Alima: what are your honest opinions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Alima's eyeshadows and blushes, particularly matte versions. I think Cocoa is the most beautiful shade for blue eyes and blushes have some very classy shades. About the staying power... I always use a primer (Lumene's) before applying any eyeshadow and they look fine all day even though I have oily lids.

I wanted to bump this up in hopes of more replies as I too am in search of my HG MMU Foundation.
smile.gif
I started with a couple drug store brands first (Maybelline, Physician's Formula & a couple others I can't recall ATM). I then discovered EDM which in the beginning I was happy with but my skin seemed to get even more dry as time went on & I never could get the coverage I really had hoped for OR a shade that truly matched & I did try just about every shade & all the formulation samples. I didn't realize 'til month's later how off the shade I was wearing was when I started taking photos comparing MMU on me & even just looking in the mirror at how they all reacted differently on me. So, I decided I needed to sample some other brands which I did (Lumiere, Joppa, UglowGirl, & Alima). I have Silk Naturals samples on the way.

So far, with Alima, I have found a very good foundation match (N3-very forgiving too) with my first order as well as the coverage (buildable) which I have been seeking. I found a great shade of blush too & am sampling more. Their blushes & ES give me the soft look I want as well. I don't have trouble with staying power with any of these items but I do have normal-dry skin so that probably impacts that. I just love how all the products seem so creamy on my skin.

I find it kind of odd though that when I have tried using different brand blushes with the Alima (EDM for one-which I have a lot of), they enhance my pores.
frown.gif
I had some issues with the EDM MU doing that anyway as well as enhancing lines thus another reason for a need for change). I think I will be able to use the EDM ES but I may actually like Alima's formulation a little better- too soon to say yet.
smile.gif
Am looking forward to trying the SN. If that doesn't work as well as the Alima, then I will order some full size Alima foundation & Blush & more samples of ES as I may have found my HG (I know I go back to alima after trying each new sample brand as I like it SO much better than any that I tried so far).
smile.gif

Edited to say - I think one of the most important things I have learned about MMU is that "one size does not fit all".
biggrin.gif
I think each individual's chemical MU, skin type, etc., can make all the difference as to whether a MMU works well for us or not. For that reason, I find for me that it is difficult for me to tell someone else whether a brand/company will work on their skin unless we have very similar skin but still their skin could react totally differently than mine to it. I guess the best I can do is just share my own experience based on that.
smile.gif

Sorry this is so long - & thank you for taking the time to read this.
smile.gif

I have tried alima foundations and not the rest of their products. As for me it didnt give me enough coverage. It made my face itch and melted away so I dun have a good view abt it. I agree with MMgurl..foundation differs in various pple. I have tried many but not suited me enough...only to cause havoc on my face.

Hope this helps..

thank you for this thread!

I've try to find one and I didn't find.

I read some girls's opinion about the foundations and I found that any girl thinking someting different.

now I'm more confused!!
frown.gif

try it or not???

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif thank you for this thread!
I've try to find one and I didn't find.

I read some girls's opinion about the foundations and I found that any girl thinking someting different.

now I'm more confused!!
frown.gif

try it or not???

Simha, go for it and try it out, if not you will not know. It may be one of ur favourites.

I really like Alima. As you know Lauress is my top choice but Alima is my 2nd. I will say that when I first tried Alima I didn't like it. Turns out it was more because of application and not product. I would recommend a dense brush for their powders. After I used a denser brush and got better coverage I really liked it. It evens out the skintone really well (if you find a match). I like Alima because the blush and e/s colors are softly pigmented. I'm not a fan of bold colors. So if you like a light, natural looking enhancment of makeup, I think Alima is worth a try.

The blushes are lightly pigmented but very "natural blush" looking so it will take a bit more for a dramatic look. I've found the blushes and e/s to be longlasting, but they are lightly pigmented, again nothing drastic about their colors.

I really like their lip glosses as well. But if you're looking for deeper color like a more traditional lipstick, you won't like their gloss. Alima's glosses are more like a tinted gloss than a lip color.

I too couldn't wear Alima's foundation because I have dry skin, but their blushes are my HG. I sampled two colors and loved them so much I ended up ordering both in F/S. They are natural in color; sufficiently pigmented on me though I have medium-dark skin for a Caucasian and very dark hair, but not so pigmented they stain my skin so there's no problem if you accidentally pick up too much on your brush; and they have a lovely shimmer, which those of us of a certain age appreciate since our own skins start losing some of that youthful glow. Their eyeshadows look perfectly nice for office wear, but if you want drama, Shespace is the place to go.

