Winter moisturiser

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Instead of all the questions on what people can use on their skins for the dryness of winter weather, I thought Id start a topic about what you use and find works best for the winter skin.

So whats your winter skin saver?

Im currently on the look for a new one so maybe the ones you swear by could help me pick a new one. Ive been trying cliniques DDM but its not working for me
frown.gif

One thing i must precise is you may have the best moisturizer available, sometimes it's like with clothes. Layering is better.

So what works for me is a combination of 3 things (after washing and patting dry my face) : waterspray+serum+moisturizer.

Waterspray : for the dehydrated side of my skin, any type of thermal water can do, it's about the minerals inside and your personal preference here. I would suggest these : Uriage, La Roche Posay, Avene, if nothing else Evian.

Serum : the only one i tried during winter is Sana Nameraka Honpo soymilk essence, the bottle lasts your months and it's made for the most sensitive skins (i buy it online at Sasa).

Moisturizer :

Sana Nameraka honpo soymilk cream, again cheap and very effective, and sinks in quickly too.

Weleda Almond hydrating cream (you also have a rich cream available, but i don't like this one as much).

Logona Rosecream, for day. I like this one, but rose is a good ingredient to look for whatever the brand.

Another thing you can do is combine a hydrating cream, which you would apply first, then a rich cream, with a heavier content of oils/butters/waxes.

The greasy molecules don't like the cold and what happens is they snuggle against each other, therefore making a barrier against the cold. That's why you should apply it last.

Also, you should definitely apply moisturizer in the morning and at night, whether it's the cold outside or the overheated office, your skin will lose moisture so it will need extra pampering at night.

Additional items :

Catena 8 cups of water mask, it's fantastic and stays true to its name (i buy at Sasa too). But whatever mask you use it should be hydrating, store away the clay masks.

Scrub once a week/10 days, more if i have flakes.

Daily washing : oil cleansing, consisting of sweet almond oil and water (blackcurrant water+babassu extract).

Don't forget to wear sunscreen ! The snow reflects the sunlight so you can still get a sunburn. I usually apply it first.

Sorry for the long post, i hope it helps
smile.gif

You're welcome
smile.gif

Another cream i plan to test this winter is Korres thyme honey cream. It's a bit more expensive, but it's very rich and a little goes a long way. The brand also has a rose cream which also targets dry skins.

One thing i forgot to precise about the seum is it should be hydrating and if possible have anti aging properties.

i HIGHLY recommend Aveeno moisturizer with SPF, it leaves my face so hydrated, and there is also a tinted one now.

Originally Posted by LovelyLara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i HIGHLY recommend Aveeno moisturizer with SPF, it leaves my face so hydrated, and there is also a tinted one now.

Do you mean the one with soy proteins ? I love it !

For me, I have to drink lots of water, eat lots of foods with oil, and use thicker lotions and moisturizers.  Plus, a humidifier!  It's only been in the 40s a couple of nights here and already I can feel my body getting dehydrated.  Yuck!

Do not bathe hot water as it results in drying of the skin and itchy. Petroleum jelly's protect from losing moistuture of the skin.Hence they are of limited use.Glycerine is the best humectant. Any brands containing glycerine with aloevera &vitamin E is the most preferable

I agree, and a humidifier is a great help. It also helps if you place one in your room, a too dry room isn't good, and it actually helps if you happen to have a cold or any other lung related sickness.

When my face gets uncomfortably dry during the winter, I use a moisturizing mask.  I really like Shiseido Moisture Relaxing Mask.  This stuff is wonderful.  I also use Egyptian Magic on my face at night during the winter.  It is really moisturizing and you can use it all over your body if you want. 

During winter I change my night cream.  Instant Plumping Cream from Omorovicza is what I prefer to use.  It's very rich and is easily absorb by the skin.

Korres thyme honey moisturizer is definitely a go, although i must say i probably won't repurchase another pot now that i know the price in my country, big ouch.

Latest posts

Back