Wig Care--Any tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I've recently started wearing wigs for fun (like a little hat with hair), and I was wondering if anyone had anyone tips for wig care and the hair underneath wig. TIA.:icon_bigg

I'm not really good on this topic... but if the hair is synthetic, you might have to get a special cleanser for it so it doesn't get all ratty looking. Your local wig shop might have something. Human hair you can use shampoo, and let it air dry... but for synthetic, you probably either need baby shampoo or something specifically made for it. Then just gently comb it and let it air dry ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I posted this someplace before, but it's worth repeating. I LOVE wigs and hair pieces for fun. Wash the synthetic ones with WOOLITE for delicates and put a tiny bit of FABRIC SOFTENER in the COOL rinse water to keep them soft and tangle free.....also to keep the ends from looking yucky!! Have FUN with them.....don't know what I'd do without mine. I've had some of them for over 15 years and they still look new.

Also, don't wash them too often! That will dry and frizz them...And keep them out of high heat (the sun is OK but a sauna or hot kitchen will fry them...something I learned the hard way!)

What Godfreygirl said: You don't need special wig shampoo, Woolite works great, and fabric softener is FABULOUS to keep wigs silky. Enjoy!

defantly use conditioner on them so they don't get tangled,and make sure you have a wig stand so you can properly take care of the hair,and brush it at least twice a week also.

I work in a Wig Shop, so I can be of help on this topic! Although it seems I have been beaten to the punch because all of the others have posted really great advice. One side note, though, a wig stand is fun to have but not totally essentinal. A hook on the wall is just as effective. And as for your hair underneath just make sure it is clean and dry before wearing the wig. This is especially important for a quick-weave do to the fact that these are extra delicate. If you have any other questions for me don't hesitate to ask.

My stylist also styles wigs. He said Wool lite is great for washing it. I think there is a special hair spray too :kopfkratz: ... best of luck!

Its true, a wig stand isn't necessary. I keep mine in clean shoeboxes, most of them wrapped in the original plastic bag they came in. When I wear one I just shake it out and brush it lightly.

I have so many wigs, and I love them all. I love all the different looks they give me. My current dilemma is: I normally only wear them on weekends but I really want to start wearing them to work. The problem is avoiding the discussion of "Oh, your hair looks great, did you cut it/color it," etc. I actually don't mind people knowing I wear wigs, but I just don't want my hairpieces to become a big deal, or make it seem that I'm trying to call attention to them. I guess I need to be more courageous!

Here are some tips for Wig Care.

·         Comb Them Out

·         Wash your wig once in a week

·         Use Conditioner

·         store them properly

·         Always Keep it Nice

Latest posts

Back