A little advice please.....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay ladies I need a little advice. We just moved into a new home about two weeks ago. The second night that we spent in our new house, my daughter had woken me up in the middle of the night because she wanted some milk. I got up and she and I walked through the dining room (which didn't have any curtains or blinds at the time) into the kitchen (which also had no window covering). As I walked through the dining room I looked outside and thought that I saw a figure standing out by the tree in our backyard. I dismissed the thought and just figured I wasn't quite awake. So I got the milk, put her in bed, and went to the restroom (sure you wanted to know that huh?). As I was in the restroom I heard a LOUD tapping on what sounded like a window.
eek.gif
You know the sound of someone tapping on glass when you hear it. So being scared sh**less I went into our room and climbed in bed and woke my husband up. He went in my son's room and looked into the backyard out of his window. He saw nothing and went into the dining room. Still saw nothing. So after lying in bed wide-eyed all night, morning finally came. My husband was getting ready for work and I told him about what happened and he said, "You know I had a dream that someone was tapping on the window really loud"!!! Which kind of scared him. Okay so my conclusion is that he heard the sound and it just kind of blended into his dream. So my problem is that now I can't sleep at all!!! The thought that someone was standing there watching me as I walked through the house just creeped the hell out of me! I just lay awake ALL night until I finally pass out!
icon_sad.gif
I thought about taking sleeping pills but that kind of scares me. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Originally Posted by tashbash

Okay ladies I need a little advice. We just moved into a new home about two weeks ago. The second night that we spent in our new house, my daughter had woken me up in the middle of the night because she wanted some milk. I got up and she and I walked through the dining room (which didn't have any curtains or blinds at the time) into the kitchen (which also had no window covering). As I walked through the dining room I looked outside and thought that I saw a figure standing out by the tree in our backyard. I dismissed the thought and just figured I wasn't quite awake. So I got the milk, put her in bed, and went to the restroom (sure you wanted to know that huh?). As I was in the restroom I heard a LOUD tapping on what sounded like a window.
eek.gif
You know the sound of someone tapping on glass when you hear it. So being scared sh**less I went into our room and climbed in bed and woke my husband up. He went in my son's room and looked into the backyard out of his window. He saw nothing and went into the dining room. Still saw nothing. So after lying in bed wide-eyed all night, morning finally came. My husband was getting ready for work and I told him about what happened and he said, "You know I had a dream that someone was tapping on the window really loud"!!! Which kind of scared him. Okay so my conclusion is that he heard the sound and it just kind of blended into his dream. So my problem is that now I can't sleep at all!!! The thought that someone was standing there watching me as I walked through the house just creeped the hell out of me! I just lay awake ALL night until I finally pass out!
icon_sad.gif
I thought about taking sleeping pills but that kind of scares me. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Wow that is pretty scary. I would have taken my 9mm out the back door and stood there with me and said..."hello....lilsten to this sound, it's me chambering a round in my GUN, CLICK"

That's VERY scary.
icon_eek.gif
How about installing some of those motion sensored flood lights around the outside of your home? They will turn on immediately if anyone walks by. Also, even if you don't have a dog, you could put up signs "beware of the dog" - just as a deterrent, you know? The most drastic idea would be to install closed circuit TV cameras, but that can be very costly.

Originally Posted by Charmaine

LOL Tony, I could totally see you doing that!
But Tashbash, I even got creeped out just reading your experience...I think there really might've been someone out there. I'm sure you've already decided to buy curtains and all kinds of coverings. We got broken in a while ago and after that my parents decided to have a security system installed. It makes me feel so much better just to know that it's there. Anyway, how late do you go to bed anyway? If that were me I would try to go to sleep before my husband - I would feel safer somehow. Have you talked to your husband about it? His protective instinct will definitely come through and I'm sure he'll have some suggestions on how you can feel safer and how to protect your family.

LOL, I read this to Reija and she asked me what this "chambering a round" sound was. So, I went and got one of my guns and let her listen to it. She was like "WHOA!"

WOW! That's scary!

I would at the very least install some motion sensitive lights around the house.

They also have these motion sensor alarms that you can put around the doors and windows. I think they run on battery or something and they are pretty cheap. I think you can get them at any Sears or Home Depot type place. They make a siren type noise if something crosses them.

Stay Safe!

Go to your local police station and file a report. They can do drive bys and such. Plus, if it happens again you can really stick it to the SOB because there will be multiple charges - 2 or more counts of criminal trespassing, stalking, etc. Meanwhile I'd get a louisville. Good luck!

