Age and hair length

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've heard, quite often in fact, that as women get older they should consider shorter styles to conpensate for thinning hair, and other issues associated with age. i've been letting my hair grow for some time now (about 2-3 years) and it's a few inches past my shoulders. i'll be 49 next month and i would love to see it continue to grow. it is thinning as i get older, but since i've ditched the heat styling it seems to be much healthier. i'd love to hear what you ladies think and maybe how your moms are handling this situation! thanks for your input.

monniej

I think older women should actually keep their hair longer. I am with the belief that a woman hacks off her femininity when she hacks the hair of her youth off. I never really understood the point of cutting off a middle-aged woman's hair to "look younger", when in fact it ages her. She might look like a more modern 40 year old, but now she looks like a 40 year old nonetheless.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a beautiful Caribbean lady in her early 70's who had healthy, waist length, snow white hair!!!!
w00t.gif
That was the catalyst that drove me to grow my hair out. I will probably only ever cut my hair once or twice for the rest of my life, barring any health interruptions.

Originally Posted by JoyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif Screw the "rules." :>
I'm 55 and have long hair.

that's so cool joy! i've had short hair and it really was much more of a hassle!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have had the pleasure of meeting a beautiful Caribbean lady in her early 70's who had healthy, waist length, snow white hair!!!!
w00t.gif
That was the catalyst that drove me to grow my hair out. I will probably only ever cut my hair once or twice for the rest of my life, barring any health interruptions. that's exactly what i'm going for, nox! lol~
thanks much for your comments, ladies!

As long as it looks healthy I say grow it long. I have also met an older woman with "salt and pepper" colored long hair. It was so thick and gorgeous!! I am going to have long hair as long as I can.

I think the length should suit the women - no age involved.

Not all women have thinning hair as they age - I'm 43 and have enough hair for 2 women.

As I am getting more greys, my hair is a bit coarser. But having longer hair makes it easier to manage the greys - dyed, of cource.

My mom has hair past her shoulders, is 50 and most people dont believe shes that old. It suits her, and makes her look young...why in the world would she chop it off.....she doesnt wanna look like HER mother, hahah

I'm 42 and my hair reaches the top of my butt. I will not go short. Not only is it harder to care for because my hair is fine and straight, it just doesn't look good on me.

I love long hair on women of any age. Long hair is a beautiful thing and I do agree that short hair makes some women look...tired and just ..."sexless" growout your hair, Mon.

i think stuff the rules and do wat looks great on u!!

As for me i will always have long hair, i look butch with short hair and it goes all afro like lol.

my mum has her hair juts past her shoulders and i think it suits her.

I don't think hair just past the shoulder is "long" for an older girl........I will soon be 40 and have contemplated this issue many times......my hair is bra strap length......I think as long as your hair is styled and not a mess any length is ok...............I think I will keep mine long for a few years yet, I look plenty young enough to get away with it regardless!!

I think that you should have whatever hairstyle looks the best on you. My mom is 45 and has GORGEOUS thick, full hair.

it's so good to hear that things are changing. i guess i'm a bit more old school than even i realized! i would love to have hair down my back forever! thanks for all the input ladies!

My mom cut her hair short, but I sooo want to keep my hair long when I get older! I think it's gorgeous when women with greying/white hair keep their hair long!

No kidding I live across a hair salon all older ladies in their 40's & 50's they firmly believe once u hit 40 u should chop off all your hair well damn Im almost 40 and ill be damned if Im gonna chop my hair off,, nope,not ,never

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i've heard, quite often in fact, that as women get older they should consider shorter styles to conpensate for thinning hair, and other issues associated with age. i've been letting my hair grow for some time now (about 2-3 years) and it's a few inches past my shoulders. i'll be 49 next month and i would love to see it continue to grow. it is thinning as i get older, but since i've ditched the heat styling it seems to be much healthier. i'd love to hear what you ladies think and maybe how your moms are handling this situation! thanks for your input.
monniej

age does not = hair length I think a women of any age with healty hair and a great cut

can have her hair as long as she wants and look wonderful

Well, my mom's always had shorter hair, and she goes on 48 in October. I'd hope to keep long hair personally, and I have seen women looking mighty good with long hair in their 50s. I don't think age should matter as far as length, but I can see how shorter styles can compensate for thinning.

I'm 33 and my hair is almost at my waist. I refuse to cut it off just because of my age. I'm a teacher, and it seems to be the pattern that female teachers here go short in their 30's and 40's. stuff that! I'm going to be 80 with long hair! I honestly think its easier too - yeah, it can take longer to wash, but I don't have to style it lie I did the few times I've tried it short.

Latest posts

Back