♥ MAKEUP BRANDS ♥

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies! ♥
I’m looking for some new brands of makeup to fill in my dressing table. I live in Denmark and unfortunately we don’t have a looot of the brands the english-speaking countries has. My boyfriend and I might move to London in time though, but who knows. Till then, I could really need your help. Which brands do I just HAVE to check out? Obviously some that has an online store
♥

There are lots of brands out there, but they mostly go by price. Some of the more expensive ones, or "high end", are MAC (maccosmetics.com), Chanel, (chanel.com), Lancome, (lancome-usa.com), Urban Decay (urbandecay.com) and SOOOO many more!!! There are also "drugstore", or "low end" that work just as well are Maybelline New York (maybelline.com), L'Oreal Paris (lorealparisusa.com), Covergirl, (covergirl.com) and again, SOOO many more. If you're looking for brands, it's a matter of personal preference. Some brands don't work for certain people. I do suggest high end if you want  more-impressive seeming collection, but if you're on a budget (especially if you're moving), then low-end are better. You can buy them all online at sephora.com or ulta.com. No advertisement intended!

Urban Decay has been knocking my socks off lately.  I love their 24/7 liners, in both pen and pencil form.  They stay true to color and stay put.  Their eyeshadows have great pigmentation and their palettes are gorgeous.  I saw recently on here someone from Norway selling an unused Alice in Wonderland palette for best offer.  I'd jump on that one but I'm a little afraid of the cost of shipping and I've been pretty crazy in the buying of make up lately, I'm trying to use some of the things I already have.  

As far as lipsticks go, I'm a fan of the 16 hour formulations, they've spoiled me.  I'd love to find a high end one, but so far I can only find them in drugstores, and they work for me so I can get many of them for the same price as one high end lipstick.  Covergirl Outlast, L'Oreal Lipfinity and Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Lip Color are my favorites.  The ones that have one side of color, a doe foot applicator in the color, you apply it to your lips and after it dries in about a minute you put on the clear lip balm.  These lipsticks last through everything, eating, drinking, dancing all night and then you can even wake up with bright red lips in the morning with no smudging on your pillow if you forget to take it off.  These lipsticks work so well that I almost can't use traditional lipstick anymore because I forget about reapplying it and assume I have lipstick on when it's really come off and sometimes left a dark ring around the edges of my lips but no color inside.  I find that the lip stains by the same brands don't work as well, nor the lip glosses, just the traditional color/balm combo is the best bet for me.  These are beauty lifechangers for me, you can look as good at 5 as you did putting it on at 8.  Use the Urban Decay 24/7 liners, Eyeshadow Primer Potion and Eyeshadows and you're good to go.  That's my usual routine, anyway, for what it's worth.  I also love Nars blush, that finishes the face for me. My foundation is Make Up For Ever's High Definition foundation.  Ooh, and any beauty tube mascara, L'Oreal's Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara is my holy grail mascara, gives extra length and definition with volume and doesn't flake off.  Also a drugstore buy, although I hear that Too Faced just released a beauty tubes mascara that I've yet to try.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

13Bluestar97: Well, I don’t really care about the price or name of the brand – as long as the quality is good ^_   ^ All the links you sent me seems to be American though, and most online shops from there doesn’t ship to Denmark – and those who does, take so so so much for shipping to here. Such a shame, ‘cause I LOVE a lot of the brands that only America has ; _   ; ♥

sweetiegirlll: It is so difficult to find stores who ships Urban Decay products to Denmark. But I actually found one that sells the 24/7 liners. They seem great, so they went right to my wishlist! Which lipsticks is it that lasts through everything? I really need one of those. I hate when I go out to eat or anything like that, wearing lipstick. It’s gone right afterwards! ♥

Thank you so much for your great answers girls. I haven’t tried out Urban Decay, Covergirl, ulta, Sephora, Lime Crime and brands like that. So I really have no idea about what quality they are. Are they the like Maybelline, Gosh or worse/better?

