$20 makeup challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a challenge going on among the beauty gurus and others to do a complete makeup look for $20 or less.  The challenge states that you have to account the price for everything used (including tools).  There are a bunch of videos on YouTube with this challenge and some individuals have even posted on their blogs.  Of course there is a lot of E.L.F. products being used, but what brands would you use to do a complete makeup look for this amount?  What brands for those outside of the U.S. would you use?  I'm just curious because it seems like a neat idea.

Here in the states, I'd use Wet N Wild, ELF, NYC, etc.  Overseas, I know Sleek, No 7 & Models Own are all affordable, and they do have ELF as well, but it's slightly more expensive because of the conversion rate.

I have actually been thinking of doing this tag. There are some good cheapy brands out there now.

I'm interested to see what people come up with...is it based on full retail value, or what you can get for less than $20? Cause I can do a full revlon and maybelline look for less than that with coupons. 

@bethbr00tality  I've never heard of Sleek or Models Own. I will have to look those brands up.

@internetchick I think it would be great if you did it!  I would love to see your vid or blog post on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Playedinloops I saw one video where someone stated they used coupons to get their items.  I didn't see anything that stated you couldn't use coupons, although there were some stating a scenario of your luggage was lost and now all you have is $20 to spend on makeup.  So I'm not sure.  I would still be interested in what you come up with (coupons or not) 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by brandyboop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@bethbr00tality  I've never heard of Sleek or Models Own. I will have to look those brands up.

@internetchick I think it would be great if you did it!  I would love to see your vid or blog post on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Playedinloops I saw one video where someone stated they used coupons to get their items.  I didn't see anything that stated you couldn't use coupons, although there were some stating a scenario of your luggage was lost and now all you have is $20 to spend on makeup.  So I'm not sure.  I would still be interested in what you come up with (coupons or not) 
biggrin.gif
lol having lived the night mare of lost luggage and therefore no make up in a country where I did not speak the language, I think I'll sit this one out haha. It took a weekend trip to Rome (a 12 hour train ride from where I was) and a whole lot of Euros at Sephora to make that a surviveable summer. 

I never stopped to think about how much my daily makeup look costs.. here's mine:

8 Ecotools eyeshadow brushes 20 UD palette 35 Too Faced palette 16 Skin79 BB cream 15 Clinique brow powder 3 ELF studio cheek brush 24 The Balm highlighter 3 Target eyeliner brush 22 Tarte clay liner 10 lip gloss $138 TOTAL
Yikes, that's not even that much product.. I guess if I do nothing but a drugstore eyeshadow and ELF brushes I could squeeze by under $20--and maaybe a drugstore foundation.

Just curious, in the US can you find Sleek products anywhere else than their site? I really want to try their blushes, but they're always OOS :/

Mine is at:

$5 (EDM super kit  - 12 for $60)                           - mineral foundation

$2 (includes 2 refills)                                              - brow pencil

$2 (50% off sale, price includes shipping)           - ELF gel liner

$8                                                                              - Monistat gel (primer)

$7 (on sale)                                                              - Revlon Colorstay lip colour

$0 (free using Shoppers DM optimum pts)          - Benefit Hervana blush

$7.50 (buy 1 get 1 free - reg $15)                          - Maybelline Pulse Perfection mascara

$4.50 (50% off)                                                        - Coastalscents bionic flattop brush

$1                                                                              - ELF blush brush

$1                                                                              - liner brush

= $38

I seldom wear eyeshadows and when I do, it was something I made.  I figure it costs about $0.50 per container of eyeshadow.  $38 is the cost of products I use everyday. 

Oh gosh. if I'm going to add my normal daily, without coupons or sale prices:

Urban decay primer $30

Dr. Jart bb cream $38

Revlon photofinish finishing powder $12ish

Beauty blender $25

Blush depending on blush, usually around $20-30

Urban decay primer potion $20

Urban decay naked palette $50

Urban decay liner $18

too faced lava gloss liner $16

Dior eyelash plumping primer $28

Maybelline illegal lengths mascara $7ish?

Diorshow extase mascara $28

Revlon lip butter or tarte lip surgence 8ish? or 24

=$280 on the low end

And that is without skincare. :

hahh, ok.  I'm going to do this tag today & I'll link to it if I'm allowed to (?), but for the sake of contrast (& I'm taking these prices from the brands' websites; all values USD):

My Average Daily FOTD Cost:
34$ Philosophy Take a Deep Breath Gel Hydrator

52$ Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer OR I've also been trying the Murad Hybrids Matte Primer but.  Usually it's Hourglass.

24$ Beauty Without Cruelty Ultimate Liquid Foundation in Fair
17$ MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC20

06$ ELF HD Powder

29$ Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer in Original Chocolate

28$ NARS blush in Gaity

18$ Too Faced Shadow Insurance

01$ ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen (eyebrows; this varies depending on what's handy)

48$ UD Naked Palette (this obviously varies, haha, going for an average use product; purchased before it was $50)

19$ UD 24/7 Glide On Pencil in Zero

19$ Tarte Gifted Mascara

24$ NARS gloss or lip pencil

===

$319 Total

Almost $300 over limit, haha.  This should be interesting because I used to strickly be a bargain shopper for makeup (and still am, though working in cosmetics allows me access to a higher end bargain, lol) and still have a lot of my cheaper stuff for this.

Collection 2000

Gosh

Sleek

Maybelline

Wet n Wild

NYX

NYC

NO 7

Bourjois

Natural Collection

Revlon for foundation, Wet n Wild eyeshadow/eyepencils and lipstick/gloss, ELF for tools and maybe blush...

Latest posts

Back