Quick tut. about contouring and highlighting

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this today, and i really liked the infos .. thought this maybe helpful for the newbies in MU like myself
icon_redface.gif

• Few of us have a perfect face shape, the most desirable shape usually being oval. Using darker foundation, clever highlighers and blusher, it is possible to create the illusion of a different face shape.
    The following pictures give you a guide to where to shade or highlight your face. Each picture shows the contouring in brown pencil, highlight in yellow pencil and blusher in green pencil. (Please note this is for demonstration purposes only!)
Round Face Shape 

Contour: Sides of jaw, temples and neck
Highlight: Centre of nose, centre of cheeks, chin and forehead

Blush: Just under the cheekbones

roundface.jpg
Heart Face Shape 

Contour: Temples and chin
Highlight: Lower cheeks on jawline

Blush: On the cheekbones

heartface.jpg
Long Face Shape

Contour: Forehead by hairline, lower cheeks, chin
Highlight: Above cheekbones and temples

Blush: On the cheekbones

longface.jpg
Oblong Face Shape

Contour: Sides of jaw and temples
Highlight: chin, temples and above cheekbones

Blush:On the cheekbone

oblongface.jpg
Pear Face Shape  

Contour: Sides of jaw and neck
Highlight: Centre of nose, centre of cheeks, temples

Blush: At the very side of the cheekbones

pearface.jpg
Square Face Shape Contour: Sides of jaw and temples

Highlight: Centre of nose, centre of cheeks and chin

Blush: On the sides of cheekbones

squareface.jpg

Source: http://www.movingmakeup.co.uk

Originally Posted by cottoncandy thanks, that was very useful! just one question.. whats contour?
icon_redface.gif
The term contour in general just means applying makeup in a way that changes or enhances the shape of your face (which is of course the topic of this article!). Another example of contouring is applying crease colors on your eyes to create a more defined crease and eye shape.
In this article when they say the brown is the contour color, I think they are refering to using a foundation that's just a shade darker than your normal foundation. I've never tried this but have read about it before
biggrin.gif

This was a helpful article though, great detailed pictures!
smile.gif

anytime.
icon_smile.gif

its exactly what jennifer explained.. but sometimes they use either a darker shade of compact powder or a bronzer instead of foundation.

Originally Posted by cottoncandy thanks, that was very useful! just one question.. whats contour?
icon_redface.gif

Thanks alot doll
icon_smile.gif

lol me neither, but i may try it with the bronzer, i think it may work with less noticable results, dont you think?

Originally Posted by girl_geek The term contour in general just means applying makeup in a way that changes or enhances the shape of your face (which is of course the topic of this article!). Another example of contouring is applying crease colors on your eyes to create a more defined crease and eye shape.
In this article when they say the brown is the contour color, I think they are refering to using a foundation that's just a shade darker than your normal foundation. I've never tried this but have read about it before
biggrin.gif

This was a helpful article though, great detailed pictures!
smile.gif

I just saw this thread. I had posted a thread in the makeup forum afew days ago about contouring and this really gives a good visual of it. I'm gonna try the techniques posted for my face shape

..ooh my, thank you for sharing this with the rest of us...I have a round face, the contouring and highlighting will probably help a lot.

that is a great tutorial....I can never figure out my face shape even when I ask other people they give me a different answer all the time. Maybe my face is a mix of shapes?

Originally Posted by rosebeauty34 that is a great tutorial....I can never figure out my face shape even when I ask other people they give me a different answer all the time. Maybe my face is a mix of shapes? me too! some ppl say that i have a chuppy cheeked baby face and some say that i have a skinny girl's face
icon_eek.gif

i always say that my face's shape is really a face shaped
biggrin.gif
dunno if that makes sense to u
tongue.gif

but when it comes to contouring, i always tend to concentrate on my cheek bones, and from ur avater photo i think all u need is just that, cause i dont believe that ur nose or any place else needs anything x

:icon_love

Ladies; im so glad that it really helped :icon_love

Back