♥ 911 NAIL ISSUE ♥

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello girls! [SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]
I have a huge nail-polish-problem. Whenever I apply one, it gets ruined extremely easily, even after 5 hours! I usually buy nail polishes from Gosh, because I love the colours they sell. I also have a few from M•A•C, but I’m having the same problem. I even apply a top coat, but it’s the same as if I didn’t. Do you know a brand that doesn’t get cuts in the polish after ages? I know that Chanel is a really great brand, since the polishes dries up quickly, and doesn’t get those cuts in it when I write on my laptop, clean up or anything like that. I’ve been wanting to try out these brands, please tell me your opinion, of the following:

• Deborah Lippmann.
• Essie.
• China Glaze.
• OPI.

Any other brands your would suggest?
[SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]

I hear great things about china glaze but it sucks for me ....it wont stay a day on my nails then it literally peels off.....

I love Essie, China Glaze, OPI, etc.  But, even within certain brands, I've had some hit/miss formulations.

I don't seem to have much of a problem with most of my polishes anymore (high end or drug-store brands) and for me, I contribute it to using CND's Stickey basecoat and Seche Vite top coat.  I also make sure to let each coat nearly dry before applying a second (or third) coat and waiting a minute or 2 before applying my final (top) coat.

Base coat:

http://www.amazon.com/Nail-Design-Stickey-Base-0-33Oz/dp/B0002Q8W9I

Top Coat:

http://www.amazon.com/Seche-Vite-Dry-Fast-Coat/dp/B00150LT40/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1333134179&sr=1-1

Originally Posted by Imperfection /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello girls! [SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]
I have a huge nail-polish-problem. Whenever I apply one, it gets ruined extremely easily, even after 5 hours! I usually buy nail polishes from Gosh, because I love the colours they sell. I also have a few from M•A•C, but I’m having the same problem. I even apply a top coat, but it’s the same as if I didn’t. Do you know a brand that doesn’t get cuts in the polish after ages? I know that Chanel is a really great brand, since the polishes dries up quickly, and doesn’t get those cuts in it when I write on my laptop, clean up or anything like that. I’ve been wanting to try out these brands, please tell me your opinion, of the following:

• Deborah Lippmann.
• Essie.
• China Glaze.
• OPI.

Any other brands your would suggest?
[SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]

I second the suggestion of a base coat. My favorites are Barielle Hydrating Ridge Filler and Butter London Foundation Flawless. My favorite top coats are Deborah Lippmann Hard Rock  and Seche Vite. Those will most likely extend your wear for most polishes.

As for the brands you listed, there are hits and misses in every brand, it's up to personal experience. For example, a lot of Essies chip like crazy on me, but I hear great things about their longevity on a regular basis. 

OPI is my absolute favorite for nail polishes; I get more wear out of their shades than any other brand. I agree with everyone else that both a base and top coat should give you more wear with your current shades.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS clean the nail really well, whether with alcohol or polish remover, then a good base coat, then two layers of the color, and two more of a really strong top coat. I like the ones at the beauty supply store that are for gluing on gems. This method always last for a good month and grows out before chipping or cracking, as long as I don't pick or mess with them. Sometimes I even out another coat of top coat on again a few days in to seal where it breaks away from the cuticle. I never bother to do my fingers though.

ETA, I don't have a strong preference for brands, I regularly use OPI, Finger Paints, and China Glaze, but have even used the super cheapies like wet and wild and the forever21 stuff, and as long ans the nail was oil free to begin with, and I used awesome base coat and top coat, the polish itself doens't make a huge difference.

I would suggest doing a complete manicure before you paint your nails.

1. Clean your nails with either acetone or non-acetone nail polish remover depending on if you have natural nails or artificial.
  2. Shape your nails with a nail file.
  3. Wash your nails in a nice soapy bath with a nail brush. Rinse well.
  4. Pat dry then with a buffing file use the coarsest side working your way to the final buff side but do NOT actually buff the nail, leave it rough.
  5. Apply either a normal base coat OR a base coat with fiberglass.
  6. Apply nail polish.
  7. Apply a top coat.

See if that helps.

In most of your answers it sounds like a base and top coat is real important. So I’ll try to find some reviews on those you’ve recommended, and hopefully it’ll help. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky with the ones I tried. Thank you for your answers girls ^_  ^ [SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back