Recommended brushes for well, everything!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello beauty junkies
smile.gif

I am in Cosmetology school, and I want to build me up a great makeup kit, cause I'm thinking I might focus more on makeup than hair when I graduate. Anyway, our school-issued kits came with a great amount of makeup, but it is lacking in brushes. I want to be professional, and have a decent amount of brushes. I plan on buying a cute little brush belt once I get my collection up! ^.^

So I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for brushes for all types of makeup: foundation (liquid, powder, mineral), finishing powder, blush, contouring, concealer, and especially brushes for the eyes. What types of brushes do you use where? I want recs for various price ranges.. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I'm willing to pay more for quality brushes that really make a difference. What are your essential brushes?

Also, if there are any other products (makeup, skincare, etc) that you think would go great in my kit... please share! =)

I think sigma and crown brushes are good. I think it's a great starter kit. MAC is pretty much queen of all brushes according to everyone but it's really expensive! If you want MAC brushes, I think you go with their pro program and then buy them. I think you get a very large discount if you're accepted in their pro program.

Yes, if you can have a pro discount, totally go for it. MAC has good brushes, i have two brushes from Makeup Forever, i would definitely recommend the kabuki brush, their foundation brush is ok.

Ecotools brushes are also fairly inexpensive, i like the one i have.

You can also check out the Sephora brand brushes, those with the grey handle (i think they're called platinium) are good. But do compare their quality and prices with other brushes i've noticed sometimes there isn't such a difference between those brushes and MAC's.

Now another trick is to get synthetic paint brushes, you can really cut down the cost. The brand i use is called Leonard, but i know the Loew Cornell brushes are more available in the U.S. Enkore makeup did a video (on YT) about his suggestions for Loew Cornell brushes that look like MAC brushes, if that helps.

You might also want to include a brush cleanser and tissues, to clean them in between clients. I would also include a few hair accessories to put the hair away if you're working on female models. A makeup remover to clean your client's face before applying anything, i would get something for sensitive skin so it would be less aggressive.

Back