13 year old, new to the magic of make up.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Katherine, and I'm 13 years old. I just got into makeup in around September. I need help, I have big brown eyes and everyday I wear mascara and eyeliner. I need some everyday make up to make me look pretty, but not make me look fake. Can you professionals (or close to professionals) Give me some advice
smile.gif
, thanks. Also, I would like it to tie in with my personality and style... I'm often compared to Ashlee Simpson or Avril or Amy Lee because of my style..I don't know if that helped enough. But yea
smile.gif
Yea so any suggestions or advice??

Hey Katherine! Welcome to MakeupTalk! I'm Janelle, from NY - nice to meet ya!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
TrishA's got some really good ideas! You might also like MAC's Retrospeck or Jest eyeshadows and I like CoverGirl Lipslicks lipgloss... they are so smooth and nice!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

HI Katherine! Glad you could swing by! Thanks for joining up!

Welcome

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood

Hi, my name is Katherine, and I'm 13 years old. I just got into makeup in around September. I need help, I have big brown eyes and everyday I wear mascara and eyeliner. I need some everyday make up to make me look pretty, but not make me look fake. Can you professionals (or close to professionals) Give me some advice
smile.gif
, thanks. Also, I would like it to tie in with my personality and style... I'm often compared to Ashlee Simpson or Avril or Amy Lee because of my style..I don't know if that helped enough. But yea
smile.gif

Hi Katherine! Welcome to MuT!
icon_biggrin.gif

Since you listed celebrities that have a heavy/dark eye look, then my best suggestion would be to be very careful with foundation/powder/blush and other colors on the face. Their looks are focused on dramatic eyes, but their skin is kept clean and radiant. Keep the rest of your face very simple, use neutral colors that resemble fleshtones and go sheer with foundation. Best bet is a tinted moisturizer or something like Revlon's Skinlights Face Illuminator Lotion, mixed in with some oil-free moisturizer (or even the tinted moisturizer) for sheer radiance. Neutrogena just came out with a tinted moisturizer with salicylic acid to even the complexion and help battle clogged pores. Maybe this could work for you!

Use a concealer only on areas that need covering, instead of using a foundation all over the face.
icon_exclaim.gif
Apply with a q-tip or concealer brush and pat to blend.

A dusting of translucent powder with a brush to set the look is okay, as long as you keep a light hand. Too much powder can look cakey and it's not flattering whatever the wearer's age. Use blotting papers like Clean and Clear throughout the day to absorb excess shine and use touchup powder as little as possible to keep your skin looking natural. A full face of foundation paired with strong eyes can look out of date pretty quickly!
wink.gif

Now that you're wearing makeup, you have to take special care in washing your face. Makeup residue can lead to clogged pores. Best habit is to use a foaming or lathering cleanser, warm (NOT hot) water and lather your face for at least 30 seconds. Count if you have to. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.

I wish when I was 13, somebody would have given me some advice!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

As Kitty said it, if you are having the dramatic eye look, keep the rest of your face simple and neutral. If you are using fluid make up at all, don't use much if it!!!! make sure your makeup matches your skin tone, and is not darker. It is even better to use a little lighter tone, and dust your face with a bronzer. I would actually recomend mineral or powder make up or none at all, but I know that many young girls love fluid makeup.
icon_smile.gif

For your eyes, in case you haven't done it yet, q-tips are very helpfull for correcting and smudging. I know I could never get a clean straight line on my eyes! Hey, I still can't!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Also, don't make a big fat line on your eyes. Really thin one that gets thicker toward the outside of the eye looks much more natural. I would also recommend using a primer on your eyes, so it doesn't smudge so much. if you ever want to try a somewhat softer darker eyes, try applying dark eyeshadow with a brush as a liner. I have brown/hazel eyes, and I think that a taupe type color brings out my eyes very nicely.

If your mascara clumps a lot, a little comb for lashes (or however you call them) could help you seperate the lashes, and give you a much more professional and clean look.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the world of makeup and MUT! (please disregard our Sex forum)
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Welcome Katherine! I have to agree with the girls on this one. Being your age is 13 I definitly wouldn't go too dark. I use Bare Escentuals loose powder for my foundation, it's light and makes it seems like your not wearing any. Less is more most often then not.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Hi, my name is Katherine, and I'm 13 years old. I just got into makeup in around September. I need help, I have big brown eyes and everyday I wear mascara and eyeliner. I need some everyday make up to make me look pretty, but not make me look fake. Can you professionals (or close to professionals) Give me some advice
smile.gif
smile.gif

Hey and welcome. I've been wearing, rather experimenting
smile.gif
, with makeup since I was about 9 years old. I'm now 19. I'm not an expert, but I'm close enough to one. I'm a really big makeup addict, and I'm constantly buying new stuff. I have through trial and error tried every makeup brand in the drugstore for the most part. Everyone loves how I do makeup and in the future, after I graduate with my BA in Fashion Design I'm going to go to school to be a makeup artist. I'm always doing my friends makeup too. So I would say I'm professional enough to help you out. I would try the following:

Here I'm going to give you some ideas of what to wear to get that star "that you are compared to" look and some other ideas as well.

To get your star like look to match your style, I would use the following:

Keeping in mind I don't know your haircolor.

Neutral eyeshadow looks good on everyone, but if you have both brown hair and brown eyes it could kind of camoflauge you.

For thatAvril look I would try something like a forest green eyeshadow to really bring out your eyes. I recommend Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Mildew. It's not too green, It's just a nice dark green with shimmer that would really bring out your eyes.

Then I would try a barely there blush, like Jane Blushing Cheeks in Blushing_________.

Once you go to the store you will probably see which one i'm talking about, I just forgot the name of it.

With all of this I would do natural lips with a hint of color and shimmer. I recommend Revlon Super Lustrous lipgloss in Pink Afterglow.

For everyday wear here is what I would recommend.

Pink eyeshadow. Pink eyeshadow really brings out brown eyes. I recommend Max Factor eyeshadow in leading lady pink. Or you could try the Revlon wet/dry eyeshadow quad in Violet Haze. This quad includes a really nice pink along with three shades of purple, all which would help bring out your eyes.

Then I would try Jane Blushing Cheeks in Blushing Plum

Now Go for a gloss like Cover Girl Wetslicks lipgloss in Pink Sequin.

Hope all of this helped you out. Post your comments back. Let us know if you tryed any of our suggestions. We are really open on this makeup board
smile.gif
We love to hear back from people. You better watch out because this website can become very addicting!

Just wanna give everyone a huge pat on the back here! Great advice girls. Gonna take some of this myself!

Welcome to MuT Katherine
biggrin.gif

Hi Katherine,

My advice is to try absolutely everything. Being a teenager is the time to experiment with make up and try all the extreme looks that you want. When you're a teenager you can use make-up to totally change the way you look and who you are. As you get older you can get a bit scared and get stuck in a "natural-look" rut. Play with make-up, have fun.

P.S. (serious tip) if you want to go for the dark eye look don't jump straight to the black shadow, start off with dark grey, or dark brown. They're both a bit more forgiving until you get used to how to apply it. I still make a mess if I use black eye shadow.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Thanks alot for all the advice
biggrin.gif
I love you
biggrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_smile.gif
Let us know how it turns out Katherine! And post pics too if you can so we can see!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back