For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss our hair issues. What products are you Ladies currently using, what's your hair regimens, and do you have any hair woes???

current products: ( I rotate my products weekly)

Aveda Shampure shampoo

Neutrogena Anti-residue Shampoo

Cream of Nature Shampoo

Deep Brillance Shampoo

I use Dominican Conditioners

Moisturizing hair gel to smooth my hair

Paul Mitchells -The Detangeling conditioner

Neutrogena Triple moisture shining hair serum

My regimen is to wash/Deep condition my hair every 2 to 3 days.

I try to limit applying heat to my hair. I usually air dry or sit under my hooded dryer. I use my ceramic flat Iron about every 3 months, cause I never wear my hair down. It's too time-consuming.

My hair woes are that my hair is sooo fragile, so I really do have to treat it like an antique piece of lace at all times.

Okay, Devin. I'm expecting you to post first here! LOL! Get your bootay in here, girl!
icon_lol.gif

I am currently using Pantene Pro V for women of Color. I really like the way it makes my hair soft. My beautician uses Dudley's which is professional and she perms with Design(i think?). I use Sulfur 8 medicated dandruff shampoo and I grease my scalp with Dudley's hair grease. I try to do a deep condition with Dudley's or Pantene Pro V conditioner once a week. Or I use Dudley's DRC 28 repair for my breakage. I have dandruff and some breakage in the front from coloring so this routine seems to be helping and I am letting the color grow out.
icon_biggrin.gif

How did you know? I was posting b-4 you could post this LOL!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC Okay, Devin. I'm expecting you to post first here! LOL! Get your bootay in here, girl!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by devinjhans I am currently using Pantene Pro V for women of Color. I really like the way it makes my hair soft. My beautician uses Dudley's which is professional and she perms with Design(i think?). I use Sulfur 8 medicated dandruff shampoo and I grease my scalp with Dudley's hair grease. I try to do a deep condition with Dudley's or Pantene Pro V conditioner once a week. Or I use Dudley's DRC 28 repair for my breakage. I have dandruff and some breakage in the front from coloring so this routine seems to be helping and I am letting the color grow out.
icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah, Dudley has been a salon favorite for years. Coloring and relaxing can be a disaster sometimes. I'm giving my hair a Looong break from regular relaxing. I might have one done in December (a MILD one only). I dunno yet. Right now, I'm loving the volume and texture my hair has without all the excessive chemicals. Do you have a hair length goal?

Originally Posted by devinjhans How did you know? I was posting b-4 you could post this LOL!
icon_biggrin.gif
See, already...we got that sistah-vibe! LOL!

Yeah I do. It was bra length once before then I cut it b/c I got bored. Now I'm trying to get it back to that length again. I normally get twist or braids. My hair is really thick already and I get perms about once every 6-8 weeks.

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC Yeah, Dudley has been a salon favorite for years. Coloring and relaxing can be a disaster sometimes. I'm giving my hair a Looong break from regular relaxing. I might have one done in December (a MILD one only). I dunno yet. Right now, I'm loving the volume and texture my hair has without all the excessive chemicals. Do you have a hair length goal?

Originally Posted by devinjhans Yeah I do. It was bra length once before then I cut it b/c I got bored. Now I'm trying to get it back to that length again. I normally get twist or braids. My hair is really thick already and I get perms about once every 6-8 weeks. Well, don't cut it anymore. I can just see you with perfect makeup and long flowing locks. That will be so pretty on you. YOu get touch ups every 6-8 weeks. Wow, Dev...YOu do have strong hair. Girl, my hair is too fragile for that,and it relaxes easily so if I do get a relaxer it's only about 3 or 4 times TOPS in a year! The next time I get one, I think I will go back to my beloved Affirm. They make great products.

I won't I just trim it. Thanks for the compliment. You must have a good grade of hair. I did like Affirm, but then it didn't work as well anymore, b/c my hair didn't get as straight.

