24 ways to look great in photographs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is from the Weightwatchers website:

Make your face look thinner

• Titling your face at a slight angle will make it look thinner.
  • If you have a large nose - lift your chin slightly.
  • If your neck is less than perfect, try craning your neck forward.
  • Experiment with looks other than the full on cheesy grin. Try a Mona Lisa-like hint of a smile, cheeky arched eyebrows look, or even a wink. It will add movement and personality to your face and make you appear less static.
  • Keep your chin tilted slightly up.
  • Swallowing makes your neck look longer and more graceful.
  • Look into the camera but don't stare.
  • Take your glasses off to avoid glare and reflections from the flash.
  • Putting your hair up and wearing long earrings will give the appearance of a longer neck.
  • And, if you've been caught at a 'I must really wash my hair' moment, pull it back and top it off with a pair of sunglasses resting on top of your head for that just-got-off-the beach look.
Make your body look slimmer
  • Face the camera side on to minimise your stomach (pulling in those muscles at the same time!).
  • One shoulder pointing forward will show off your figure to its best advantage.
  • If you are sitting cross your legs at your ankles. Your thighs and calves will look slimmer.
  • If (for some strange reason) you know your bum is going to be in the photo, tense and lift it for a few moments, but remember to keep your face looking natural at the same time!
  • If you know you are going to be photographed – fake a tan!
  • If at all possible, stand rather than sit.
For a planned photoThis gives you the opportunity to plan a little in advance.

• Wearing dark colours, especially on areas you are less than happy with, can help slim and hide them.
  • Avoid anything too stark and dark next to your face (black, navy blues, browns, and dark greens for instance) as this will drag light away from your face, making you look washed out - and doing nothing to hide any less than perfect skin.
  • Yellow is rarely a flattering colour.
  • Jewellery reflects the light and adds colour and interest.
  • Choose something bright and colourful (but not too patterned or busy) that will reflect light onto your face.
  • Don't experiment with new make-up or hair just before you know you're going to have your photo taken.
  • Make up should be light – tinted moisturiser is a great choice for glowing summer skin.
  • Avoid having your photo taken in bright or direct sunlight, as this will throw shadows on your face. Late afternoon and early evening is the best time to get posing.

Thank you for the tips! Now only if I wouldn't blink when the flash goes off lol

This is a great post! We need all the help we can get, as most of us in this world aren't naturally photogenic! I've always wondered why I see some pics of myself, and I look like a troll...then in other pictures I look great. Us magazine did an article once about how powerful the right pose can be. They printed 2 pictures of celebrities, one was taken when they weren't quite ready and the other was a few seconds laater when they had gotten into their pose. What a difference! Even the wealthy and beautiful need their little tricks...
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam This is a great post! We need all the help we can get, as most of us in this world aren't naturally photogenic! I've always wondered why I see some pics of myself, and I look like a troll...then in other pictures I look great. Us magazine did an article once about how powerful the right pose can be. They printed 2 pictures of celebrities, one was taken when they weren't quite ready and the other was a few seconds laater when they had gotten into their pose. What a difference! Even the wealthy and beautiful need their little tricks...
icon_biggrin.gif
I totally know what you mean. it´s all about the pose and from what side you are being fotographed. for example I avoid to have pics taken from the right side of my face cause my nose looks weird from that side and I have a mole next to my right eyebrow which I don´t like
icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Swallowing makes your neck look longer and more graceful. interesting. I have a short neck. I will try this. thanks for posing

I found that I actaully have a "good side". I try and get photographed from my left side.
cam.gif
I always get the WORST red eye in digital cams for some reason. Maybe my contacts are to blame.

Originally Posted by Andi I totally know what you mean. it´s all about the pose and from what side you are being fotographed. for example I avoid to have pics taken from the right side of my face cause my nose looks weird from that side and I have a mole next to my right eyebrow which I don´t like
icon_wink.gif
Haha, I thought I was the only one who avoided having pictures taken of one side of my face! For me, I like the way the left side looks. All my friends laugh at me because I always make sure to turn my head when the camera is around.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer
  • Experiment with looks other than the full on cheesy grin. Try a Mona Lisa-like hint of a smile, cheeky arched eyebrows look, or even a wink. It will add movement and personality to your face and make you appear less static.
I soooo need to work on this!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Jen!

Some very good tips and I can use some as I'm not very photogenic. Though being an ectomorph I don't want tolook any thinner
smile.gif

Yay! Great tips Jen! Thanks for posting those! The third one on making the face look thinner definitely works! Remember my "Fat-Face Syndrome" thread? LOL!!!

Latest posts

Back