African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad I saw this thread today! I used to get my hair chemically relaxed about once a year... and this time around I haven't now for almost 2 years. I've gone thru some changes (weight, depression, etc) over the last couple of years and my hair has gone thru it with me. My hair is long (when straight, near back bra strap) and usually very shiny. I usually wear it straight (but can also wear curly) but lately it's been harder to blow out, dry, frizzy and blah. I used to use the Phytologie line of hair products and loved them!! Since that line is a little on the 'spensive side, I had to stop for a while... I began thinking that my cheaper choices were causing this imbalance. Since happening upon this thread today, I've not only found answers for what I'm looking for, but have decided to stay natural as well!!!..No more chemicals!! I'm also going to start using more natural products on my hair. Thank ya'll for this wonderful WONDERFUL info!!
flowers.gif

Originally Posted by CPS /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm so glad I saw this thread today! I used to get my hair chemically relaxed about once a year... and this time around I haven't now for almost 2 years. I've gone thru some changes (weight, depression, etc) over the last couple of years and my hair has gone thru it with me. My hair is long (when straight, near back bra strap) and usually very shiny. I usually wear it straight (but can also wear curly) but lately it's been harder to blow out, dry, frizzy and blah. I used to use the Phytologie line of hair products and loved them!! Since that line is a little on the 'spensive side, I had to stop for a while... I began thinking that my cheaper choices were causing this imbalance. Since happening upon this thread today, I've not only found answers for what I'm looking for, but have decided to stay natural as well!!!..No more chemicals!! I'm also going to start using more natural products on my hair. Thank ya'll for this wonderful WONDERFUL info!!
flowers.gif
i'm so happy you found something that works for you! please post and let us know what you're using!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif well, friday is august 1st and i still haven't texturized. the last time was maybe april? i think i just might be over the hump. i don't know whether it's because it's longer now so i have more weight to it or the products i'm using, but i don't feel like i need a texturizer this time around! i'm super happy about that! no breakage, no shedding and it's super soft and strong! it is kind of puffy in the roots, but very managable! i have been conditioning everyday, though. i'm sure that helps to keep the moisture level constant. i've even got ladies on my job going natural! very cool! what a crock of bs i told myself! by sunday those puffy roots were driving me mad! i texturized my hair and had a huge sigh of relief! i guess it's time to be honest with myself. i like my hair texturized! so sue me! lmao~

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm thinking about going natural. i say go for it! have you ever worn you hair natural before?

I love Aphogee products. I just got hooked after reading a few posts on YouTube on black hair care. I strongly recommend Shampoo for Damaged Hair, 2 Minute Reconstructor and this weekend I used the Protein Treatment and Balancing Moisturizer. After washing out the conditioner I use the Leave-In Protein Conditioner and the Keratin Reconstructor. As for the occassional dandruff I have used Mizani's Scalp Care Shampoo and would like to try it with the Scalp Care Pre-Treatment but I haven't gotten to that yet. I have also heard some great things about Head and Shoulders but I have not used it in years.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i say go for it! have you ever worn you hair natural before? Okay, when I was little and I got my first relaxer the lady had no clue what she was doing and it got so damaged to the point in had to get cut all off.

A lady came in the shop and tried to comfort me ( I never cried so hard in my life) but it didn't work.
bawling.gif

I had it cut low. (the lady in the shop had natural hair)

I was really little so I didn't really care about the relaxed vs natural thing.

I bring it up going natural around my folks and they look at me with disgust.

They have the whole mindset of good is relaxed and bad is natural.

I gotta do some research.

my hair recently broke off towards the ends in the area framing my face due to flat iron exposure i think . although it is healthy now again , should i stop perming it for some time to help it gain its length back ? if so for how long ? or will it grow better / grow the same even if i continue to perm it every six weeks such as I have been doing ? my hair is not too thick now and even prior to perming, it was always on the manageable side .

thanks !

You'll want to add protein to your hair. It will make your hair strong enough to withstand the damage a perm will cause, it will also help to prevent future damage. Have you tried Kolestoral?

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif You'll want to add protein to your hair. It will make your hair strong enough to withstand the damage a perm will cause, it will also help to prevent future damage. Have you tried Kolestoral? nooo but i will look into it . thanks !!

Originally Posted by msz_jaymarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif my hair recently broke off towards the ends in the area framing my face due to flat iron exposure i think . although it is healthy now again , should i stop perming it for some time to help it gain its length back ? if so for how long ? or will it grow better / grow the same even if i continue to perm it every six weeks such as I have been doing ? my hair is not too thick now and even prior to perming, it was always on the manageable side .
thanks !

I think you can grow healthy relaxed hair, but please try to stretch out your relaxers a bit. Every 6 weeks is way too often IMO. Try stretching it out to 8 or 10 weeks. I agree with HairEgo about using protein, but also make sure to balance it out with a moisturizing treatment

Back