Foundation rant.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really am at wits end. I feel like I can't find ANYTHING. I'll try and think of all the kinds I've tried so far but its not even the real amount. Note, not all of these are drugstore brands, and I'm not sure of the exact names for some.

Revlon Coverstay

Revlon Photoready

Maybelline Matte Mousse

Lancome powder

Maybelline Highlighting & Concealer

jane. Concealer

jane. Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Concealer

Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation

Revlon Custom Creations foundation

Covergirl 'clean' makeup

Covergirl powder

Rimmel 25 hour foundation (not sure if that's exactly right?)

Rimmel Stay Matte foundation

Loreal Roll-On Foundation

Loreal True Match concealer

Cargo Foundation

Bare Minerals powder

Physicians Formula concealer

Neutrogena Liquid salicylic acid foundation

Mary Kay Powder

This really old brand of powderr that's like 75 years old and they sell it at some Walmarts and Walgreens.

And I feel like this is a lot. Maybe a bit smaller of a list than some here, but considering I'm 14 and have been wearing this stuff for 2 years, it's a serious pain to never find something that's natural looking enough for my skin. None of these look quite 'natural' enough to not be obvious at a close enough distance. It makes me sick how much [of my mothers] money I've spent on this kind of stuff.

Should I just stop my search and just deal with what I have? Do you have aany recommendations? At all? Any, "Sorry, your just pretty much screwed,"?

I have fairly dry skin, and Keratosis Pilaris (seriously no cure i've tried lots of obscure things I can't even get started into this) + dark circles (everyone knows nothing works, basically.) which pretty much means I don't go anywhere without foundation. It isn't really an option to me.

P.S: I've tried using primers, moisturizers, sponges, brushes, exfoliated, etc. Doesn't make any differences.

I was going to suggest maybe the Beauty Blender or Sonia kashuk blending sponge - these sponge give you such a smooth, natural finish. Besides that, idk... good luck.

I have the same problem! It's really annoying that everything looks and feels odd. But I'm 23...I've been searching since I was your age :/. So far everyday minerals feels and looks best on my face! You can order some free samples from their website and try it.

I also had problem finding the right shade when I was younger specially because I wanted to cover blemish and imperfection but still have a natural look.

Now I have much better skin and I found a great match with Bare Minerals that I use mainly in spring/summer and the Prescriptives customized liquid foundation that I use when I have more of a dry skin. The prescrptives one is really great and before I bought the all bottle they even gave a sample so it might be worth a try.

Application technique and finding the right tool (brush, sponge etc) is also a crucial thing, I guess I would have had much better results in my early years if I had not used my fingers!

I only wear concealer, mascara, bit of blush and l/g when I want that natural and fresh look. I hate how my skin feels under a layer of makeup.

I totally understand your pain. I was in your position a couple months ago. I had Bare Minerals foundation that just wouldn't match my natural skintone, therefore not looking natural on me at all. So one day, I went to the mall and visited all the cosmetic counters and tried a bunch of different foundations until I found one that I really liked. I settled on Lancome Ageless Mineral powder foundation. I also got a sample of Estee Lauder's Nutritious minerals liquid foundation, that I am falling in love with. I use the EL liquid foundation just on the places I need, like on my checks where I have alot of pink and some my chin which tends to break out, then I follow up with the Lancome mineral foundation all over my face to set for a natural look
smile.gif

If you are not talking about a natural shade match but a natural finish, my guess would be that your technique is the problem. How much foundation are you applying? You say you have dark circles and keratosis pilaris, so my guess would be you have a tendency to over do the foundation trying to cover up these issues.

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif And I feel like this is a lot. Maybe a bit smaller of a list than some here, but considering I'm 14 and have been wearing this stuff for 2 years, it's a serious pain to never find something that's natural looking enough for my skin. None of these look quite 'natural' enough to not be obvious at a close enough distance. It makes me sick how much [of my mothers] money I've spent on this kind of stuff. Should I just stop my search and just deal with what I have? Do you have aany recommendations? At all? Any, "Sorry, your just pretty much screwed,"?

I have fairly dry skin, and Keratosis Pilaris (seriously no cure i've tried lots of obscure things I can't even get started into this) + dark circles (everyone knows nothing works, basically.) which pretty much means I don't go anywhere without foundation. It isn't really an option to me.