Call the Cops !!!!

Originally Posted by tashbash Okay ladies I need a little advice. We just moved into a new home about two weeks ago. The second night that we spent in our new house, my daughter had woken me up in the middle of the night because she wanted some milk. I got up and she and I walked through the dining room (which didn't have any curtains or blinds at the time) into the kitchen (which also had no window covering). As I walked through the dining room I looked outside and thought that I saw a figure standing out by the tree in our backyard. I dismissed the thought and just figured I wasn't quite awake. So I got the milk, put her in bed, and went to the restroom (sure you wanted to know that huh?). As I was in the restroom I heard a LOUD tapping on what sounded like a window.
eek.gif
icon_sad.gif

Yea I didn't think about the motion sensor lights. And Charmaine, like last night my husband was exhausted and fell asleep right after the kids and I was wide-eyed ALL NIGHT LONG!!! And of course every little sound freaked me out! I know, I'm a scaredy cat!

No wonder you were scared! Poor you, you must have got a fright.((hugs)) Just make sure hubby locks the house up safe and sound and remember you're not alone in the house.I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight
wink.gif
....keep us posted...

Also, try getting to know the neighbors... Know who's supposed to be around and who's out of place... and if your neighbors get to know you, they're more likely to look out for you if something strange goes down...

oh, wow. i got freaked out by reading your post, too! i'd go with some sort of security, like light sensors or something like that. no matter how expensive, wouldn't you rather have that than have your family in danger?

it IS very terrifying and i think you should 1. report it and 2. install some sort of system.

did you mention it to your daughter, like make it obvious?

no I didn't say anything to my daughter. She's almost four and this is the first time her and her brother aren't sharing a room so she is already having trouble getting to sleep at night. I think that is another reason I can't seem to fall asleep is because I am afraid if something did happen, I wouldn't hear it. Our room is at the end of the hall and so someone would get to their rooms first.

Your post brings back memories. When my parents and I first moved into our house,we had no window coverings on the first floor the first week and I was so afraid of going downstairs at night. I would scare myself more as I thought about it. My mom and I are such chickens when it comes to the dark. We had my dad install sensored lights around the side yards and backyard and then installed a security system that monitors everything.

The sensored lights are great, they sense any motion that takes place. And if money is an issue, since you just bought a house, I believe someone mentioned the alarms you can get at Home Depot, Lowes or any other hardware store, would be a good option and they are very affordable. At our apartment in the city, we have the battery-powered alarm on the door and windows and when they go off, watch out, that sound is deafening.

Congrats on the new house and try not to worry. If anything, dial 911, that's why they are there.

Congrats on the new home! I have to second everyone's suggestions, especially talking to the neighbors and police. It might be that someone was just taking a short cut through the yard and didn't realize that a new family had already moved in. Be safe!

Good idea! I would call the cops, get security systems installed, get good locks for the doors. Don't take sleeping pills. Drink chamomile tea or sleepy time tea. Good luck sweetie! hope things settle down and you get to enjoy your new home.

Originally Posted by QurlySq Also, try getting to know the neighbors... Know who's supposed to be around and who's out of place... and if your neighbors get to know you, they're more likely to look out for you if something strange goes down...

I agree with the motion detector lights. Those things are great. I also agree with getting to know the neighbors - have any of them had problems with window peepers? Hopefully it was just someone walking by who noticed that they could see in and was being curious. But I'd be taking a more cautious approach & making sure no one could see in & getting those lights up. And definitely talk to your neighbors - you never know, one of them might work late hours & after talking with you, would keep a close eye on your yard for you! Maybe stop by the police department & ask if anyone has had similar problems in your neighborhood? At the same time, you could make them aware of what happened to you. But the lights are the greatest deterrent in my opinion. Good luck & keep us posted on what happens!

smile.gif

Kelly

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Wow that is pretty scary. I would have taken my 9mm out the back door and stood there with me and said..."hello....lilsten to this sound, it's me chambering a round in my GUN, CLICK"

lmao!!!!Awww Tony you are such a mans MAN!!!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
claps.gif

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone!
icon_biggrin.gif
We got one of those motion detector lights and my hubby installed it yesterday. Oh and Charmaine, I had a talk with him like you suggested. He was TOTALLY feeling macho that I needed him to help make me feel safer!
rolleyes.gif
So last night he was SOOOOO cute! He was so tired but was trying everything so that I would fall asleep before he did.:icon_love And for the first night in awhile, I actually slept ALL night! Thanks again guys!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back