African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hair is so dry and flaky sometimes and I wanted someones opinion on

What do you think is the best shampoo for flaky and dry hair?

Best Conditioner?

Best Hairdressing?

scared.gif

Sephora,

I can only enthusiastically recommend the technique I use:

CO washing. That is Conditioner Only washing. Conditioners have the same ingredients in them that shampoos have to get your hair fully rinsed off. Depending on what you usesI do not use shampoo anymore, and I haven't for several months. If I need an actual detergent to wash my hair with, I use a Tea Tree oil wash.you will never have another itch again if you keep your scalp clean. I discovered how well my hair actually did without the use of sulphates and silicon found in so many commercial shampoos and conditioners.

I also henna & Indigo my hair, and it actually has loosened my curls ALOT, and strengthened my hair, it's nearly indestructible now, it seems.

I don't get flakes or itch anymore. I used to use Head & Shoulders, Pert Plus all those harsh shampoos when I would get flakes. I quit using them, and put miconazole (yeast infection cream) on my head one day a long time ago... I have never had another outbreak of flakes.

Also, do not use anything that is petroleum or mineral oil based. It only causes problems for your scalp down the road. Throw them all out.

PM me if you are interested in the rest of my regimen.

aveda, soft sheen carson are my 2 fav brands

all i can say is condition condition cut (like cut split eends regularly)

and that keeps hair pretty healthy

I agree with Nox, i was on this curly hair website and they recommended use conditioner rather than shampoo.

i was amazed t0 find out that the thing i was avoiding made my hair perform the best. you know the one about black women not wanting to get their hair wet. now i rinse and condtion every other day and my hair feels amazing! also, no more blow drying, flat ironing or hot curling. rinse, condition, moisturize, airdry!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i was amazed t0 find out that the thing i was avoiding made my hair perform the best. you know the one about black women not wanting to get their hair wet. now i rinse and condtion every other day and my hair feels amazing! also, no more blow drying, flat ironing or hot curling. rinse, condition, moisturize, airdry! Aye aye!
applaus.gif

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i was amazed t0 find out that the thing i was avoiding made my hair perform the best. you know the one about black women not wanting to get their hair wet. now i rinse and condtion every other day and my hair feels amazing! also, no more blow drying, flat ironing or hot curling. rinse, condition, moisturize, airdry!

Could you elaborate more on your process?

atom.gif

just a bit of background about my hair troubles. at about 45 i started noticing that my hair was thinning on top (male pattern baldness area). i saw a pic of my head from behind and you could see my scalp! i was in shock! at the time i was relaxing and wearing a feathered taper style. i decided to stop curling immediately and wore a half kinky half straight afro for several months. people looked at me like i was crazy, but i didn't care! i was determined to get back to healthy hair. when i had a couple inches of new growth i wacked off the permed sections and went natural. i'll be 49 next month and my curls are shoulder length, my hair is super soft and managable, and i haven't used a hot curler, hot comb, blow dryer or roller in years! thank you God! i do put in a mild texturizer if i experience any serious breakage issues (maybe every 6 months).

daily~

rinse in the shower

condition with pantene prov for women of color

baggie while i finish my shower

rinse and leave a bit of conditioner for managability

don't not towel dry! just squeeze excess water with hands

saturate with dark & lovely chamomile moisturizer

follow with john freida silicone gel to control frizz (many people say bad things about silcone products (cones) but my hair loves them! go figure?)

ampro protein gel to control my edges

a dab of ouidad moisture gel for shine

let air dry while i put on my makeup

i hope this helps.

Monnie, I just am so bewildered. Alot of people tell me they love the Pantene Pro V for WOC. My hair felt so trashed after just one use, so I gave it away to a friend who absolutely adores the stuff. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Monnie, I just am so bewildered. Alot of people tell me they love the Pantene Pro V for WOC. My hair felt so trashed after just one use, so I gave it away to a friend who absolutely adores the stuff. Go figure. i must say that before pantene i could feel the stress on my hair every time i used my afro comb. since i've been using the pantene for women of color i don't even need the comb. my hair detangles just using my fingers and i have almost not shedding. my guess would be that the amount of oil in the product may not work for some, but for me it works well.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif This thread will be very helpful:
https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f13...fro+curly+hair

It's an oldie but a goody!

thanks so much for the reminder. i enjoyed the info i got from that thread as well!