P.S: I've tried using primers, moisturizers, sponges, brushes, exfoliated, etc. Doesn't make any differences.

Have you thought about getting a professional makeup application done so that you can get a feel for what others can do to cover the KP and the circles? It may cost you some $ but save you the expense of buying stuff that doesnt work or at least give you some tips on technique that your friends also being teens can't give you. My friends and I went to Merle Norman when we were teens for a make over which a friend had booked for us for fun. I got some good tips on makeup application.
BTW. I have KP. Over 40% of the planet has KP. I just have it on my upper arms tho, its hereditary so my dad and my sister also have it. Virgin coconut oil helps after a really really good exfoliating. My KP is less noticable since I had been scrubbing with a buffpuff EVERYDAY and applying coconut oil. If it is on your face, you may want to do that at night. If you do it in the shower, the excess will wash off and it is completely absorbed even before you step out of the shower.

I appreciate the replies!

@ Beautii

You know, I've tried normal sponges but I know I've heard about these! I'm considering them but idk if they'd work if normal sponges either don't do anything for me or makes it blotchy for some reason.

@ Aliana

I'll look into this as well, thanks. I'll see if they have it at Sephora, just because it'd be easier to try it out at the mall!

@ Swedgirl

Mhm. Tried Bare Minerals.
frown.gif
Looked orange and disco-like on me, unfortunately. Since my cheeks are already red any type of orange makeup accentuates it, lol! Maybe Prescriptives though, I have dry skin.

@ Sadie

I used to, but over the past 6-7 months I've gotten alot more tan lmao. So I guess I'm pale now, but nope, not quite porcelain. My colorstay in Ivory is too light.

@ shyiskrazy

Yeah. I feel like I can only wear mascara because anything more makes it look like too much. And that's only because of the foundation! >_<

@ Coffeegal

I'll look out for EL next time I go to the mall!
smile.gif

@ internetchick

I like medium to heavy coverage I will admit, but I do try to not put too much on. One good layer dabbed & patted, not rubbed, onto the skin, and then concealer under the eyes if its not a heavy enough foundation (usually isnt for eyes, lol.)

I've heard light layers instead of one good-enough layer are best, but .. I guess its just not my method of choice. Maybe I should try that again though.

When I go to makeup counters they generally apply the same amount I do, and over the day you can generally see some of the redness showing through. But its like half the amount it usually is which is good enough for me.

@ Divadoll

Lol, if you count makeup counters and Glamour shots yes. My foundation looked SOO cakey from Glamour Shots, but I got hooked after I saw the photos. I've never really gone to friends for makeup advice, because most of them just wear mascara/eyeliner/eyeshadow. And have great skin, or at least just acne. I swear what I would do to have acne because it's way more treatable than KP, lol.

The most knowledgeable makeup artist, and probably the one that didn't talk down to me the most was this (probably) gay makeup artist, and he told me that I should dab the foundation in instead of rubbing. But, I had already had a habit of doing that already. Oh, and this artist at MAC didn't act very condescending, that was a plus.

Every other makeup artist just assumed I didn't need it (because a) *i was already wearing it* and B) the yellow mall lights are pretty flattering) soo they didn't exactly help much and it felt like they talked down to me. Generally not a fun experience.
smile.gif

But yay, KP. On face, arms and legs but it's not very noticeable at all on my arms and legs. I've used virgin coconut oil awhile back, for both putting on my skin and oil pulling, to no avail.

Originally Posted by Sexy Sadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Make Up Store is the solution to your problems, my swedish friend. Lol what?

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I appreciate the replies!

@ Divadoll

Lol, if you count makeup counters and Glamour shots yes. My foundation looked SOO cakey from Glamour Shots, but I got hooked after I saw the photos. I've never really gone to friends for makeup advice, because most of them just wear mascara/eyeliner/eyeshadow. And have great skin, or at least just acne. I swear what I would do to have acne because it's way more treatable than KP, lol.

The most knowledgeable makeup artist, and probably the one that didn't talk down to me the most was this (probably) gay makeup artist, and he told me that I should dab the foundation in instead of rubbing. But, I had already had a habit of doing that already. Oh, and this artist at MAC didn't act very condescending, that was a plus.

