No Buy in order to buy... a new collection!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How funny one of my first posts is about a no-buy on make up.

Here's my novel.

A little history... I've been buying make up since I was 10. yes TEN. At first I was just a hardcore nail polish and lip gloss addicted pre-teen. But as soon as I hit 13, watch out! All my money went toward Lancome Juicy Tubes and other "essentials". A girl had her priorities.

Now, since I am currently in my twenties, that was quite a while ago, and as you can imagine, I amassed QUITE the collection over the years. Lippies were my main addiction... the amount I've bought (and lost, forever forgetful me) had grown to be a gigantic number. So I have currently been on a loose no buy for a while now, a few years actually, especially when my interest in make up waned. I want to use up all my old make up, especially those items that I've had for years that I bought on a whim as a teen because it was "so pretty" or I fell into the hype at the time. And having somewhere to record all of this is a good idea.

End of my rambling.

So, I now have pared down my stash to fit into one caboodle make up case.
rockwoot.gif
. I haven't had this little since I was ten... But a make up case is still a LOT of make up to use up.

My REWARD for all of this is... A NEW STASH. A new stash of good quality, works for me, cosmetics, that I will use again and again. Items that I like. All the trendy and ridiculous colors and items I bought in previous years will be gone, replaced with my holy grail stash. Worthwhile I think.

Rules:

This applies to all beauty products. I have quite the collection of soaps and etc. that I got into during my time where I lost interest in make up.

I cannot buy something unless I run out of that item. I want to try a new mascara? gotta use one up. New lippie? Same philosophy.

Now, since the majority of my stash was lippies and eye shadows, that means other areas of my stash were originally lacking, so, once a month, I reward myself with a new item quality item

Example of past rewards:

Dior quint, NARS amore blush <3!, clarisonic mia (Awesome!), ren glycolactic skin mask (amazing!!!), and many more.

I am replacing the quantity with quality items
smile.gif
It's a slow process, but step by step I am getting there.

But I just had an even better idea, my monthly rewards, will now be equal to, (or less than) the price of the products I use up in the month. Say I only use up a milani eyeshadow, then I only get about $5 to spend on something new. If I use up and eyeshadow, a bottle of lotion, a lip gloss, then the new item can equal up the the price of those items combined.

More incentive to use up items.

Now, off to use up as many items as I can. I think I'll skip august's reward, and use it toward september's for MAC's Venomous Villains!!!! I don't really buy MAC, and I haven't really been lemming anything, but when I saw this collection... well, lets just say I have a lot of lip gloss to wear.

Great rules. I'm more into downsizing rather than find perfect, staple items to use often. I've tried to do the buy new within the old price, but I forget the price of it. That's because I've had some items for so long.

Good luck & I hope your enjoy the process.

I'm staring to have stickers on my recently bought products. I'm putting the stickers on them. It's not the most appealing looking on the product, but it's more helpful.

Maybe I'll get back to the buy within the old price now!

hi ladies
smile.gif
thanks for your replies.

Update:

Mom needed new shampoo so gave her the old Bumble and Bumble I had (as long as it gets used up it counts for me
wink.gif
) lol. value:$5

Used up my Abla Plumeria Shampoo value:$11

used up my loreal double extend (horrible,since I didn't like the formula): $10

Used up Shiseido primer: $23

Use up my goldbond lotion: $7

Used up Lush godmother soap:$5

Used up Lush rockstar soap: $7

Giovanni 50/50 conditioner: $8

total so far: $76 whoohoo!

I spent $30 of that at target buying: l'oreal voluminous, maybelline falsies, elf beauty book bright eyes (if you can get this, it is amazing!), elf blush(which irritated the heck out of my skin, grrr) so I had to chuck it, I think i will never but face products unless I can test from now on, even if it has stellar reviews, l'oreal colourjuice in raspberry <3, milani liquifeye pencil in black (amazing!!!! the best eyeliner I have ever used), a double sided elf liner and shadow, and a metalic elf liner. phew, a lot of things for $30.

I bought clinique lash primer to replace shiseido to try out $15

I bought NARS madly, cause I wanted a blush, since I was tired of the sole two blushes I have. $26

so my remaining budget is:$5. haha, I don't think I'll be saving up enough for MAC VV, but thats ok, I relooked at the collection and swatches and realized I was just falling for the packaging, and not the product. So we'll what happens.

One thing I don't count is: My L'oreal colorstay started to oxidize on me, so I had to buy a new one (boo), and bought mufe f&b as a replacement. It was expensive $45!!! but so worth it, I've never found a foundation that matches my skin so well, and DOESN'T break up out, at ALL. I've been using it for a little over a week and it is absolute love. I consider foundation the one product that is a must for me because of all the acne scars and hyper pigmentation I have from my teens.

Latest posts

Back