Advice on updating dressing table

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

Iv always wanted a dressing table and when I moved in with my partner I was able to get one. Got it from a 2nd hand shop up the street for £15 bargin.

It has a set of 3 draws and is stained dark. Im wanting to update it as we have moved and are decorating by just changing a few bits here and there

Want im wanting to do is strip it back and paint it white just so it looks brighter and fresher.

How am I best doing this? My intention is to use white gloss for the durability and shiny effect.

Do I need to use an undercoat?

Thanks

If the stain and finish aren't in bad shape (flaking off or cracked) you can paint over old stain/varnish. just wash it down with mineral spirits and maybe a light sanding with 120 grit sand paper of finer then a coat of primer and a couple coats of paint. I'd stick with oil based paints for a more durrable finish.

If the finish is not good then use a chemical paint stripper and follow the instructions... then sand, apply primer then two coats of oil based paint.

You can also use high gloss spraypaint if the stain on it is not chipped or peeling in light coats so it doesnt drip. I would also suggest having a piece of glass or mirror cut for the vanity top. It'll be much easier to clean and add some bling. get some nice sparkly knobs for the drawers.

I'd like to see it... could you post a pic?

Please do post a pic
smile.gif

I'm thinking of searching thrift stores or garage sales for a vanity table for storing, and sitting applying my makeup. Or I may try to update my small table I use now.

The tips Karren and Diva posted will be handy for refinishing. Thanks!
smile.gif

Pictures now. I put the paper on the top when I got it just to add a little something.The stain is in really good condition. The corner were my dresser is iv decided is mine, I want something nice and girly but not over the top as its my oh room too. There is no colour on the walls in the bedroom which im changing, thinking of red for the chimney brest. Im going to put a shelf on the wall so I can get rid of the triangle shelf at the end. The make jewellery holder so my dresser top is clear. Iv start college again on Monday so I need a place to do my work aswell.

Its about 45 cm wide x 110cm long. It didnt come with a mirror I pulled that off an old wardrobe

DSCF0771.jpg

DSCF0772.jpg

Any ideas would be great

remove the existing drawer pulls, fill both holes. drill new hole at centre of the 2 old holes. Add new crystal pulls.
170-1130C.JPG

High gloss white would still look cool. Lightly sand and use spray paint in light coats.

You can get a piece of glass or mirror cut for the top.

Add a nice table mirror. This one is from Ikea at only $20

33755_PE123739_S3.jpg

Back