Why do women wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ladies,

As a guy, I'd like to know why women wear makeup? I don't mean any disrespect and I'm here to learn from you but I just don't understand why women are obsessed with products that are filled with hormone disrupting, cancer causing chemicals (according to several studies). Is it because you think that men won't find you pretty without makeup? Is it because of your own insecurities?

Thanks.

Well as another guy... I wear makeup to look pretty!!! Prettier.... Pretterish.... and I don't have any insecurities... Just ask my wife!! lol

Well if you look pretty with makeup, it's certainly a boost for your self confidence, but i don't think we wear makeup for our own insecurities.

For myself, because i have rosacea, some acne to cover, and just because i like applying makeup. It's fun and it's removable
smile.gif

I think the modern society also expects women to wear makeup, be made up, like it's part of being a woman (i mean this as an assumption of a social role).

About men finding women pretty with makeup, i think it's a personal opinion, but i would wear makeup on a date for example because looking your best is part of the seduction.

I've always wondered if women are really that liberated. Everything about the modern woman is fake: fake hair colour, fake boobs, fake nails, fake tan, fake lips, fake eyelashes, fake skin etc. Ok, some will say they don't have all these things, but you still feel the need to paint your faces in order to feel presentable to the world. Women aren't liberated, they're slaves to the cosmetics industry who makes billions of dollars off of women's insecurities.

The companies that market these products are basically saying that women are naturally ugly and need to wear chemicals on their faces in order to be presentable. They won't tell you that directly, but that is the message: women are ugly without makeup. Isn't that pathetic?

I also get the feeling women are extremely misinformed about men when it comes to makeup. I'm spilling the beans here and telling you ladies that yes men like to look at women like Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox but they don't respect them. They find these women attractive in a superficial sense... they see them as women who are desperate for male attention and can be easily manipulated. When we look at women who are all dolled up, it screams INSECURITY and EASY. We see that they don't find themselves pretty enough to be confident about their natural looks.

For not wanting to disrespect your doing a pretty bad job of it! So what is your agenda anyway? guys do not come onto makeup forums and start ranting just because they "want to know why women wear makeup".

Why do guys wear clothes??? I've always wanted to know that. Especially jeans! I'm bet your wearing denim right now? Lol

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've always wondered if women are really that liberated. Everything about the modern woman is fake: fake hair colour, fake boobs, fake nails, fake tan, fake lips, fake eyelashes, fake skin etc. Ok, some will say they don't have all these things, but you still feel the need to paint your faces in order to feel presentable to the world. Women aren't liberated, they're slaves to the cosmetics industry who makes billions of dollars off of women's insecurities.
The companies that market these products are basically saying that women are naturally ugly and need to wear chemicals on their faces in order to be presentable. They won't tell you that directly, but that is the message: women are ugly without makeup. Isn't that pathetic?

I also get the feeling women are extremely misinformed about men when it comes to makeup. I'm spilling the beans here and telling you ladies that yes men like to look at women like Kim Kardashian and Megan Fox but they don't respect them. They find these women attractive in a superficial sense... they see them as women who are desperate for male attention and can be easily manipulated. When we look at women who are all dolled up, it screams INSECURITY and EASY. We see that they don't find themselves pretty enough to be confident about their natural looks.

I like to think that I know men pretty well so here is my take on it. I don't wear makeup for men. I'm sorry to say that men have nothing to do with it. I am married and my husband and I have been together 23 years and he could care less if I wear makeup or not. If it makes me happy and I don't bother him (as in talk to him about it) then he is happy for me. I wear makeup because I like it.I also get the feeling that you are misinformed about women. I for one don't think about what men like. I really don't care what men or anyone else thinks about me and my makeup. My makeup is one thing that I can do for me. It's not about my husband, my children or my family and friends. It's my own little paradise.

Your statement about the companies that market these products to women in my opinion is off. For this to be true you would also have to say that women are stupid. You describe us (women) almost as being complete jackasses with a few bucks to spend and that's not the case.

I understand your point of view but maybe you should consider a theory on the subject that doesn't involve women being obsessed with what men think and how to please them. I really don’t know any women that think about me in that light.

When you start to think thoughts like women being slaves, insecure and naturally ugly I think that you should take a break from thinking and have a Klondike bar.