Their foundation may or may not suit you, depending on the skin type. I think it's more for oily skin girls, as they don't have a formula that's creamy and suitable for dry skin. Their concealer, however, is excellent! The best ever! It provides great coverage for pimples/blemishes just by buffing it with a small brush.

The eyeshadows and liner I really didn't like. They didn't have much pigment and seem to adhere to the eyelid at all, even over UDPP. The liner didn't mix well with water, and I didn't end up getting a homegeneous paste, more like clumps here and there.

For those of you that have dry skin & found the Alima didn't work for you, did you know this immediately or did it take time to find this out? I am just curious as I had that issue with EDM foundation. With my samples of the Alima foundation, it appears to work so well for me & my normal-dry skin (& I have lines too). It looks very creamy on me. I find using a primer (tried various ones) with the MMU brands I have tried actually makes my MMU look worse. I just don't want to buy a FS foundie to find it doesn't work later on, ya know?

Also, those of you with dry skin, which brand MMU foundation do you use that works for your dry skin?

The first time I tried the foundation, it just had a really powdery finish on me. I'm used to Meow, which melts into the skin (a bit too well, sometimes--doesn't last quite as long as I'd like). I use Meow's Pampurred Puss formula, which blends into my skin without buffing or finishing powder, and never highlights lines or pores. Meow offers a lot of different shades, and it can be challenging to find the right one, but the gals on the Meow forum are very helpful; on the other hand, the fact that there are so many shades makes it possible to vary your own mix depending on the season, which I like a lot. I might revisit the Alima foundation samples, though, since it could've been related to my skin the week I was sampling them. If Alima's foundation works for you, then go for it. It's a great company.

I really like Alima. They have the cutest packages and great customer service. Their website is among the best, professional and image quality is good.

Alima foundation works well on my skin (combination skin), it has beautiful creamy texture and stays on pretty well. I don't require heavy coverage, so I recommend this for people who like sheer foundations. The cover is somewhat buildable, but I've found that Alima's staying power suffers when I have more product on my face.

I also like their eyecolours. They are not the most pigmented, but the sheerness makes them extremely easy to use in a hurry. I also like the colour selection, it is very understated and well coordinated - for subtle day look you simply can't go wrong with these. For people who seek more drama and contrast there are better options...

I like the fact that Alima has both matte and shimmery eyeshadows and blushes - and that they are clearly separated in the website. There are couple of really great blush shades for very fair skinned people, cool pink Tulip and warm peachy Mimosa, my very pale skinned friend is in love with these. I've also heard some good reviews about Alimas red neutralizing powder, the shade is not minty but more like pistachio green, it does not give that ashy look too easily.

Alimas brushes are also top quality. I don't have any, but my friend uses the foundation brush and praises it constantly. And she's not the only one with the positive user experience.

I love Alima's foundation!!! It provides just enough coverage for me and makes my skin look airbrushed which I love. I have combination skin and I find just the tip of my nose shiny after a few hours - not bad at all compared to EDM which only lasted a couple of hours before it all melted off. I also have acne-prone/sensitive skin and I haven't broken out more than usual. I asked their makeup artist to suggest shades for me to sample (based on other makeup brands I have tried already) and she was so spot on I had a perfect match with my first sample order. I've tried one blush (Honey Rose) which was a bit too pink against my Warm4 complexion. It's very pigmented and I think I was a bit oo heavy with my hand to begin with. I tried applying with my MAC stippling brush and voila - perfect! I'm about to sample their other blushes and eyeshadows. I wholeheartedly agree with previous comments on their customer service - they are excellent!

I have to add also, Alima's CS is awesome. I live in mid Michigan, they are in Portland, Oregon & from the time I place an order until I receive it, 2 different times, I received it in 3 days (USPS no less)!
biggrin.gif

Their MU artist was extremely helpful for me as well. My match was in my first order. I just ordered a FS foundie & a lot more samples of their ES & Blushes. Their shimmer ES even look good on my "old" eyes.
biggrin.gif
Pretty decent color payoff as well. Love their blushes too.

MMUgurl:

I have tried Alima as well and I personally think that it is just an OK foundation. It provides a very sheer coverage for me and I prefer something heavier (I am using Lucy Minerals). If you have dry skin, I would highly recommend trying Laura Merciers Mineral Powder as I have found this to be very conditioning and smooth/creamy to apply. The only problem is that it contains bismuth oxychloride which some people find irratate their skin. Several years ago when I used BE, it did make my skin itch but now it doesnt happen anymore so I am ok with it. I highly recommend getting a sample. Hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Back