How Do You Discipline Your Kids?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was watching a couple of episodes of those 'nanny' shows... They are all for the naughty chair and 'time outs' and talking to them like adults.

I was wondering what works for you?

I'm not a parent, but I work in a child care center and I nannied two young boys for about 2 years and I found time outs very effective. Connor (the younger of the 2 - 3 when i started looking after them) had major issues with eating dinner. I could serve him up a plate of lollies for dinner but I reckon he still wouldn't eat it just to annoy me. If he didn't want to eat he sat on a chair in the computer room while Darcy and I ate. At first it didn't feel like it was working, but after a couple of weeks he realised that if he didn't eat dinner when it was given to him that he didn't eat and he didn't get to sit with Darcy and myself. I also took ice creams out of the agenda if he didn't eat. After a while I never had issues getting him to eat dinner, or what I served up for him.

My son is 17. He and I have already weathered the discipline storm.

I took parenting cources and learned that the best way to discipline is to tell my son, ahead of time, what I expext of him.

And he had the opportunity to ask me question - generally led to a productive discussion.

By talking ahead of time, he was less likely to act up.

I don't think there is anything wrong with communicating with a child the same way as if they were adult.

Using baby talk is just stupid - especially since I would use adult talk when we would go to a restaurant, library, car ride, etc.

So why would I use baby talk when I disciplined my son?

Listen, if we want consistency with our child's behaviour, don't you think that the child would like consistency with our behaviour?

Yep Carolyn, talking to them ahead of time does help. It doesn't mean they won't ever push the boundaries, but you can't expect them to be mind readers and know what kind of behavior you expect if you don't lay it out for them.

Also, explaining things helps to avoid some of the arguing. Instead of No, I might say No, because that isn't safe. X, Y, and Z can happen. But you can do A, B, or C.

Well my son's only 15 months so there's not much "disciplining" going on here. When he does stuff we don't like, we try to distract him into doing something else, or show him how he should do whatever.

I have a point system. My point system and the rewards are great. I dont deal with alot of BS. I created a manual back in 2006 or so with my rules, how to's and things of that nature. I outlined everything that a child could possible do right...and wrong. Next to whatever situation there was the amount of points to be added...or deducted. They can only cash out once a month if they chose to. It secretly taught them how to work together as well, because they have the option to use all their points together to do things like the pajama ride, or whatever. Its effective, I love it, they love it, sometimes they hate it when they do something wrong, but overall, very effective.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a point system. My point system and the rewards are great. I dont deal with alot of BS. I created a manual back in 2006 or so with my rules, how to's and things of that nature. I outlined everything that a child could possible do right...and wrong. Next to whatever situation there was the amount of points to be added...or deducted. They can only cash out once a month if they chose to. It secretly taught them how to work together as well, because they have the option to use all their points together to do things like the pajama ride, or whatever. Its effective, I love it, they love it, sometimes they hate it when they do something wrong, but overall, very effective. I also think it might be worth publishing as well.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif really? I might look into that. It works wonders. If you think that other parents can apply the same principles to disciplining their children and it doesn't involve maming or torture, I'm sure people will be interested.

I have a boy, and he is very stubborn. and very clever.

I have had trouble disciplining him, but when he is extremely bad, usually in public, or if he steals or lies, I will take his toys away. all of them.

I will completly clean out his room, he will have nothing but furniture, and light, and the posters on his walls. 

I usually do this for a day at a time, it works well.

He is so well behaved when this happens, its ridiculous. Maybe its because  he's bored out of his mind watching me and my fiance listen to podcasts and watch tedtalks - who knows. 

So far I've been just telling him that when he does something bad, it makes mummy sad. and show him a sad face. Takes a few repetitions, but then he'll stop for a while.

When he acts out in public, I say his name sharply and give him the evil eye. For some reason he quiets down. My mum did that to me and I don't know why it works...

I discipline them by talking to them and discussing on their offences.. I mean, if its a small problem then we just talk it out. But when it involves drugs like that my oldest son (now 22) did, my other children ( 11, 15, 17) knows that if they do the same thing they will end up in military boarding school

Last edited by a moderator:
I speak to my children when they do something wrong mostly. Once a while a spanking comes and then they have to apologize after the spanking for their offence. It makes me sad when I have to spank them and make them cry but 'spare the rod and spoil the child' so it has to be. Once a while I scream - I know it's wrong but they push me to do it to catch their attention.

My little one is only 2, but we already started with time outs. I give a warning, explain what he's doing wrong - and if he does it again, it's a 2 minute time out. He seems to know what's up - because there's a hug and a sorry mommy when he gets out. It's also been really effective at curbing bad behaviors.

Whatever the age of your child, it's important to be consistent when it comes to discipline. If parents don't stick to the rules and consequences they set up, their kids aren't likely to either.

I go to church and I read my bible.  It gives me wisdom to know when to spank and when to listen!  Matter of fact starting in Apr my church is hosting a Parenting University to help with everyday issues we have with our little blessings!  (LOL)  I know a lot of people run from the church, but I have been saved for about 6 years now and I have gain so much by going to the studies and workshops they offer!    No other way worked for me!  You can try to put them in the corner, beat them until they are black and blue, ground them...  But if we don't teach them how to behave and how to honor and respect parents it is hard!  I did not grow up in the church, so learning these things have been such a turning point to bring peace and order to our home!  

That is what I do!

Yeah you should publish it!  It sounds like it could be a blessing to many people! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back