I do sometimes think that I am just the kind of "target" the makeup industry wants. I don´t see myself as beautiful without makeup. Cute, but not beautiful. And in my eyes, cute isn´t enough, so if I can put makeup on to look better (mainly to myself) then I will.

I disagree with the statement about Megan Fox & Kim Kardasian-type women who wear "too much makeup". First of all, both women are naturally beautiful without it. Second, they are always in the public eye and need to look presentable to keep up their sexy image.

Third, any guy who thinks that women who put that kind of effort into their appearance are "easy" probably has no clue about women to begin with.
whistling.gif

You guys are forgetting that makeup helps bring out the natural beauty of a person. I wear it to define myself. I used to not makeup but now I do because all my products will expire and I like seeing my eyes pop! I like by a simple technique like tight lining helps bring out my eyes. Makeup is not just hiding imperfections, but also bringing out the natural beauty.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif What's with the low opinion of women? Probably can't find a girl friend? Decided to come take it out on us... Lol

I have a 2 year old baby girl and I must admit that I'm terrified of her ending up like the young women of today. You look at all the women's magazines and it's all about finding a man, makeup and shopping. It's no wonder modern women become increasingly unhappy and insecure as they age because their whole lives are about their exterior!

My mother who is 53, never wore any makeup and women keep asking her what her secret is for beautiful skin and she just tells them that she never wears makeup and she swears that it has kept her skin beautiful throughout the years. She takes great care of it and protects it from the sun (UV rays are responsible for 80-90% of skin aging which is something cosmetics companies don't tell you). I've always admired her for being a natural looking woman and my wife is like her although she sometimes wears a little bit of makeup on those rare special occasions. My wife is 35, I'm 28 and her skin is also amazing so I'm totally buying the idea that makeup + UV damage from tanning age the skin significantly.

What about all those gender bending chemicals in makeup? Nobody is concerned with that? There are studies showing that these chemicals affect the endocrine system of teenage girls and women who are pregnant. A woman who works for my wife and wears a lot of foundation makeup has an 8 year old daughter who got her period for the first time last month. I'm not saying that the makeup during the pregnancy is responsible but it may have been.

The beauty industry is a 35 billion dollar a year industry and most consumers are women. Can you imagine how rich and powerful women would be if they used all that money to start women-owned businesses or getting their Ph.Ds? While women spend hours playing with makeup, talking about makeup and spending money on makeup, men start businesses and rule the world. I'm not saying that to be sexist, I want to empower women and I want to empower my little girl. Women are naturally beautiful. If men don't need makeup than neither do women. It's all social brainwashing. Women aren't uglier than men and yet that's what most women unconsciously believe.

If you believe that men rule the world.. Your not paying attention.. And if your children are like mine or any others... They will not have their destiny decided by you and your wife. Each person picks their own path.. And doesn't have the right to force their opinions on any one else... You have the right to your opinions as fanatical as they seem to me and I respect that right but I disagree..

Ohh and this is a drama free forum... If this gets out of hand I will shut it down... But I bet the girls over at MakeupAlley would love to chat with you some?
smile.gif

I know my little girl will do whatever she wants and that's ok, I just want her to know that she is beautiful the way she is. If you feel like my valuing women's natural beauty over fake, manufactured "beauty" is fanatical, then I'm sorry but that's a very pathetic mindset. But I'll leave you alone. Take care ladies xxx

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif My mother who is 53, never wore any makeup and women keep asking her what her secret is for beautiful skin and she just tells them that she never wears makeup and she swears that it has kept her skin beautiful throughout the years. She takes great care of it and protects it from the sun (UV rays are responsible for 80-90% of skin aging which is something cosmetics companies don't tell you). I've always admired her for being a natural looking woman and my wife is like her although she sometimes wears a little bit of makeup on those rare special occasions. My wife is 35, I'm 28 and her skin is also amazing so I'm totally buying the idea that makeup + UV damage from tanning age the skin significantly. My mother is 44 and has great skin. When she was a teenager up until she had my brother and I, she would wear makeup everyday. Not just light makeup but heavy foundation, blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, EVERYTHING! But she always washed off her makeup at night, toned if needed to, moisturized properly, and uses UVA and UVB protection. Her sisters (there are about 6 of them that use makeup alot) and her mother also have beautiful skin but they took care of it too. I also think they have really good genes cause they all have great skin (makeup wearing or not) and look younger than their actual age. So I don't think makeup has to do much, if anything, with aging or ruining someone's skin faster, but it has to do with how well you take care of it and DNA. To me, I like makeup cause it's fun. It's a hobby. Kinda like how people buy video games, go to the movies, paint, etc. We could definitely do better things with our money and time, but it's not like it's hurting anyone and it makes us happy so why not?

