10 Beauty Sins

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beauty Sins: What Not to Do

In beauty as in life, sinful deeds get done. But unlike life, when we might act on a wicked impulse with the most atrocious results, beauty sins are much easier to correct. Here are 10 beauty sins, from the innocently bungling to the outright jarring. Think of them as gentle -- and not so gentle -- reminders of what not to do. Ever.

Reprehensibly Dark Lip Liner

If friends are asking you how you enjoyed your hot cocoa and you didn't have hot cocoa, you're probably wearing lip liner that's too dark. Stop it. You look silly. Go find a lip pencil that matches your lip color.

Scandalously Sleeping with Your Makeup

Don't cheat on your face. Because your skin is rich in its own natural oils, gets coated with a daily blend of environmental debris and suffocates under makeup, you've got to wash your face every night or your pores will suffer.

Shamefully Trying to Hide Your Skin Color

Sorry, but you won't look like you have a honeyed and sultry tan if your foundation's too dark -- you'll just look dirty. And you won't appear porcelain skinned if your foundation is too light -- you'll just look like a ghoul. So gals, please, choose your foundation in good, clear light and blend it onto your skin carefully.

Appallingly Squeezing Your Zits

Bicoastal dermatologist Karyn Grossman explains that picking pimples not only pushes the bad stuff out of your skin, it also pushes it in deeper, resulting in prolonged redness and increased risk of scarring. She recommends using one-percent hydrocortisone on a pimple three times a day for up to five days to decrease inflammation.

Dreadfully Dramatic Contouring

Using deep contour shades to give the illusion of a sculpted nose or a sharper cheekbone looks divine on the pages of fashion magazines where choreographed lighting diffuses the gradations of tone. But in real life, you've got to blend those contour shades to near invisibility. That or look like a human outline.

Dishonorable Lack of Consideration for Brow Color

The most flattering brow color is a shade lighter or a shade and a half lighter than the darkest part of your hair. Don't go more extreme than that. If your hair is blonde and your brows are midnight black, you'll look like you've divided your features in two.

The Immorality of Spidery Lashes

Eyelashes are a fine and delicate feature, so honor them as such by using mascara only to subtly enhance. If your impulse is to over-apply, you're going to have to teach yourself to hold back. Spidery, clumped-up, wild-looking lashes are only attractive to other spiders.

Reckless Vibrancy

If you fancy vibrant cheeks, keep your lips understated. If, on the other hand, you're aching for vivacious lips, cool it with the blush. It's the difference between appearing sophisticated and clownish.

Scandalous Dapples

Trying to blend cream makeup over a powdered face is like trying to mix honey into your iced tea. It doesn't work. Instead, you'll look as though you dappled sticky bits of glue across your face. If you use cream foundations and concealers, start with those and finish with powder if needed.

Shameful Public Application

As I always say, there's only one situation in which applying makeup in public is okay -- as performance art. If you don't have dreams of being on the stage, don't do it. It's in bad taste, it's tacky and you'll look dumb!

I found this on MSN today, thought it was good reading ~ when you click onto any of the highlighted areas in the article, (a sponser ad pops up first, just "x" that out, and you can read the info behind it)

We probably all know the "sins" but as you know, there are those "certain few" who tend to forget....lol
wink.gif

Interesting post! Esp like the points about hiding your skin color and picking at zits.

icon_redface.gif
I'm so bad. I'm guilty of about half of those things on occassion. Just this morning I spent too much time reapplying lipgloss at the table after breakfast. And I've debated for years about whether or not I should do something about the color of my brows. At least I have the right color foundation and I wash my make up off at night!

Originally Posted by K*O* Beauty Sins: What Not to Do
In beauty as in life, sinful deeds get done. But unlike life, when we might act on a wicked impulse with the most atrocious results, beauty sins are much easier to correct. Here are 10 beauty sins, from the innocently bungling to the outright jarring. Think of them as gentle -- and not so gentle -- reminders of what not to do. Ever.

