Advice needed on preventing nails from flaking

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a trans woman so I missed out on those vital tutorials from my mum when I was young. I've tried applying nail polish and it seems to destroy my nails which, after a few weeks, go really flaky and weak and then take about 5 months to recover. I don't know if it's the polish or the remover (I used acetone and acetone-free). This must happen to others, I would think, so what are the solutions? I've read that toothpaste is a way to remove nail polish - does that work? Do some polishes attack the nails?

I'm a trans woman so I missed out on those vital tutorials from my mum when I was young. I've tried applying nail polish and it seems to destroy my nails which, after a few weeks, go really flaky and weak and then take about 5 months to recover. I don't know if it's the polish or the remover (I used acetone and acetone-free). This must happen to others, I would think, so what are the solutions? I've read that toothpaste is a way to remove nail polish - does that work? Do some polishes attack the nails?
From Google:

Dry and brittle nails are the result of too little moisture. They're most commonly caused by the repeated washing and drying of fingernails. On the other hand, soft and brittle nails are caused by too much moisture, often a result of overexposure to detergents, household cleaners, and nail polish remover. Causes, Treatment and Prevention

Latest posts

Back