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know my little girl will do whatever she wants and that's ok, I just want her to know that she is beautiful the way she is. If you feel like my valuing women's natural beauty over fake, manufactured "beauty" is fanatical, then I'm sorry but that's a very pathetic mindset. But I'll leave you alone. Take care ladies xxx I'm glad that you will make her feel like you will love her no matter what and think she is beautiful but somethings she will do for herself and not for any man. We are many in this forum so we won't be alone but thank you. I really hope you will always make your daughter feel special all her life because that's a father's duty.

Quote:
Hello ladies,
As a guy, I'd like to know why women wear makeup? I don't mean any disrespect and I'm here to learn from you but I just don't understand why women are obsessed with products that are filled with hormone disrupting, cancer causing chemicals (according to several studies). Is it because you think that men won't find you pretty without makeup? Is it because of your own insecurities?

Thanks.

for the same reason people eat foods filled with hormone interupting, cancer causing foods. We like the products and just because something could potentially increase your odds of cancer does not deter us.

Originally Posted by JamieL /img/forum/go_quote.gif The beauty industry is a 35 billion dollar a year industry and most consumers are women. Can you imagine how rich and powerful women would be if they used all that money to start women-owned businesses or getting their Ph.Ds? While women spend hours playing with makeup, talking about makeup and spending money on makeup, men start businesses and rule the world. I'm not saying that to be sexist, I want to empower women and I want to empower my little girl. Women are naturally beautiful. If men don't need makeup than neither do women. It's all social brainwashing. Women aren't uglier than men and yet that's what most women unconsciously believe. Wait. What? Women who like to wear makeup don't get PhD's or start businesses as a result of spending time on their makeup? That is sexist.
As for "fake skin," you said your wife has perfect skin as well as your mom. Great - but many of us don't, and it doesn't have as much to do with makeup as you might think. I am not going to walk around with a bright red face and acne scars if I don't have to. I wear foundation as part of my insecurity, yes, but what is that insecurity based on? The fact that many people will judge someone else with bad skin as being unattractive or at least not the best they could be. I see nothing wrong with concealing imperfections.

Regarding the rest of my face, I do that because it's fun. Simple as that. Part of it is a desire to look prettier, but most of it is because I like doing it. Just as a note, most days I go to class only wearing foundation and blush (to make my skin look better). I only wear shadow when I have time in the morning...tell me how that means I'll never get my master's degree?

I just have to say that I read this thread with my mouth wide open in aw. I'm utterly shocked that someone would join the forum just to tell us that what we do is superficial.

I love makeup. I love everything about and I'm sure that's how just about everyone else feels too. I won't go out without makeup on, and I realise this is my own insecurities, but like the post before me says this is due to what other people have said to and about me when I was younger. I was picked on all through school because I wasn't as "pretty" as the barbie dolls that hung off the footy jocks. I never wore makeup until I left school, and when I did start wearing it I received compliments. I feel naked without it, but on the most part I just enjoy putting my makeup on. I think it is unfair to assume that everyone wears makeup due to their insecurities. There are girls on this forum with literally perfect skin and they still wear makeup. I don't know where I'm going with this but I had to put my two bobs in. :]

You label way to much in my book.

Make-up will never die out, so it will reach your daughter in some shape or form. She will admire ladies who are pretty and get the pretty boys. She will wonder what it's like to be someone else or to see if anything will change if she tries something new. That's part of life when she picks up a lipstick and smear "cancer" all over her lips.

Once she does that, will you call her fake? Will you call her easy?

Just because she picks up on cosmetics will not turn your daughter into a whore.

We admire different aspects of beauty, not just one, not just natural.

I really wish you could see me doing a face palm to every remark you said on this thread.

Latest posts

Back