Urban Decay is more high end and expensive, but it's my go to and when you have an amazing eyeliner you end up using it every day so it's definitely worth it.  The Covergirl Outlast (with the balm and not the gloss, it's a two part, the color and then the balm that goes over it, I just apply it once and it's fine for me all day) is very similar in price and style to the Maybelline counterpart, which I also love, the Maybelline SuperStay 24 hour lip color.  They're about $7 - $10 in the U.S. and last quite a while.  Especially since you don't have to touch them up during the day.  You don't have to reapply after eating, I hate it when my lipstick disappears.  I find that I end up using the more muted shades if it's a work/day type event, because the color stays exactly true all day and if you put on a cherry red in the morning, it'll be cherry red in the evening and I was used to the reds blotting and becoming a bit more subtle after a bit of wear.  You can also mix a little bit, the formulations dry quickly so you have to be fast, but I love putting on a great, bright red and then adding a bit of a brownish, brick color to deepen and tone down the color.  Then I just rub my lips together and use the deeper color to even it out and it tends to work great, that way you can design your own hues that work best for your skintone.  They do have a pretty large selection, though.  I'd look for anything that says 16 hour, 24 hour, long lasting, that's not a stain or a gloss and that comes with an attached clear balm, any brand that you find that has that formulation is worth a try.  They may have brands that do that in Denmark that I'm not familiar with.

Urban Decay is going to be pricey, but it works, and Cover Girl is more economical but still works better than anything else I've tried too, as far as lipsticks go.  Usually anything under $10ish U.S. is a drugstore brand makeup line, although they've been going up to around $12 - $15 in some cases.  Higher than that is a boutique brand or a luxury brand, types of things that are found in department stores and Sephora.com.  I find that my favorites are a mix of high end and drugstore brands.  I like to try new brands by buying gift sets or palettes, then you can usually try a few of their products at a lower price, this is especially true around the holidays.  You could also try Ebay, many sellers there ship internationally, hopefully for not too, too much, but you're right, shipping can be high.  Would it be easier to try some British brands, could they send them to you easier and cheaper?  Or buy through Sephora.com's French site?

Originally Posted by Imperfection /img/forum/go_quote.gif

13Bluestar97: Well, I don’t really care about the price or name of the brand – as long as the quality is good ^_   ^ All the links you sent me seems to be American though, and most online shops from there doesn’t ship to Denmark – and those who does, take so so so much for shipping to here. Such a shame, ‘cause I LOVE a lot of the brands that only America has ; _   ; ♥

sweetiegirlll: It is so difficult to find stores who ships Urban Decay products to Denmark. But I actually found one that sells the 24/7 liners. They seem great, so they went right to my wishlist! Which lipsticks is it that lasts through everything? I really need one of those. I hate when I go out to eat or anything like that, wearing lipstick. It’s gone right afterwards! ♥

Thank you so much for your great answers girls. I haven’t tried out Urban Decay, Covergirl, ulta, Sephora, Lime Crime and brands like that. So I really have no idea about what quality they are. Are they the like Maybelline, Gosh or worse/better?

Lately, there has been more than one Stila product that I'm DYING for. I definitely recommend them for eyeshadows, eyeliners, and lipgloss. Also, I find their eyeshadow primer to be one of the best, even better than Urban Decay's, if you're familiar with it. 

Sweetiegirlll: I’ll definitely try out those two you recommend. Thank you, you made it so much easier for me to know which brands are luxury brands and which ones are drugstore brands! Yes, it is both easier and cheaper to buy from England – I do it when I have the opportunity. Unfortunately America has some real interesting brands, which I can only get from there ; _   ; Sephora has a French site I can buy from? [SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]

femmefille: I did hear about Urban Decay’s primer yes, and the Stila one seems to be better? Hmm… I should try that one out as well then. What is it called? I actually started looking for a good primer a few days ago, so thank you for your perfect timing xD [SIZE=8.5pt]♥[/SIZE]

Also, are the BHcosmetics and Coastel Scents palettes any good? [SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]

Maybe you can find some stuff off of Amazon? You can pretty much find any brand on there but I'm not sure about shipping. :X  

I've heard that the BHcosmetics and the Coastel Scents pallets are good but if you're debating on which one to get I've heard that both of the pallets have the exact same eyeshadows anyways. 

RawrzErica:Yes maybe I could do that! As far as I know some does ship internationally. I don't remember if it was on Ebay or Amazong though. What's the difference of those two anyway? And the palettes does look similar, so you are probably right about that.

Latest posts

Back