Advice for daughter with super thick hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and looking for any advice you can give. My daughter is 12 and has super thick hair. The underneath layers are wavy but the outer layers are straight. Right now her hair is shoulder length and she's growing out her bangs, which are almost chin length. She is having a very difficult time learning to manage her hair on her own and I still have to help her with it, which is becoming a problem because of time issues. We use a smoothing shampoo/conditioner by matrix and also a smoothing spray when she tries to use a flat iron. It still doesn't seem to work, and she has so much hair that she can't get all of it underneath smoothed out enough. I wonder if we should go with more of a layered haircut, if that might help. We just need to find something that will be easier for her to manage on her own and look nice for a 12 year old girl. Thanks! Michelle

Sounds just like my hair, haha. It's SO thick, and I couldn't even think about drying it all the way(I don't have the time!) the bottom parts get wavier, especially towards the bottom. I'm looking for things to help me out, too. But I definitely think layers help, and I try to keep my hair a certain length(just about shoulder length) because that's the length where I can manage it best. It's harder when it's longer. That's all of the wisdom I have, though, unfortunately. I wish I had a better response for you!

I thnk layers would help.

maybe if you help her flat iron her hair at night. it will last a few days.

Hi well I have thick hair too and lots of it! My advice is throw away the Matrix products! I used them and didn't work for me! Here's my recomendations:

67_1_b.JPG

Phyto defrissant: Which is a botanical hair relaxing balm! This will do wonders for your daughter's hair.. It's is pricey but well worth the money..This is used by celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Simpson.. This line is all natural and made from plants. It also hydrates and conditions the hair. This great to apply before she dries her hair.

5c_1_b.JPG

Biosilk Silk Theraphy: I love this product!!! I apply it after I have flat ironed my hair! This leaves the hair super shiny and soft! Ideal to control frizzy hair! I can't leave without this stuff and it lasts a long time!

As far as shampoos always use something that hydrates the hair..this is very important when it comes to thick hair..I recommend Phyto Shampoos or Nexxus..Check Ebay you will save some money!

Before she flat irons her hair she should apply Straight sexy hair Seal Anti Frizz which will protect her hair from the heat damage and will keep her hair frizz-resistant in humidity!

b0_1_b.JPG

Thanks everyone for all your advice and product recommendations. We'll give it a try and see if it helps. I appreciate your input!

Welcome to MuT, Hartgm! I'm Janelle from Ny - nice to meet you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I would definitely go with layers, they are much easier to manage (and less time consuming) than hair that is all one length. The stylist can thin it out a bit also, to get rid of some of the bulk - just be sure they don't over-do it, or it can leave 'holes'. But I also reccomend the StraightSexyHair... you should look into the Power Straight straightening balm... it's great on thick hair.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by hartgm Hi! I'm new here and looking for any advice you can give. My daughter is 12 and has super thick hair. The underneath layers are wavy but the outer layers are straight. Right now her hair is shoulder length and she's growing out her bangs, which are almost chin length. She is having a very difficult time learning to manage her hair on her own and I still have to help her with it, which is becoming a problem because of time issues. We use a smoothing shampoo/conditioner by matrix and also a smoothing spray when she tries to use a flat iron. It still doesn't seem to work, and she has so much hair that she can't get all of it underneath smoothed out enough. I wonder if we should go with more of a layered haircut, if that might help. We just need to find something that will be easier for her to manage on her own and look nice for a 12 year old girl. Thanks! Michelle i have straightened 5 thick-haired girls for every single dance back in highschool, and i know it's extremely hard!
i would reccomend her to get it layerd, and chemically straightened at a salon. it makes the hair so much smoother, and manageble.

also, do a deep conditioning treatment every week, so it's easier to manage.

Originally Posted by Charmaine Hey Janelle, sorry to butt in here, but where can I get StraightSexyHair? Trade Secret carries all of the Sexy Hair Concepts products. That's the only place that I know of. I'm sure Janelle will know of others if you don't have a Trade Secret near you.

Originally Posted by Charmaine Hey Janelle, sorry to butt in here, but where can I get StraightSexyHair? Do you have an Ulta nearby?? And you're not butting in
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted by Charmaine No, I don't have one near me. Oh hey, you think Trade Secret will have it? Yeah - I'm sure they would... I don't have a Trade Secret store by me, but I've heard they carry the whole line..
wink.gif
You could always try folica.com or another online store??
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by smallpuppy Hi well I have thick hair too and lots of it! My advice is throw away the Matrix products! I used them and didn't work for me! Here's my recomendations:
67_1_b.JPG

Phyto defrissant: Which is a botanical hair relaxing balm! This will do wonders for your daughter's hair.. It's is pricey but well worth the money..This is used by celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Simpson.. This line is all natural and made from plants. It also hydrates and conditions the hair. This great to apply before she dries her hair.

