Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nox

Reaction score
MSNBC.com

Gore, U.N. climate panel win Nobel Peace Prize

Warming is ‘greatest challenge’ ever, he says, earning praise and criticism

ecfc56b3-7edf-41e6-b352-795092626039.h2.jpg

OSLO, Norway - Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Friday, and the former vice president used the attention to warn that global warming is "the greatest challenge we've ever faced."

World leaders, President Bush among them, congratulated the winners, while skeptics of man's contribution to warming criticized the choice of Gore.

Gore in a statement said he was " deeply honored ... We face a true planetary emergency. The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity."

"It is the most dangerous challenge we've ever faced, but it is also the greatest opportunity we have had to make changes," he later said at a brief news conference in Palo Alto, Calif.

Gore did not take any questions. As he walked away a reporter asked if he would run for president, but Gore did not respond.

Gore’s film "An Inconvenient Truth," a documentary on global warming, won an Academy Award this year. He had been widely expected to win the peace prize.

"His strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change," the Nobel citation said. "He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted."

It cited Gore's awareness at an early stage "of the climatic challenges the world is facing."

Panel's two decades

The Nobel Peace Prize committee also cited the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for two decades of scientific reports that have "created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming."

The IPCC groups 2,500 researchers from more than 130 nations and issued reports this year blaming human activities for climate changes ranging from more heat waves to floods. It was set up in 1988 by the United Nations to help guide governments.

Climate change has moved high on the international agenda this year. The U.N. climate panel has been releasing reports, talks on a replacement for the 1997 Kyoto Protocol on climate are set to resume and on Europe's northern fringe, where the awards committee works, there is growing concern about the melting Arctic.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said global warming "may induce large-scale migration and lead to greater competition for the Earth's resources. Such changes will place particularly heavy burdens on the world's most vulnerable countries. There may be increased danger of violent conflicts and wars, within and between states."

Gore said he would donate his share of the $1.5 million that accompanies the prize to the non-profit Alliance for Climate Protection.

Ole Danbolt Mjoes, chairman of the prize committee, said the award should not be seen as singling out the Bush administration for criticism.

"A peace prize is never a criticism of anything," he said. "A peace prize is a positive message and support to all those champions of peace in the world."

President Bush abandoned the Kyoto Protocol because he said it would harm the U.S. economy and because it did not require immediate cuts by countries like China and India. The treaty aimed to put the biggest burden on the richest nations that contributed the most carbon emissions.

The U.S. Senate voted against mandatory carbon reductions before the Kyoto negotiations were completed. The treaty was never presented to the Senate for ratification by the Clinton administration.

“Al Gore has fought the environment battle even as vice president,†Mjoes said. “Many did not listen ... but he carried on.â€

The White House said the prize was not seen as increasing pressure on the administration or showing that President Bush’s approach missed the mark.

“Of course he’s happy for Vice President Gore,†White House spokesman Tony Fratto said. “He’s happy for the international panel on climate change scientists who also shared the peace prize. Obviously it’s an important recognition.â€

Fratto said Bush has no plans to call Gore.

Let's see, the Nobel "Peace" Prize. How political is this award? Gore just goes around blaming humans for global warming and bashing the President. Yeah that's peace-making at its best.
icon_scratch.gif

Maybe it's just me...but what does global warming have to do with peace?

Good for him, though!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif Let's see, the Nobel "Peace" Prize. How political is this award? Gore just goes around blaming humans for global warming and bashing the President. Yeah that's peace-making at its best.
icon_scratch.gif
Who else should we blame, but humans? Besides, I don't think that's all he does. He gives advice on how we can all help stop global warning.
Anyway. I don't really see the direct connection to peace. But good for him.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif congrats to him. I agree i dont get what the award has to do with global warming. i suppose if he is trying to save our planet wouldnt that be considered "peace"

Originally Posted by han /img/forum/go_quote.gif i suppose if he is trying to save our planet wouldnt that be considered "peace"
iagree.gif
Thank you Han!!

Originally Posted by Karen_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif Who else should we blame, but humans? Besides, I don't think that's all he does. He gives advice on how we can all help stop global warning.
Anyway. I don't really see the direct connection to peace. But good for him.

Everyone on the planet could start riding horses and we could shut down every manufacturing plant and global warming will continue. In my opinion, global warming is a natural occurrence not a man-made one.

The planet is thousands of degrees under the crust. It is even hotter at the core. The buildup of heat and gas are relieved by volcanic eruptions. A single volcanic eruption puts more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than cars can in 20 years. The heat from the sun and from our planet itself is "held in" by these gases collecting in the atmosphere.

Eventually there will be massive volcanic eruptions that will trigger another iceage. This eruption will relieve pressure, heat, gas inside the Earth. The eruption will block out the sun. The planet will cool. That is the natural order of tempurature regulation for our earth. This process has happened before in Earth's life.