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC Well, don't cut it anymore. I can just see you with perfect makeup and long flowing locks. That will be so pretty on you. YOu get touch ups every 6-8 weeks. Wow, Dev...YOu do have strong hair. Girl, my hair is too fragile for that,and it relaxes easily so if I do get a relaxer it's only about 3 or 4 times TOPS in a year! The next time I get one, I think I will go back to my beloved Affirm. They make great products.

Originally Posted by devinjhans I won't I just trim it. Thanks for the compliment. You must have a good grade of hair. I did like Affirm, but then it didn't work as well anymore, b/c my hair didn't get as straight. My hair is not as thick as yours, that's why I'm sticking to mild relaxers. When I used regular strength, my hair was too limp and lifeless, and I suffered alot of breakage. I guess I had to learn the hard way, huh. But at least I know now and I can go from here.

yeah that is true.

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC My hair is not as thick as yours, that's why I'm sticking to mild relaxers. When I used regular strength, my hair was too limp and lifeless, and I suffered alot of breakage. I guess I had to learn the hard way, huh. But at least I know now and I can go from here.

Hey good thread!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

My hair is very very fine, I just have a lot of it. I relax and color it. I used to color it lighter, and I think the peroxide or bleach or whatever, took it's toll because it's been breaking off for the last month, for the first time in my life. I've been lucky up till now. So, I'm really babying it lately. Now I just color it my natural hair color, to cover the grays, so no damaging lighteners. And I am not going to touch up my roots (with relaxer) as soon as I normally do, I'm going to wait as long as I can. It's hard though! One stubborn wave can ruin the sleek look I'm trying to work!

Right now I use Pantene Relaxed & Natural Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner. But I'm afraid the shampoo isn't controlling my flakes very well, dammit. I have flakes the 2nd day!!! About once every 10 days or so I use Silk Elements Revive & Restore Repair Masque; for deep conditioning I leave it on all night. I also do this with Proclaim Natural 7 Oil. Sometimes I spray on Infusium 23 Leave-In Conditioner, if I feel like my hair needs a little extra protection against the heat styling.

For styling I use silicone products, my hair likes them as long as I use a clarifying shampoo once a month or so. Not too often or it strips my color. I just use a Suave Clarifying shampoo. Anyway, I use John Frieda Frizz-Ease or Brilliant Brunette serums and gels with silicone. Sebastian Laminates is great too! Especially the gel and hairspray. Both very versatile products, if you don't mind spending more money. I get a lot of shine and silky texture. I use Brilliant Brunette finishing creme after I flat-iron my hair, or a teeny drop of the Proclaim oil. (I've even been known to use a dab of Alberto VO5 if my hair's really dry and brittle!) Just to smooth it down, de-pouf it if it's too "clean", and give a nice finish. I use Thicker Fuller Hair hairspray because it doesn't weigh my hair down or build-up. I always use aerosol hairspray because pump bottles are too wet and tend to revert my curl. We don't want that!

Well that's what I'm doing nowadays, I'll probably change it all in a couple of months!

As if I didn't write enough...
icon_confused.gif

My hair goal is to grow it longer; right now it's about 2 inches past my shoulders and I want to grow it probably 6 more inches. I want it long!

i use Pantene Pro v shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. I also use Luster's Pink Glosser to add shine. I don't use spritz and on the rare occasion I use gel it is JAM. I use Sulpher 8 hair grease.

Hey Glam and Diva!!!

Glad you ladies dropped in. Glamslam, I've heard great things about the sebastians laminates. Your hair looks so healthy. I couldn't believe you colored and relaxed together. All of your conditioning is paying off.

Originally Posted by glamslam As if I didn't write enough...
icon_confused.gif

My hair goal is to grow it longer; right now it's about 2 inches past my shoulders and I want to grow it probably 6 more inches. I want it long!

Glam, now you will look even more exotic with super long hair. Very pretty.

Originally Posted by devinjhans i might need to try some of these products. they sound pretty good.
icon_biggrin.gif
The Neutrogena hair serum is great!!!

I wash my hair every day with dominican hair products. My hair strand is fine, but its dense( makes it appear thick). I've been growing my hair out for a year now, and i'm just trying to get it back to my waist. Dominican hair products are my best friend, and denman brush.

Here are some pictures....

Latest posts

Back