African-American Naturals, Out There?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wondering how many African-American, African, etc., hair types are out there that wear their hair in natural styles, and what is their routine and/or products they use?
icon_confused.gif

Hi sugarquayn, nice to meet you! I myself do rely on chemical relaxers but here is a fairly recent thread discussing going natural. It should be just what you're looking for!

product wise, i'm a true PJ so i'm always trying something new... right now i'm loving the NTM line .... and i'm on a hunt for black castor oil... routine wise, i co-wash daily and do a shampoo, ACV rinse and deep conditioning every weekend... i'm still a baby in the natural world so i'm still discovering things...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

oh yeah i love MTG and Surge!!!

Originally Posted by glamslam Hi sugarquayn, nice to meet you! I myself do rely on chemical relaxers but here is a fairly recent thread discussing going natural. It should be just what you're looking for! Hi ladies

I also rely on relaxers

i'm a semi natural girl. i texturize about every 5-6 months. i rinse daily and wash weekly. i like dark and natural and frizz ease products to keep my nappy curls soft and managable. i relaxed my hair for 25+ years and i'll never go back. the natural thing is so much easier to manage and i'm not constantly worried about getting my hair messed up. it's alot of fun!

oh, btw - hello sugarquayn and welcome to mut. i'm monnie from michigan.

Originally Posted by sugarquayn Hi All,
I was just wondering how many African-American, African, etc., hair types are out there that wear their hair in natural styles, and what is their routine and/or products they use?
icon_confused.gif

Hi ladies,

Monniej, I also texturize --- every three months. I love my texturized hair. I wash twice per week and deep condition once per week. I am looking for great products to help keep my curls moisturized. I currently use Softsheen Carefree curl, but I am looking for alternatives (don't care for S-curl). What products are you using from the dark & natural and frizz ease product lines?

TIA!

--QuePasa

Originally Posted by monniej i'm a semi natural girl. i texturize about every 5-6 months. i rinse daily and wash weekly. i like dark and natural and frizz ease products to keep my nappy curls soft and managable. i relaxed my hair for 25+ years and i'll never go back. the natural thing is so much easier to manage and i'm not constantly worried about getting my hair messed up. it's alot of fun!

i haven't ever gone natural. i rely on perms about every 6-8 weeks. i use dudley's or mizani products on my hair.

I'm a bit late, but yeh I am too. I'm a product junkie so I'll cut it down to my too favourite products ORS Hair Mayonnaise & ORS Olive Oil Lotion, I use a whole range of stuff but those are definate keepers.
icon_wink.gif

Hey I Dont Have Natural Hair I Diffenatly Have To Get A Touch Up Every 6weeks Or My Head Will Be Sore I Did Try To Go Natural Before I Just Couldnt Take All The Withdrawal Syptoms. I Do Use Affirm Relaxer I Love The Stuff.

What's the difference between a texturizer and a relaxer? I currently relax my hair, but as I am getting older it is getting longer, but thinner and wavier. I don't have to relax half as much as I used to, and I only need to keep it on my hair for about 5 mins for a great look. Gels and hair mayonnaise keep it nice and neat looking.

A texturiser is basically rinsed off as soon you apply it instead of leaving it in for relax, that way it makes ur curl pattern looser instead of straight, but then some people don't relax their hair till it goes bone straight.

Hi,

I have a head of spiral kinky shoulder length virgin hair--no chemicals. I love my natural hair and wouldn't have it any other way. I did the "perm" thing several times and just didn't like it. I wear my hair in two strand twist, braids, a Jill Scott modern afro and sometimes straighten it with a pressing comb(using Kayvel pressing cream--contains very little oil, sort of a dry press). I don't like to do the later too often because there's always that one section that does not wish to revert. I give my hair shea butter/virgin olive hot oil treatments biweekly and use Natural Oasis Products. Their shampoo is castile based so it does not strip your natural scalp oils, and contains only natural essential oils. For daily moiturising I use their gold top liquid lotion.

Natural hair gives you a lot of variety!!

hi ladies! great forum. although i have more of a loose curl compared to a really tight or kinky curl i do wear my hair natural sometimes. i usually flat iron it but, nothing feels better than just '' letting your hair down '' and going natural every now and then.

and btw, speerrituall1: i LOVE your signature. SO TRUE!

I love the versatility of hair, whether it is natural, chemically treated, or whatever! It's another form of creativity and self-expression, just like your life is supposed to be. There is a lot of cultural controversy about AA hair, but I embrace it all. I think a kinky 'fro is just as glamorous as braids, weaves, a chignon, or straight hair down to there!

I agree SewAmazing, I hate when people bash weaves, pressing, relaxing etc; yes there are some that have some sort of identity crisis but for the most part it's a styling option!

Originally Posted by sugarquayn Hi All,
icon_confused.gif

My hair is natural and I pretty much do Wash-Shake-Go styles.

Hey Sugarquayn, I know this thread is from a while back, but I thought I'd chime in.

I wash my hair once a week. I deep condition every other week, and I use raw Shea butter as a moisturizer/pomade. I usually wear twists pulled back. Lately my hair hasn't been giving me good twist outs for some reason, so I've really just been wearing my twists pulled back. If I'm going out, then I'll manipulate it into an afro. I want to try a straw set, but I don't think I can do it myself and hate hair salons.

Latest posts

Back