How Do You Chose A Moisturizer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When you are buying a moisturizer, are you reading the ingredients list before purchase? Do you open up and sniff? Do you buy it because it has a cute bottle? What makes you pick up that moisturizer and put it in your basket?

I am a sucker for packaging. This is what makes me pick it up. I usually pop open the lid and sniff because I like a more floral but not distinctly floral scent. I hate fruity of any kind, coconut too. That bottle goes back down if the scent is fruity or coconutty. Lastly, I read the ingredients. If it looks decent, no cocoa butter or coconut oils, not too many parabens, the bottle goes in my basket
smile.gif

Well i was an oil of olay user for years, due to my mom and grandma swore by the stuff. Just last month i was reading InStyle and they had a sample of Garnier moisture rescue, its kind of like a gel..tried that and loved it!! Also came with a dollar off coupon, so i went out and got a jar and been using ever since!!

Daytime moisturizer: it has got to have a decent SPF, and should be lightweight cause my skin is very oily

Nighttime moisturizer: only use it occasionally, more often in the colder months, so it can be on the rich side. Nice smell is a plus, but not absolutely necessary

Moisturizers are not the most important part of my skincare regimen, so I´m not that picky. If I was rich I´d probably buy high end creams just because it feels so luxurious to use something with the name Chanel, Dior etc on it lol. But I don´t believe that expensive is automatically better!!!

Packaging, not so much, tube, pump, pot is fine. Frankly i feel cheated upon if the packaging is cute but the formula doesn't stand up to it.

Then i switch the bottle to the back, and read the ingredients list. I check for petroleum/vaseline, wheat germ oil, penoxyethanol, oat (avena sativa), fragrance, which i do not want. Being organic is a bonus, i don't mind parabens if there's not too much of them.

Finally if there's a tube open for testing, i sniff (i can accept any floral or fruity scent as long as it's mild) and then i apply it on my hands, see how is the texture.

It takes me some time to choose a moisturizer, i check prices, i check different stores (it's called maximizing your purchasing power). During autumn and winter i will use a rich cream, whereas in spring and summer i settle for lightweight, milky textures.

For daytime, I use a moisturizer with salicylic acid. The brand I use is Clean & Clear because it's one of the few that actually has salicylic acid.

I research. If it doesn't have tons of good reviews online I'm not touching it. I'm still looking fora good night time cream.

Body moisturizer, I look for a cream with a good scent. Regular lotions melt too much like water and disappear too fast, or sometimes feel oily. Butters are a bit too thick for me.

Facial moisturizer -- I haven't really noticed any with fruity scents? maybe I look more in the generic things so I don't even think of those as facial moisturizers.

For night time I like something that is thicker -- one I can feel a distinct difference in the morning. For daytime I put just under makeup so something that gets absorbed quickly, has some SPF, and generic daily moisturizing. (Haven't had to deal with wrinkles or aging yet so I haven't looked for those yet.)

I got onto the Olay kick a few months ago and my skin feels healthier so I've been buying more from their brand lately. It seems to fit well with my skin. (I actually get less random breakouts now than I did while I used Clean and Clear with acne fighting things. I don't get bad breakouts, but I was still getting 1-2 blemishes a month. They're not oil related, so I didn't think the cleanser would do much, but I've only maybe had 1 or 2 in the last 6 months now since switching. It might be my cleanser, it might just be my getting older and my hormones changing, but whatever it is, it's working, haha)

I don't use moisturizer too often.

I'll use my Olay sunscreen sometimes.

Or good old Vaseline applied to damp skin - works great.

Daytime: spf and acne fighting (Neutrogena multi vitamin)

Night time: Hydrating and anti aging (L'oreal visible lift)

Body: Anti ash (Shea butter mixed with something about cherry almond)

I mostly use home remedies and natural products, but when suppose to use drug products then i always prefer Lakme products. I just don't need to watch on the ingredients, packaging and all. I just purchase it. I use moisturizer of lakme only. I just watch how much that product is effective for my skin.

Back