Charms, I wasn't sure if I had seen this once before too....but what the hell! Never hurts to re-inforce....lol

Originally Posted by Charmaine I feel like I've seen this somewhere before...great post though!

Ang, you're welcome.....

Originally Posted by Anya1976 thanks for postin!!!

Karen, thanks for posting. I love the dark lipliner and sleeping with the mu on part. Also I should tell my hubby about playing with zits!!!!

Originally Posted by K*O* Beauty Sins: What Not to Do

Reprehensibly Dark Lip Liner

If friends are asking you how you enjoyed your hot cocoa and you didn't have hot cocoa, you're probably wearing lip liner that's too dark. Stop it. You look silly. Go find a lip pencil that matches your lip color.

Scandalously Sleeping with Your Makeup

Don't cheat on your face. Because your skin is rich in its own natural oils, gets coated with a daily blend of environmental debris and suffocates under makeup, you've got to wash your face every night or your pores will suffer.

Shamefully Trying to Hide Your Skin Color

Sorry, but you won't look like you have a honeyed and sultry tan if your foundation's too dark -- you'll just look dirty. And you won't appear porcelain skinned if your foundation is too light -- you'll just look like a ghoul. So gals, please, choose your foundation in good, clear light and blend it onto your skin carefully.

Appallingly Squeezing Your Zits

Bicoastal dermatologist Karyn Grossman explains that picking pimples not only pushes the bad stuff out of your skin, it also pushes it in deeper, resulting in prolonged redness and increased risk of scarring. She recommends using one-percent hydrocortisone on a pimple three times a day for up to five days to decrease inflammation.

Dreadfully Dramatic Contouring

Using deep contour shades to give the illusion of a sculpted nose or a sharper cheekbone looks divine on the pages of fashion magazines where choreographed lighting diffuses the gradations of tone. But in real life, you've got to blend those contour shades to near invisibility. That or look like a human outline.

Dishonorable Lack of Consideration for Brow Color

The most flattering brow color is a shade lighter or a shade and a half lighter than the darkest part of your hair. Don't go more extreme than that. If your hair is blonde and your brows are midnight black, you'll look like you've divided your features in two.

The Immorality of Spidery Lashes

Eyelashes are a fine and delicate feature, so honor them as such by using mascara only to subtly enhance. If your impulse is to over-apply, you're going to have to teach yourself to hold back. Spidery, clumped-up, wild-looking lashes are only attractive to other spiders.

Reckless Vibrancy

If you fancy vibrant cheeks, keep your lips understated. If, on the other hand, you're aching for vivacious lips, cool it with the blush. It's the difference between appearing sophisticated and clownish.

Scandalous Dapples

Trying to blend cream makeup over a powdered face is like trying to mix honey into your iced tea. It doesn't work. Instead, you'll look as though you dappled sticky bits of glue across your face. If you use cream foundations and concealers, start with those and finish with powder if needed.

Shameful Public Application

As I always say, there's only one situation in which applying makeup in public is okay -- as performance art. If you don't have dreams of being on the stage, don't do it. It's in bad taste, it's tacky and you'll look dumb!

I found this on MSN today, thought it was good reading ~ when you click onto any of the highlighted areas in the article, (a sponser ad pops up first, just "x" that out, and you can read the info behind it)

We probably all know the "sins" but as you know, there are those "certain few" who tend to forget....lol
wink.gif

Laughing my head off!!! I must be guilty of a few of those skin sins! lol

Firstly i am terrible for putting on heavy foundation especially if my skin is bad and to cover spots. I love wearing dramatic lip liner (terrible i know) and i always load on mascara. I used to wear my makeup even more heavily than that and have learned to tone it down over the years,even though i still wear a lot of makeup.If i am absolutely honest i loved to experiment with contouring as well and am a massive fan of bronzer.
wink.gif

Oh and i am always checking my makeup in the mirror and putting more makeup on, especially after a few drinks (wink wink). Now i try to remeber less is actually more.

Latest posts

Back