Every other makeup artist just assumed I didn't need it (because a) *i was already wearing it* and B) the yellow mall lights are pretty flattering) soo they didn't exactly help much and it felt like they talked down to me. Generally not a fun experience.
smile.gif

But yay, KP. On face, arms and legs but it's not very noticeable at all on my arms and legs. I've used virgin coconut oil awhile back, for both putting on my skin and oil pulling, to no avail.

Lol what?

Oil pulling is a load of crap. However, you have to exfoliate really well first then coconut oil. It does take a while but it will work. I have had KP since I was 9. I left it without any treatment until 2 years ago. The bumps are caused by clogged pores at the hair root. Your body can't sluff off skin properly thats why you get the little pimply skin. The darkness is scarring.
I was thinking more of going to MAC or a salon that does makeup for proms and weddings etc. Go in with as little makeup as you can bare going out with or none at all.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oil pulling is a load of crap. However, you have to exfoliate really well first then coconut oil. It does take a while but it will work. I have had KP since I was 9. I left it without any treatment until 2 years ago. The bumps are caused by clogged pores at the hair root. Your body can't sluff off skin properly thats why you get the little pimply skin. The darkness is scarring.
I was thinking more of going to MAC or a salon that does makeup for proms and weddings etc. Go in with as little makeup as you can bare going out with or none at all.

Yeah. I can't exactly say I did oil pulling straight for more than 2 weeks..but I really didn't get any results besides the initial 'cleansing' (basically I just broke out and my throat was really sore, happened every time I tried it) effects, and then everything just stayed the same. My mother said she felt alot better, because she has alot of back pain and such, and I didn't even tell her how it could help her with that..but she's odd.
smile.gif

But hmm. You know, I think I just might try it again, with exfoliating, because I know that part I didn't do. I think I'm going to buy some today! Do you know if the scarring goes away, though? I didn't know it was technically scarring, that doesn't sound good! Lol! And do you know how long it took for you?

P.S: Maybe the getting makeup done thing is a good idea. I watch a lot of Youtube, & read forums like these, not exactly the same as a live makeup artist. But I wouldn't want to get my makeup done and buy some stuff, but then not learn anything new out of it. >.<

It took a couple of weeks of religiously scrubbing my arms. Everyday I scrubbed and then applied the coconut oil. The texture of my arms are pretty good now but the dark patches take a long time. I have a nice tan going so it is not too noticable. I really don't know how long takes. Everyone is different. People tend to exfoliate faces more than arms. If you can get the goose pimple skin to go away, it'll be easier to cover with concealer and foundation. My sister's is not that bad so her's is like she never had it at all. There are tons of forums and information about KP. My sister got that info from one of them. I've read on one place that they were treating their daughter's kp with Retin A. It exfoliates the skin at a rapid rate to get rid of the excess skin.

I think all you are lacking is technique because all of those cosmetics, you should be able to get some results.

If you go to a professional, I'm pretty sure you'll learn some tips out of it. You will at least know how it should look like and you can see how she/he is putting it on your face and in what order. Maybe if you are going to book the appt, you can tell them that you really need expert advise to apply makeup to hide your skin condition. See if this is ok that you want them to tell you what is going on and how, like a tutorial but on you specifically. See if they will do that for you. Usually, where they are actively selling the products used, they will accommodate. My friends get their makeup done at MAC for special occasions. It costs about $50 I think you can apply it to products if you purchase. Check that out first. If they give you a look that is acceptible to you, then you'll at least have a list of products, colours that are going to look right.

I know it sucks. I also have eczema on my face which flares up once in a while. I am very susceptible to sweat! I get a heat rash very easily. I can't have water sitting on my face too long without my face getting itchy. I'm 42 so I have a nice routine worked out by now. Let us know how it goes.

For keratosis pilaris home remedy ..we follow things...

*Washing Your Face Gently

*Moisturizing Skin

* there are many over the counter creams containing lactic acid which help in removing the build up of keratin, at times these creams can cause skin irritations

*keratosis pilaris home remedy is to improvise youdiet by including loads of fruits, vegetables, rich in vitamin A and vitamin E, and omega-3 essential fatty acids.

Back