All about brows (article)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All About Brow Brushes

<!-- End: contenthead -->

<!-- End: byline -->
brwbrsh.jpg

<!-- Begin: Related Links -->Good brows frame your face and can make the application of eyeshadow a breeze. A brush helps keep your brows well groomed. There are two basic types of eyebrow brush: One is rectangular with short, stiff bristles; it looks a bit like a small toothbrush (in a pinch you can use a baby toothbrush). This brush is best used for general grooming and after the application of brow pencil to blend your brows with the pencil lines. The other brush is stiff and angled. This one is used with powders that are brushed onto brows to enhance them. The unique shape of this brush allows you to apply the powder very precisely.

Finding Your Brow Shape

eye_brow.jpg

<!-- Begin: Related Links -->

<!-- End: Related Links --><!-- V/5 generated DART tag v2.1 --><!-- sstype=other --><!--DART params(5|4tbw|8htg|/v_beauty/makeup/lashes:230264)--><!-- Template Id = 770 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash with OPAQUE VALUE) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><NOEMBED></NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End DART Tag -->

<!-- End: advert -->

<!-- End: advertWrapper --><!-- Article Content -->To determine exactly where your brow should begin, hold a makeup brush or a pencil straight up and down against one nostril. Where the pencil lands by your brow is where it should begin. The brow should end a little past your eye (if it grows down too far it will drag your eyes down). If you have a natural arch, work with it. If you need to create one, look into your eyes. The arch of your eyebrow should fall directly above the outside of your iris. Using an eyebrow pencil, fill in the brow area that you want to preserve so you can pluck outside the edges.

Begin tweezing from underneath the brow, removing one hair at a time from the inside of the brow to the outside. If part of your brow is thin enough already, do not pluck that area. Pull hairs in the direction in which they grow. Next, using a small brush, brush your brows upward. If they are too long, trim them very conservatively, cutting only a tiny amount at a time.

Once your brows are well shaped, you can use a variety of products to enhance them or fill them in as needed. Check out brow fixers, tinted brow gels, brow powders and brow pencils.

Grooming Brows at Home

tweez.jpg

Whether you spend four or 40 minutes on your makeup, well-groomed brows are the difference between looking okay and looking fabulous. A well-shaped brow can lift and open your eyes, making you look younger, more sophisticated and more rested. If your brows are truly unruly, splurge and get them done by a professional, then be diligent about removing new growth to maintain the shape.

To reshape your brows yourself you'll need about 40 minutes. Don't rush. Once you pluck a hair, it takes a long time to grow back. Here are the tools you'll need:

• A large mirror near a window (natural light will allow you to see each brow hair clearly).
  • A good pair of tweezers. (We love Revlon's slanted/rounded angle tweezers or anything from Tweezerman.)
  • Grooming scissors.
  • A small brush (either a baby toothbrush or an old mascara wand that's been cleaned will do).
Remember, less is more. You can always go back and pluck again. Before you pluck, determine what your best shape is. In many cases, nature has already given you an arch that will become more obvious when you remove hairs along the bottom of the brow. Don't try to copy someone else's brow -- work with what you have.

Great info, Diane!! You come through once again with another great informative post!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Awwww...TY
smile.gif
I'm glad you guys like them because I enjoy sharing them. It's fun for me and it's actually a good stress reliever!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Great info, Diane!! You come through once again with another great informative post!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Diane, great post. I'm brow-obsessed & this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting!
smile.gif

Speaking of brows, can anybody recommend something for keeping them in place? I usually use vaseline (pertroleum jelly) but i think i'd like to by something better now
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura Speaking of brows, can anybody recommend something for keeping them in place? I usually use vaseline (pertroleum jelly) but i think i'd like to by something better now
biggrin.gif
I use some Origins stuff called Brow Fix which is a gel that fixes your brows in place. It's basically a clear mascara so if you get a clear mascara it could do double duty. Anyone know of a good one?

That's just the kind of thing i'm looking for sweetie.. Might add that to my wishlist for now
biggrin.gif

I don't do anything with mine brows....iam scared of them. once i tried to plug the next day i got bump on the brows so from then i don't do nothing. but reading this article feel like to do something with them, eventhough people think i plug cuz it's seems like. i did.

40 minutes plucking?
eek.gif
Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!

I pluck like 3 or 4 hairs a day -- that is enough to make the skin all around the brow bright red and sore! However if I remember to pluck almost every day, I can maintain a decent shape....

Latest posts

Back