A website my friend swears by is Carol's Daughter. They have alot of natural products for hair and skin. Can't say I've used it, but she refuses anything else! P.s. As I said in another post, my current regimen constist of Blended Beauty products, and they even have a line for my daughter, Blended Cutie. I love these!

you guys might also want to check out long hair care forum. it has so so so much info and inspirational pictures of WoC who actually have waist length hair.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif you guys might also want to check out long hair care forum. it has so so so much info and inspirational pictures of WoC who actually have waist length hair. Yes, I am aware of that forum. I used to frequent there a lot for a brief time, but I confronted a registered member who was using my pics from LHCF on another forum claiming to be me. Unfortunately, I see that this person is also a member here at MuT (you know who you are). I don't go there anymore since that place is crawling with picture stealers and people that have long hair fetishes.

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif My hair is so dry and flaky sometimes and I wanted someones opinion on
What do you think is the best shampoo for flaky and dry hair?

Best Conditioner?

Best Hairdressing?

scared.gif

When my hair was relaxed I'd use Pantene for color treated hair (not the naturals line in the bronze bottle) or Keracare shampoo/conditioner. When the seasons would change and my scalp would get dry, I'd switch to she dry/itchy scalp tingling formulation. When I went natural I switched to the previously mentioned "no poo" method just washing with conditioner. Usually VO5 kiwi lime or Suave. coconut or lavender. Harsh chemicals are not your friend and you may want to consider increasing your water intake as well. Lots more info at nappturality.com where otheres have had experiences similar to your.

HTH!

ETA: Research some protective styles to take the stress off of the hair from daily manipulation and general styling, and try to stay away from heated styling tools, maybe opt for a roller/rod set. Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and are eating well, lots of fresh fruits and veggies organic if you can, to help build from the inside out!

I learned a lot from you ladies. Thanks. My little bit o' input would be to use tea tree oil for itchy scalp. It does help a lot. My hair still is relaxed. I don't rise it everyday, but I will rework my schedule so I can blow dry it straight before heading to work.

Originally Posted by ThisIsKia /img/forum/go_quote.gif Harsh chemicals are not your friend and you may want to consider increasing your water intake as well. Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and are eating well, lots of fresh fruits and veggies organic if you can, to help build from the inside out! i'm so happy you mentioned this kia! lots of times we forget that everything we do affects us in some way. great advice! thanks bunches!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, I am aware of that forum. I used to frequent there a lot for a brief time, but I confronted a registered member who was using my pics from LHCF on another forum claiming to be me. Unfortunately, I see that this person is also a member here at MuT (you know who you are). I don't go there anymore since that place is crawling with picture stealers and people that have long hair fetishes. Oh, that sucks. I am currently trying to grow out my fro..actually I am perming my hair tonight (Fingers crossed). I was so shocked cus after I got the balls to take out my braids, I thought my hair would be severely damaged. I guess your advice of applying shea butter nightly saved my hair cus not only did it grow, it was healthy and full. But I "want" long hair. Does that count as a fetish? Oh and finding the right products suck so I am just sticking to oils (EVOO, Coconut and castor)

Originally Posted by tdb7297 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I learned a lot from you ladies. Thanks. My little bit o' input would be to use tea tree oil for itchy scalp. It does help a lot. My hair still is relaxed. I don't rise it everyday, but I will rework my schedule so I can blow dry it straight before heading to work. Dont forget to use a heat protector. My cousin's gf's hair is slightly damaged from all the heat she uses. So not whenever I flat iron her hair I always make sure to coat it with coconut oil so at least she will see some shine.

Grace, wanting long hair is a very common feminine desire. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think all women should be allowed to achieve great lengths if they so choose. I am so glad you are able to see positive results on your hair with the nightly shea butter. I do not mind if someone like yourself asks for information or even photos, because I trust that you are genuine in your motive.

It's people that send explicit messages asking you to cut off a lock of hair and mail it to them that I have a problem with. I have gotten solicitations for private photos of my unbound hair in exchange for money... I consider that quite excessive and I would call it a hair fetish.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Grace, wanting long hair is a very common feminine desire. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think all women should be allowed to achieve great lengths if they so choose. I am so glad you are able to see positive results on your hair with the nightly shea butter. I do not mind if someone like yourself asks for information or even photos, because I trust that you are genuine in your motive.
It's people that send explicit messages asking you to cut off a lock of hair and mail it to them that I have a problem with. I have gotten solicitations for private photos of my unbound hair in exchange for money... I consider that quite excessive and I would call it a hair fetish.

Oh yeah, thats just downright disturbing. People amaze me sometimes. Serious

Latest posts

Back