Read up on the 1815 eruption of Tambora (Sumbawa, Indonesia). That eruption was a VEI 7 and had a global effect on temperature. It wasn't anything compared to Toba's (Sumatra, Indonesia) eruption 75,000 years ago. That was a VEI 8 and sent the Earth into a global winter, which lasted about 6 years.

I just think there is more to global warming than driving a car powered by gasoline.

Originally Posted by han /img/forum/go_quote.gif i suppose if he is trying to save our planet wouldnt that be considered "peace" I guess someone would think that.

i think a lot of people forget about the true meaning of peace, mostly because we are always in conflict, so we think of peace as a state of trying to relieve ourselves from that. but actually, peace, is in definition is a state of harmony. so it's not about resolving conflict in terms of war. any statement that reaches beyond yourself in hopes of a better future is a statement of peace, whatever that effort may be. the IPCC was not made by Al Gore, and its not lead by Al Gore, it's lead by the United Nations. but Al Gore gave the committee a face that is internationally recognized.

Not all efforts for peace are related to wars, and this is one of them.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif i think a lot of people forget about the true meaning of peace, mostly because we are always in conflict, so we think of peace as a state of trying to relieve ourselves from that. but actually, peace, is in definition is a state of harmony. so it's not about resolving conflict in terms of war. any statement that reaches beyond yourself in hopes of a better future is a statement of peace, whatever that effort may be. the IPCC was not made by Al Gore, and its not lead by Al Gore, it's lead by the United Nations. but Al Gore gave the committee a face that is internationally recognized.Not all efforts for peace are related to wars, and this is one of them.

I heard on the radio a guy was saying that fighting for the environment will indirectly be a fight for peace. As natural resources dry out, there will be an increased risk of war because people will be desperate to get to those resources. A little simplified, of course.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just think there is more to global warming than driving a car powered by gasoline.

Of course, but to completely deny the strain our industrialized civilization has on the environment, and just make fun by saying "we should all ride horses instead of cars", is just completely counterproductive.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe it's just me...but what does global warming have to do with peace?
Good for him, though!
smile.gif

GMTA!!

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif i think a lot of people forget about the true meaning of peace, mostly because we are always in conflict, so we think of peace as a state of trying to relieve ourselves from that. but actually, peace, is in definition is a state of harmony. so it's not about resolving conflict in terms of war. any statement that reaches beyond yourself in hopes of a better future is a statement of peace, whatever that effort may be. the IPCC was not made by Al Gore, and its not lead by Al Gore, it's lead by the United Nations. but Al Gore gave the committee a face that is internationally recognized.Not all efforts for peace are related to wars, and this is one of them.

I had not thought of that point of view. That was very well put!

Originally Posted by Karen_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif Of course, but to completely deny the strain our industrialized civilization has on the environment, and just make fun by saying "we should all ride horses instead of cars", is just completely counterproductive. She wasn't saying we should do that.
smile.gif
She was saying IF we were to do that, global warming would still occur regardless.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif Everyone on the planet could start riding horses and we could shut down every manufacturing plant and global warming will continue. In my opinion, global warming is a natural occurrence not a man-made one.
The planet is thousands of degrees under the crust. It is even hotter at the core. The buildup of heat and gas are relieved by volcanic eruptions. A single volcanic eruption puts more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than cars can in 20 years. The heat from the sun and from our planet itself is "held in" by these gases collecting in the atmosphere.

Eventually there will be massive volcanic eruptions that will trigger another iceage. This eruption will relieve pressure, heat, gas inside the Earth. The eruption will block out the sun. The planet will cool. That is the natural order of tempurature regulation for our earth. This process has happened before in Earth's life.

Read up on the 1815 eruption of Tambora (Sumbawa, Indonesia). That eruption was a VEI 7 and had a global effect on temperature. It wasn't anything compared to Toba's (Sumatra, Indonesia) eruption 75,000 years ago. That was a VEI 8 and sent the Earth into a global winter, which lasted about 6 years.

I just think there is more to global warming than driving a car powered by gasoline.

your completly right there is more to globel warming than driveing a car powerd buy gasoline, but i dont agree that globel warming is a all natural occurence, while some of it may be natural the speed and rate of global warming is because of man, its happening alot faster than it naturaly would. i also dont think the earths tempurature is going to regulate itself anytime soon befor all our natural resources dries up, if everyone dont stop liveing in a state of denial and do something about it, it will get worst before it gets better. and how is the earth going to have another iceage if all the ice is melting

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I guess someone would think that. yeah i would hope so, you know what irks me the most, people who criticize others who are trying to make a differance while all they do is sit around and do absolutely nothing.. i have yet to figure that one out.

Hi All....I have some strong opinions about this myself and I could quite easily get off on a tangent, HOWEVER since we are a makeup forum, NOT a political or debate forum, let's PLEASE just let people have their opinions (whether we agree with them or not) and not get snippy with each other, okay?? We don't want to have to close the thread, but we will if we have to.

TIA!!!

Latest posts

Back