Dressing for Success

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a defined dress code where you work?

This is an article from Canada.com.

From bare shoulders in California's Capitol building to Muslim head scarves at Disneyland to no "bling" in the NBA: What's acceptable attire -- or not -- in the workplace is as rumpled as an ill-fitting suit.

It's a problem that has permeated office cubicles and corporate culture for decades.

"There's been a million books written on 'dress for success,' but there's still a lot of uncertainty," said Kimberly Elsbach, a graduate school of management professor at the University of California-Davis.

And as employers have found, it's never easy defining what's appropriate, no matter the workplace.

"It's a minefield as far as misinterpretation or causing bad feelings," said Tom Nearn, operations manager for Generations law firm in Sacramento.

Over the years, Nearn's firm has tried a number of ways to convey what it wanted, including the innocuous advice to "dress professionally." But low-cut tops and leggings worn to work by junior attorneys made him realize an intervention was required. He brought in a professional clothing expert, who met with the firm's attorneys.

The result: "It turned the corner for us as far as good communication on how to dress and project the image you want."

It's not a problem everywhere, of course.

Diane D. Miller, president and CEO of Wilson Miller & Nelson, a Sacramento career and executive coaching firm, said: "We don't find tank tops and cleavage at the executive ranks ... Men and women who are serious about their work make sure they look like it."

But there are generational differences as to what's "appropriate," and there are differences across corporate cultures. The loosened-up environment at Apple or Pixar has completely different clothing requirements than a more button-down insurance or financial services company, Elsbach notes.

"We've had to address low tops, short skirts, tight clothing. Either too much or not enough," said Debbe Dreher, vice-president of Association Resource Center, whose 44 employees are primarily women.

"You don't want to be offensive or critical of an employee," she said, "but at the same time you have to look at the impression they're giving your clients."

Dreher's Folsom, Calif., company is a trade association management firm. She also is executive director of the 700-member Sacramento Area Human Resources Association.

She said most companies have a written policy on dress so the expectations are clear. At her firm, employees whose workday attire is problematic first get an oral warning; if skimpy attire continues, it's written up.

Miller said some companies are dropping their "business casual" policies because employees don't understand the term. "When the staff starts wearing clothes they would wear to the market on the weekends, you've got trouble."

What to wear to work

I thought the pants on the woman in the article were a tad too tight for work, but that's just me.

I don't think its too tight for work but rather too tight because it doesn't fit properly. Its all bunchy and wrinkled. Not very attractive ...and her jacket sleeves are too short because she is showing too much wrist for a suit jacket.

my boss likes me to wear mini skirts and low cut tops. i told him its not fashionable to wear both at the same time, but he insists that i do, i feel terrible taking public transport to work and being judged to be a skank, im not really. ive only been with 60 guys. Is there a way i can get my bosses approval and be fashionable at the same time?

I always over-dress... My boss usually comes in casual and I'm always weaing a blazer and tie... Figure I've been doing it long enough I've set my own dress code.. The new engineer that works for me wears a toe to.. Blames it one me! Ohh and one of my favorite bookx is titled "corss-dress for success". Lol. Most of the women at wokr wear casual except the younger ones are really dressing up more lately..

I have a uniform so that's one question solved for me, but one thing i don't do unless stated as authorized is wear jeans. When i don't know what to wear, i go for straight leg pants and trench coat, and then a blouse or a shirt with long sleeves and just enough cleavage to show my pretty necklace.

Bottoms should be at least around knee length (if it's a few inches above the knees, I'll usually wear leggings underneath), shoulders should not be bare (if I have a tank top on, I'll usually throw a 3/4 sleeve coverup or some other layer on top)

Those aren't set in stone rules but we're usually "business casual" with "casual for work" days when we've got to do some work away from the desk.

I usually just do khaki pants or other non-jean pants with some sort of top to be lazy for work. occasionally i'll get dressy with a dress/skirt/other. my office is all girls and they'd all rather show up in jeans anyway so it's not too big of a deal.

I work in an office though, so I'd say those are probably generically good guidelines for most business casuals. other places might be more specific. sometimes a little bit of cleavage is inevitable, but a cami underneath can hide enough of it to still be professional without looking overtly sexual.

At my job we have a very specific work uniform. People have been fired for not wearing the right colored shirt before.

I can pretty much wear whatever I want except for a bikini to work. I usually wear jeans and a top with slipon sneakers or jeans, long sleeve t and hightops. On a special occasion, I will wear a dress. The only time I am expected to wear business attire is if I travel to another office. Then I am fully decked out
smile.gif

I just would like to wear jeans with shirts and toppers, it looks too comfortable and relaxed.

I usually dress business casual for work - maybe a knee length skirt, heels and a shirt and cardigan. I try and add some fun jewelry or a colorful pashmina to make my outfits more exciting. For interviews though, I would always wear a suit, even though I hate suits! So I'm always on the look-out for professional, interview-worthy clothes that aren't just your average gray or black suit. I work with CAbi clothing and I think they have some cute suggestions for how to spice up your professional wardrobe on their blog this week. What's your go-to outfit for interviews?

Hmmm... Polos/dress shirts and jeans/slacks were my last dress code. I like how easy and comfortable and effortless it was.

hi

trousers and shirts are fine in my office

Much time of day we spend in office, so i think comfort is important.

Too tight dresses are not comfortable.

At work, we are supposed to be as formal as we can,

i usually go for casual formal and mostly pants, sine am in helpdesk, and i can find myself under the table on some occasions.

and when i know we have a scheduled meeting, i dress most formal, put a lil bit more make up on. and some jewelry.

i find jewelry in a work place too much so i sometimes just wear a simple necklace or something.

Originally Posted by 808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif my boss likes me to wear mini skirts and low cut tops. i told him its not fashionable to wear both at the same time, but he insists that i do, i feel terrible taking public transport to work and being judged to be a skank, im not really. ive only been with 60 guys. Is there a way i can get my bosses approval and be fashionable at the same time? wut

Originally Posted by 808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my boss likes me to wear mini skirts and low cut tops. i told him its not fashionable to wear both at the same time, but he insists that i do, i feel terrible taking public transport to work and being judged to be a skank, im not really. ive only been with 60 guys. Is there a way i can get my bosses approval and be fashionable at the same time?

Originally Posted by dixiewolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by 808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my boss likes me to wear mini skirts and low cut tops. i told him its not fashionable to wear both at the same time, but he insists that i do, i feel terrible taking public transport to work and being judged to be a skank, im not really. ive only been with 60 guys. Is there a way i can get my bosses approval and be fashionable at the same time?   wut
Errm maybe add a belt or hawt mini sweater or jcket on it ? pumps would look sxy and errm.. wear leggings to be covered up or so tell me more info bout the outfit ...

Back