coat of polish and paint, then paint again with the color of your choice and polished.

I think professionals could also repair any old chair you might have, they could add a chic look to your living room or serve as chairs around your dining table if you have enough.

Anything metal would be gently washed and polished until shiny.

But apart from furniture like a table, or a cabinet, most of the antiques are made to be used as they are.

Latest posts

Back