A Question For Those Who Know Technology (TVs To Be Exact)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal:

My brother is moving out of where he is living now and is going to be getting a place on his own. This is his first time living without roommates and he doesn't have much furniture or anything to put in his apartment (as of yet).

He was talking to me and my parents and was saying how awful his 12 year old tv is (he pretty much has to unplug it for it to turn off, etc). So I thought it would be a great idea to buy him a tv for Christmas.

There are only two problems.

1. I'm poor.
  2. I know nothing about TVs.
So here are two options (both quite different from each other) that I can probably afford.
Polaroid 19" Widescreen LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, TLA-01911C - Wal-Mart

Sanyo 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube TV with Digital Tuner, HT30547 - Wal-Mart

I'd ask him which he'd prefer, but that would totally defeat the purpose of surprising him with a nice Christmas present. I know the first one is an HDTV and he'll probably not be able to afford HD Programming, but he may at some time in the future.

So, for those of you who know technology, which do you believe would be the best option? Do you have any feelings one way or the other?

Any advice or insight that any of you can give will be GREATLY appreciated!
smile.gif

so you know, eventually, and i mean in the next five years, ALL tv will be HDTV...

the government is phasing out everything else and forcing you to upgrade.

yeh everything here in aus is going high def. we have a high def 42"plasma by samsubg, but to much i say for this one. i would say go high def. altho i dont noe wat america is doing but id say that is the way to go.

I heard what brewgrl mentioned. I found this article in regards to it. I have noticed many of the analog tv's are not as readily available in electronic stores now.

Source: Dailytech.com

Best Buy says "So Long, Farewell" to analog televisions

Over-the-air (OTA) analog TV broadcasts will be eliminated completely from the U.S. on February 17. 2009. Thanks to regulations from the U.S. government, all OTA broadcasts from that point on will be all-digital.

In order to accommodate customers who rely on analog OTA broadcasts, the government will issue two $40 coupons to each American household which are good towards the purchase of a digital-to-analog converter box. According to early estimates, the converter boxes will retail for $60 to $70.

Best Buy, however, is ahead of the game and has completely exited the analog TV business. The company has removed all analog TVs from its stores and from now on will only sell models with digital tuners included.

Best Buy also announced that it will sell the upcoming DTV converter boxes and will accept the government issued coupons to use towards the purchase price.

"We are committed to helping people understand the digital television transition, and exiting the analog video business is one way we can help avoid confusion," said Best Buy senior VP Mike Vitelli.

"Customers can now be sure that any television they purchase at Best Buy will be fully compliant with the digital television transition. And for customers who aren’t in the market for a new television, we can help you find the best solution to meet your needs."

Originally Posted by Shelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif I heard what brewgrl mentioned. I found this article in regards to it. I have noticed many of the analog tv's are not as readily available in electronic stores now.
Source: Dailytech.com

Best Buy says "So Long, Farewell" to analog televisions

Over-the-air (OTA) analog TV broadcasts will be eliminated completely from the U.S. on February 17. 2009. Thanks to regulations from the U.S. government, all OTA broadcasts from that point on will be all-digital.

In order to accommodate customers who rely on analog OTA broadcasts, the government will issue two $40 coupons to each American household which are good towards the purchase of a digital-to-analog converter box. According to early estimates, the converter boxes will retail for $60 to $70.

Best Buy, however, is ahead of the game and has completely exited the analog TV business. The company has removed all analog TVs from its stores and from now on will only sell models with digital tuners included.

Best Buy also announced that it will sell the upcoming DTV converter boxes and will accept the government issued coupons to use towards the purchase price.

"We are committed to helping people understand the digital television transition, and exiting the analog video business is one way we can help avoid confusion," said Best Buy senior VP Mike Vitelli.

"Customers can now be sure that any television they purchase at Best Buy will be fully compliant with the digital television transition. And for customers who aren’t in the market for a new television, we can help you find the best solution to meet your needs."

See, all this stuff confuses me so much! lol!
Both of the TVs have Digital Tuners. So does that mean they'd both be ok?

Thanks for the info!
smile.gif

Even though the government is saying everyone will be going HD, there will still exist Cable TV boxes from your cable provider that will work with the older TV's for a long time imho... Same as black and white TVs could pickup a color signal... I

I'd go with the 30" Sanyo which is for one larger... not a big fan of Poloroid anything.... That will give him a nice sized set to watch while the lcd and plazma tv prices continue to fall...

(I paid over $4,000 for my 37" Sharp Aquos LCD 3 years ago and you can get something comparable now for just over a grand...)

IMHO...

Karren

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif See, all this stuff confuses me so much! lol!
Both of the TVs have Digital Tuners. So does that mean they'd both be ok?

Thanks for the info!
smile.gif

I will admit I am confused myself, lol. I think what they are saying is areas (cities, states?) that still have analog broadcasts you can buy a converter box that plugs into your old tv, that changes the analog to DTV. I am guessing other areas will be fully converted to HDTV broadcasts in which case you just need the tv. ??
I don't know if what I wrote makes sense or is right.

Probably the best thing to do is to head to Best Buy or one of those electronic stores and ask.

I hope I didn't confuse you more!

Shaundra, I know you probably won't want to.... but on black friday you can get a steal on tv's. (I'm sure you know) And people don't usually fight over the tv's (here anyway)... unless they are big screens. A 19-30 inch you should have no problem picking up. We get amazing deals on tvs that day, and I don't even get up early to go... plus I refuse to fight a crowd.

Ok, so for everyone talking about HD umm...whatever it's called? lol. Are those votes for the first link, then? lol...sorry I'm so dense when it comes to this stuff...

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Shaundra, I know you probably won't want to.... but on black friday you can get a steal on tv's. (I'm sure you know) And people don't usually fight over the tv's (here anyway)... unless they are big screens. A 19-30 inch you should have no problem picking up. We get amazing deals on tvs that day, and I don't even get up early to go... plus I refuse to fight a crowd. That's a great idea! I'll probably have the money by then.
smile.gif
So I could definitely do that!
smile.gif

*bump*

I'd REALLY like to get as many opinions as possible so I feel more confident when I go shopping!

Thanks everyone who has given their opinion thus far!

I would go with the HDTV right now. The bigger one is nice but since people will have to by convertor boxes starting in 2009 .. HDTV is probably the best bet.

So...I just thought I'd update everyone!
smile.gif

My parents agreed to help me out with the present, so I was able to get a 32" LCD HDTV at Circuit City! I stood in line for about 45 minutes today to get it! lol!

He'd better like it, or I'm taking it! lol!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by S. Lisa Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif What a great sister!!! Aww...thanks so much!
smile.gif
I really wanted to do something special for him this year.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back