Accidentally bought a used lipstick.....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was at a CVS today because I have some expiring extra bucks. I read that if you buy 2 Revlon product you get another $7 extra bucks, so I went ahead and bought 2 lip butters. They look good from the clear top and were sealed properly and I did grab the ones at the back because the first ones are always used in drugstore. People literally force it out to swatch it even if it's completely sealed, they do it on Revlon's lip stains. So I grabbed two and checked out. When I got home I removed the seal and wanted to swatch them on my arm to see how they look, then to realize one of them looks like it was slightly touch! GROSS! I put back the cap and found out that you won't be able to notice it was touched with the cap on. There was no fingerprints on the tube either.

What am I going to do with it? Does anyone know if I can swap a new one with receipt? I've removed and tossed the seal though. I definitely made sure the seal wasn't opened before i check out. Should I toss it or try to save it with 70% alcohol? (I don't even know if you're supposed to wipe a lipstick with alcohol tho)

I should have stick with shopping online at Ulta :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How did you pay? Sometimes some companies will allow exchanges without a refund receipt. We don't have a CVS near by so I don't know their policies.

I paid by credit. I don't want a refund I just want my lipstick unused! Guess I'll call them to ask tomorrow.

You could disinfect it with the 70% alchohol spray sure (I've done it before) and then use it. Or just throw it in the garbage, serously. I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning a drugstore product unless you were seriously low on money. Just toss it, meh.

That's really gross. I probably wouldn't go through the effort of returning it, personally. But, I would try to disinfect it or just toss it. Alcohol prob wouldn't hurt it though, I've used it to sanitize some of my lipsticks before and they were all fine:)

If you're not pressed for time, I would just exchange it for a new one. You still have your receipt and you can just explain what happened. But if you don't want to deal with the hassle, I think it's fine if you just sanitize it.

This has happened to me before. If you want to keep it, I suggest using a razor to slice the very top off and then wipe it with rubbing alcohol.

Thank you ladies! I end up wiping off a layer then sanitized it with alcohol. I really wanted to exchange but you ladies are right. Not worth the hassle!

i'd also just take it back and explain what happened, since you just purchased it and still have your receipt there really shouldn't be any issues. and i thought cvs was one of the chains that has a makeup love it guarantee...

I would take it back. CVS is normally good with returning cosmetics (if you tried it, you can return it if you don't like it), so if you tell them it was like that when you brought it home, you can definitely get it exchanged!

Latest posts

Back