5c_1_b.JPG

Biosilk Silk Theraphy: I love this product!!! I apply it after I have flat ironed my hair! This leaves the hair super shiny and soft! Ideal to control frizzy hair! I can't leave without this stuff and it lasts a long time!

As far as shampoos always use something that hydrates the hair..this is very important when it comes to thick hair..I recommend Phyto Shampoos or Nexxus..Check Ebay you will save some money!

Before she flat irons her hair she should apply Straight sexy hair Seal Anti Frizz which will protect her hair from the heat damage and will keep her hair frizz-resistant in humidity!

b0_1_b.JPG

Oh, we do have the biosilk silk therapy and you're right- it's great! I use it also and love it!!

Originally Posted by hartgm Hi! I'm new here and looking for any advice you can give. My daughter is 12 and has super thick hair. The underneath layers are wavy but the outer layers are straight. Right now her hair is shoulder length and she's growing out her bangs, which are almost chin length. She is having a very difficult time learning to manage her hair on her own and I still have to help her with it, which is becoming a problem because of time issues. We use a smoothing shampoo/conditioner by matrix and also a smoothing spray when she tries to use a flat iron. It still doesn't seem to work, and she has so much hair that she can't get all of it underneath smoothed out enough. I wonder if we should go with more of a layered haircut, if that might help. We just need to find something that will be easier for her to manage on her own and look nice for a 12 year old girl. Thanks! Michelle I have super course hair ,and I always request that my hairdresser thin out my hair..it looks and feel sooooo much better

Originally Posted by sweetface18 I have super course hair ,and I always request that my hairdresser thin out my hair..it looks and feel sooooo much better Yep, taking out the bulk in certain areas can make a huge difference, and it's usually not that noticable to the eye... just in its density and the amt. of time and aggravation it takes to style it!
wink.gif
lol

ask your hairdresser to razor it underneath, thats what i ask them to do. it takes out the weight and bulkyness from the hair. the hairdresser uses a razor comb or scissors and just runs them through the hair you will be suprised at how much weight is taken!

also i recommend ghd straighteners. ive been using them for a year or two now and i really rely on them i dont know what i would do if they broke! my hair is soo thick and coarse and this is the only way that i have found that straightens my wavy hair and gets its smooth.

Your better off talking to a professional about it really as they will be able to see your daughters hair and work out what do with it from there. but theres a few recommendations from me!!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, again, everyone for all your help. We're going today to the salon to see what can be done with it. I want a good cut before she starts back to school so hopefully she won't have as much of a hassle then with the time issues as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

Michelle

All this advice everyone has given is correct, layers would so help with the bulk, thinning is also great just make sure they don't thin out that top layer or you could have little hairs sticking up all over the place. If she flat irons try getting a a better flat iron, and when it is being done, try taking smaller section. Oh ans about drying the hair Redken makes something from their Active Express line it is a spray in and helps the hair dry much faster (naturally or blow drying it) Good Luck with everything.

If she is having such a hard time getting it straight, why not try to let it dry naturally with some product in it and let it be naturally wavy. That seems to be the trend lately anyway. Plus with the humidity the way it is, if she has naturally wavy hair, it would be hard to keep straight throughout the day even if it does start out that way. (I rhymed
icon_cheesygrin.gif
)

We've decided to forget trying to straighten it. She got a really cute layered cut, so she just puts some smoothing gel in her hair and dries it (not completely) and lets it wave naturally. With the layers the ends flip out naturally and it's so cute. She just loves it and the "messy" look ends up being a lot quicker than all the time it took trying to straighten it. Thanks, again, for all the advice!

Greetings:

I know what your daughter and you are going through as far as managing her thick thick hair. My sis and I have the exact same problem. The best advice for your daughter is to DO NOT cut her hair short. As her body changes her hair does too and it looks as if it will probably be wavy all over if it is under neath now. If you cut it short it is IMPOSSIBLE to manage once it starts to grow out because of the bushiness. You really need to invest a little in a GOOD conditioner that has alot of moisture in such as Meros Enrich.And it would probably be worth it to have it deep conditioned professionally at the salon to keep it smooth. It does require to spend some money on it but it will help.

My sis and I wished we had this advice growing up and it would have saved ALOT of time on our hair.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back